Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-23-2022, 06:13 AM   #1
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Thumbs up Nick Cave dunking on Billy Corgan after he licked his microphone (?)

there was also burly growling

all this and more

Old 06-23-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Old 06-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #3
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

I love that this starts with a dumb question dictated by MTV and then Billy's like "screw this, I'm going to ask some good ones" and proceeds to utterly fuck up every single thing coming out of his mouth

Oh right you're Australian but —, right but people think —, oh but typical teens —, no, I'm 27 but —

Old 06-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #4
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

This must have been very hard for Billy's ego. He got owned.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

B'arcy got owned, no question, but they both seem casual about it. BC even being a bit self-effacing, which is nice to see.

Nick Cave's music is unlistenable if these clips are representative

Old 06-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought it wasn't that bad or awkward - either BC didn't know he was Australian, or he was making the point that *any* non-US music is harder to break into the US. Which was correct at the time, esp in 1994 (Oasis were just around the corner, but they hardly "broke" America either).

I thought Nick was pretty polite. Billy must know how dispiriting it is to do the same interview 15 times a day.

BC looks SO cherubic here, it's ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:29 AM   #7
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Someone asked him about this back when he did the Instagram Q&As and he got livid. I'm sure he reflects upon it nightly when updating his mountainous enemies list.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #8
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I thought Nick was pretty polite.
hahahaha

Old 06-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I love that this starts with a dumb question dictated by MTV and then Billy's like "screw this, I'm going to ask some good ones" and proceeds to utterly fuck up every single thing coming out of his mouth

Oh right you're Australian but —, right but people think —, oh but typical teens —, no, I'm 27 but —

and Nick keeps talking THE WHOLE TIME

Old 06-23-2022, 12:27 PM   #10
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Having seen this a hundred times over the years all it really comes off as to me is that Nick is just an asshole. He doesn't get what Billy was saying, tries to make him look like a joke and ultimately comes off as a dour, uninteresting person. I don't personally see any "owning" in this. More so why Nick never broke through in America. In 30 years post interview his entire discography hasn't sold more copies combined than Siamese Dream sold during the year this interview came out. Now that is a freakin' own if you ask me.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:57 PM   #11
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I thought it wasn't that bad or awkward - either BC didn't know he was Australian, or he was making the point that *any* non-US music is harder to break into the US.
Okay, so Billy says like "European, especially English bands" and when Cave says they're not English, Billy corrects himself that Cave is Australian (as in, Billy knows but forgot), but "you live in England" or something, so that's why he messed up. It's clear he was talking about Cave's band as English and that English bands especially have a hard time. So none of what you said is correct. Especially the part about Cave being polite, holy shit, his first response is "well my manager told me we were doing this," which is the kind of thing you say when you're a sullen teenager at the dinner table and your dad is trying to get you to take your headphones off and talk about how school was today.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:38 PM   #12
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
In 30 years post interview his entire discography hasn't sold more copies combined than Siamese Dream sold during the year this interview came out. Now that is a freakin' own if you ask me.
Cave scored (and appeared in) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and both the score and movie are fucking masterpieces, and he has several acclaimed documentaries about him. I also have the impression he's pretty well-liked in the musical world. Corgan scored Stigmata and has zero docs, and I think it's clear he has always had zero friends in the community. In terms of, like, respect from your peers and how many people will show up at your funeral, I don't think it's a contest.

Why am I comparing soundtracks? It feels vaguely more meaningful than sales at the very least. Money is a pretty fucked-up measure of a person or piece of art imo. Like oh, Thomas Kinkade sold a ton of paintings in his lifetime and Van Gogh sold one. OWNED. Elon Musk owned Mother Theresa, Avengers: Endgame owned Seven Samurai, on and on. It's all fucked, dude. This is child-brain shit. It's, what is Slunken saying lately, Guns 'n' Roses? I don't know if I'm doing this part right.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:55 PM   #13
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Nick Cave's sass is so dry that half the board misses it altogether

he's roasting Corgan the entire interview

"are these your questions?"

"so you have the mindset of a teenager?"

lolol

Old 06-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #14
slunken
Virgo

as much as this is a hilarious dunk on billy, i lived with a guy for several years (pause) who was a giant Nick Cave fan. I still don't get it.

Yea sure the big songs hit like "stagger lee" (obviously) but I just don't get it overall

Old 06-23-2022, 06:02 PM   #15
slunken
Virgo

Once drove to Kansas and back (39 hours round trip) listening to the same 3 Nick Cave CDs over and over again and my takeaway was 'all of this sucks except for the good songs which are huge bangers"

Old 06-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #16
slunken
Virgo

I just don't understand the entry point

I NEED an entry point to enjoy music

Old 06-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #17
slunken
Virgo

so embarassed i even have to post this fuck my spelling is bad i'm getting more dumb

Old 06-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #18
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

yea some guys everybody goes nuts over but for me it's like "this sounds like a really obnoxious dude at an open mic"

I am not naming any names

Old 06-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #19
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Old 06-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #20
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
yea some guys everybody goes nuts over but for me it's like "this sounds like a really obnoxious dude at an open mic"

I am not naming any names
hahahaha but what a vibe

Old 06-23-2022, 06:13 PM   #21
slunken
Virgo

i mean being drunk

Old 06-23-2022, 06:15 PM   #22
slunken
Virgo

Old 06-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #23
Shallowed
Braindead

Unhappy

this was also the first day of the tour. poor billy wouldn't have even gone on stage yet

Old 06-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #24
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Nick Cave slams. If you don’t like it you’re just too low brow.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:39 PM   #25
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cave
how old are you?

ahahahaaa killed him

Old 06-23-2022, 11:09 PM   #26
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Nick Cave slams. If you don’t like it you’re just too low brow.
ok Elphenor

Old 06-23-2022, 11:14 PM   #27
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

this interview always seemed to me more like a way for folks who already hated our dear Bilbo to just get in some more easy eyerollers on him, Nick was pretty savage but Billy here is essentially a very fresh, early-90s "pop star" being set up to interview fellow ROCKERS with whatever easy bullshit MTV might or might not have given him

like oooh he said English when you're actually Australian. that's about as relevant at that time to that audience as if an Australian mixed up a Texan & Kentuckian

making an album with Kylie & being in a pivotal scene on the Dumb & Dumber soundtrack were probably the coolest things this dude ever did, Bill's done some of the most cringe-worthy, indefensible bullshit imaginable short of something actually modern-day "cancellable" & his golden era shit is still fucking gold

have a nice night!

Old 06-24-2022, 03:25 AM   #28
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Okay, so Billy says like "European, especially English bands" and when Cave says they're not English, Billy corrects himself that Cave is Australian (as in, Billy knows but forgot), but "you live in England" or something, so that's why he messed up. It's clear he was talking about Cave's band as English and that English bands especially have a hard time. So none of what you said is correct. Especially the part about Cave being polite, holy shit, his first response is "well my manager told me we were doing this," which is the kind of thing you say when you're a sullen teenager at the dinner table and your dad is trying to get you to take your headphones off and talk about how school was today.
What I said still stands, he was making the point that non-US bands struggle to break the US.

As for polite or not, that's all relative.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #29
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I just don't understand the entry point

I NEED an entry point to enjoy music
The Birthday Party

Old 06-25-2022, 12:47 PM   #30
slunken
Virgo

Been there, done that