Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i'm using a completely new browser there are no cookies to clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i'm using a completely new browser there are no cookies to clear
love it

have you tried sending it back and asking for a new one?

Old 06-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #5974
cork_soaker
full of longing

seems to me, this guy needs a sound card upgrade

Old 06-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #5975
slunken
Virgo

i kind of fixed it

thanks, turds

Old 06-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #5976
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Finally got around to watching The Many Saints of Newark. Being a huge Sopranos fan, I was apprehensive about this. It's very challenging to have a whole new cast play a whole universe of characters so fully inhabited and developed by the original cast. Almost every character on the Sopranos is very round and there are a lot of callbacks to the show here, some more obvious and some less. Sometimes it also ends up feeling a little bit forced but I guess that's to be expected from a feature like this.

More than anything else I see this as David Chase's farewell tour to all these characters that are obviously still in his flesh and blood. He's a special writer imo. The characters are mostly very consistent with who they were on the show. This feels like a particularly dense, double length Sopranos episode. Alan Taylor also directed some episodes for the show and I thought he did a decent job overall of keeping the show's tone but also being a slightly more cinematically romanticized and glam-y version of it, especially seeing as the film takes place in the 60s\70s.

In the original show I always got this sense like David Chase deeply loved James Gandolfini somehow. Their work together, the writing and acting and direction combined created one of the greatest antiheroes ever, imho. Simultaneously beautiful and ugly in equal measures, as weak as he is strong, you can't look away from him making every wrong choice. James Gandolfini’s presence and amazing acting made that entire show possible, because he was so in tune with the character, Chase could really go places in his writing, and trust that it will all fall into place around Gandolfini.

In that sense, his son’s presence in the film as young Tony justifies the existence this film in a similar way. He just has the same blue moon in his eyes. It’s pretty wild. It really does just seem like Tony Soprano as a young kid. The type of de-aging you cannot fake. An authentic cinematic pleasure that occurs very rarely. Seeing his face and eyes react to things, it’s like, it lines up perfectly with the Tony we’ve watched for 6 seasons. It’s simply there. He's not the finest actor, but it works just because it's him.

There’s some nice little touches, like how Tony’s mother Livia looked a lot like Carmela when she was young (actually Livia has always been one of the most well written characters on the show, and she's written just as well here). Corrado’s arc. Or how Tony does the same things as a teenager as AJ and gets told off in the same undeterring ways. Many parallels and I'm very sure this will reward multiple viewings.

You can't really call this a perfect A+ movie, it's not that, and some characters sometimes feel a little like a caricature of themselves. The acting can be hit and miss. But I still loved it. In a world full of endless bullshit, this film comes across to me as a true labor of love, a real passion project. A passing of the torch, and honoring that prolific friendship with a lot of respect and gratitude. I love David Chase more than any other modern day showrunner and I wish there were more people like him around.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 06-28-2022 at 04:26 AM.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:23 PM   #5977
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - B-
Not a movie, but felt like one, The Bear - A

Old 06-29-2022, 05:58 PM   #5978
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

yeah, Bear was great! wonder if they're even thinking of a 2nd season or if it was meant to be one of those "beginning is really the ending" type of things

Old 06-29-2022, 06:03 PM   #5979
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
yeah, Bear was great! wonder if they're even thinking of a 2nd season or if it was meant to be one of those "beginning is really the ending" type of things
yeah i'm back and forth on whether a second season would be worth the risk of tainting the show. it was such a good end-to-end season of tv, as much as i immediately wished there was more of those characters to watch when i finished, i kinda think learning too much more about them and where they end up might ruin the vibe.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:42 AM   #5980
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

Prey (Comanche dub): A fucking plus. Never seen a Predator film in its entirety before (seen enough to recognize a couple homages here) but I think it'd be tough to beat this one. Amber Midthunder (r) and Coco (l) whip ass and would happily put an arrow through any anti-woke incel's cranium

Old 08-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #5981
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

Prey (Comanche dub): A fucking plus. Never seen a Predator film in its entirety before (seen enough to recognize a couple homages here) but I think it'd be tough to beat this one. Amber Midthunder (r) and Coco (l) whip ass and would happily put an arrow through any anti-woke incel's cranium
It was very good. Better than I expected from the previous films.

I think they dubbed scenes that were shot in English into Comanche with native Comanche speakers, since Midthunder (I think) is Sioux and doesn't speak the language. I'd like to hear how it sounded to people who speak Comanche. One of the criticisms i read of the new show Dark Winds was that most of the actors were not Diné and their dialogue made that obvious.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #5982
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Tbh I’ve never seen any predator film but I do enjoy the fact that Prey is making conservatives mad.

The last movie I watched was the Death of Stalin which I watched with my dad last night. It’s not really my style of humor so I think a lot of the jokes were lost on me. My dad thought it was very funny though.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:06 PM   #5983
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
I think they dubbed scenes that were shot in English into Comanche with native Comanche speakers, since Midthunder (I think) is Sioux and doesn't speak the language. I'd like to hear how it sounded to people who speak Comanche.
Of the eight folks listed on the credits for the dub, only one character (Wasape) was not dubbed by the original actor; everyone else, Midthunder included, did their own lines.

One of the producers is Comanche/Blackfeet and was brought on to make sure everything was authentic, so I was figuring the language was pretty spot-on, but yeah, I guess I'd be curious as well, particularly if someone like Midthunder got the accent/pronunciation passably good. I've seen some people complain the French dialogue was not great, so...?

Old 08-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #5984
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Fuck the French!

Old 08-10-2022, 04:33 PM   #5985
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Finally, a Predator film that accurately depicts the French and the level of respect they deserve

Old 08-10-2022, 09:49 PM   #5986
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Nope

3/5

some parts were good n the perfect amount of scary. other times, the acting was distracting and elements of the story seemed just like filler and offered nothing to the story. which, in the beginning especially made it tough to know where it was going.

i got to see it with tommy and our friend though and hang out afterward at early dinner and then a bar so it was all good in that context.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:37 AM   #5987
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Watched Vanilla Sky the other night.

Just seems so very appropriate to watch a film about life turning out to be a nightmare?

This movie was grilled so hard at the time. I quite enjoyed it. I think the way Tom Cruise was utilized on this, especially in an era of his life where he was approaching his peak insanity, works incredibly well. Kurt Russell is great on it too. Cameron diaz and Penelope Cruz too. The whole cast works particularly well.

It's interesting how Cameron Crowe, aka the Rolling Stone guy who directed Almost Famous, used music in this film in a way that feels extremely dated to a very particular period in early 2000s. In that way, it makes the film seem like much more of a heavy pop product now, even though at the time it was made those songs weren't so overplayed yet. But it's kinda cool because it adds a dissociative, out of contex layer.

I just love surreal nightmarish films with psychedelic ideas and they were going for it in a big, lovely way. Bizarre displacements, jarring little things, a lot of work going into small details. I read a quote of Cameron Crowe saying, "as deep as you wanted to look into the movie, I wanted it to be able to meet you there", and I really love that. Definitely need to watch this a few more times.

I think it's incredible to think that Tom Cruise has done Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, and Vanilla Sky all in the span of 2 years only. Between those three films, I think we get to see the real him. Which is, kinda, no one.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:50 PM   #5988
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Did you also see Abre los Ojos?

Ah-bray losh ohosh... Ah-bray losh ohosh... Ah-bray losh ohosh...

Old 08-17-2022, 12:26 AM   #5989
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post

I think it's incredible to think that Tom Cruise has done Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, and Vanilla Sky all in the span of 2 years only. Between those three films, I think we get to see the real him. Which is, kinda, no one.
He is mesiah of Scientology. I don't think any of his films show his real self.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:47 AM   #5990
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Constantine

kinda dated but not quite as much as other stuff from around that time particularly in the action/anything-comic-or-graphic-novel-related mid-00s

uh

it was fun to watch

and i didn't fall asleep

good grade?

Old 08-17-2022, 12:48 AM   #5991
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

it was certainly a movie

and it certainly had things that were fuckin' goofy to an almost eyerolling degree but what cinematic classic doesn't? particularly in a world where stuff like Magnolia is considered peak filmmaking

Old 08-17-2022, 12:49 AM   #5992
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i like Magnolia, ftr

but come the fuck on

Old 08-17-2022, 04:55 AM   #5993
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Did you also see Abre los Ojos?

Ah-bray losh ohosh... Ah-bray losh ohosh... Ah-bray losh ohosh...
Not yet, but planning to.

The Spanish director was notably super cool about the american remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
He is mesiah of Scientology. I don't think any of his films show his real self.
I'm sure the depth of his insanity is way more severe than he ever lets leak out, we agree on that.

In those 3 movies you definitely see him connect personally with the material. Just a tiny crack in the fortress.

I find him terrifying.

Not sure if this is well known trivia, but Christian Bale based his character in American Psycho on an interview Tom Cruise did on Letterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
i like Magnolia, ftr

but come the fuck on
I love Magnolia as much as the next guy but the final third of that film is cringe everytime

Hard to imagine now the kind of latitude there was to be had in the 90s lol

Old 08-17-2022, 09:34 AM   #5994
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

THE WAILING: B+? I'm not sure I was in the right mood for this, as I was getting a little bored in the middle. That last 45 minutes or so, though, when everything really starts twisting and turning and going to hell: that's fuckin' cinema, baby! Just the right amount of ambiguity, where I think you can reach any number of conclusions and have reasonable evidence for each.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #5995
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Had an unexplained compulsion to watch The Machinist tonight after skipping it all those years.
Gets a legit A+ from me.

It's got that distinct early 2000s flavor. Somehow I've been weirdly into that kind of crappiness lately? People still use pencils and landlines and you get a glimpse of the world right before it all really started going down the toilet. It was a little offputting at first, so to balance it out I changed my attitude to watch it as a 50's type film with very clear cut sets and characters, if that makes sense. Glad I did that because it's a way better movie than what it looks like in the first 45 minutes.

It's actually very cleverly constructed and put together. Even when things are going predictably according to thriller formula, especially of that era, the film keeps disorienting you with surreal little things that make you double take. Hey hold up did I imagine that thing there, something not being quite right about this or that, jarring little connections. Sometimes it's insanely obvious but often also done in cool and subtle ways.

Juaquin Phoenix memorably said one time about Christian Bale, "the way he commits to roles is something I can only dream of". And Juaquin is the only man I'll ever love. I could really see what he meant in this movie. Bale committed so hard to this, totally drowned himself in that part and he really sells it in a way that's so deep and totally undeniable. Without his performance this movie likely would have been just another faceless thriller. He makes it real.

Jennifer Jason Leigh was amazing too - her presence in this movie is so warm and comforting, the only solace to this otherwise grim, cold and psychotic movie. She can act.

I could have done with slightly less of the "aww he was a GOOD GUY after all" outro, but regardless, it cuts right through the fucking heart. On the surface level it's a big fat thriller, but at its heart it's a very soulful movie about escaping responsibility. About absolute refusal to be completely honest with yourself, only marginally preferring boundless agony. So much so that everything loses meaning, that all things stop making sense altogether. But the right way is always to address it, just to take the fucking dive and surrender yourself.

Made me cry in a kind of delayed fuse response, like 2 minutes after the film was over, not from any scene but from that processing.

6 days sober. Wish me luck.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:32 PM   #5996
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Hatching

A+

Splendid horror. The overt metaphor did not detract in any way from the emotional effect. Will especially resonate with gifted children raised by narcissists.

Cried for 5 minutes afterward, in a good way

Old 10-08-2022, 06:43 AM   #5997
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

THE WAILING: B+? I'm not sure I was in the right mood for this, as I was getting a little bored in the middle. That last 45 minutes or so, though, when everything really starts twisting and turning and going to hell: that's fuckin' cinema, baby! Just the right amount of ambiguity, where I think you can reach any number of conclusions and have reasonable evidence for each.
Masterpiece.

Old 10-09-2022, 02:39 PM   #5998
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

triangle of sadness.

A, I think, although I'm still not sure what I just watched. Every moment of the 2,5 hours I witnessed with bated breath.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:19 AM   #5999
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Hellraiser (2022): B, B+? Well-made, cool-as-hell Cenobite designs. Maybe I've just been watching mostly "elevated" horror for a really long time, but the story sort of felt like a 2000s slasher, particularly toward the end? Can't get into why without spoilers. Wouldn't it have been nifty if the six "gifts"/stages of the box had anything to do with who died and how? And I see a lot of praise for the drug addiction, "chasing the high" angle, but I felt like it could have been better developed. Like... what if the recovering addict wanted to keep opening the box, felt compelled, so that the shit that went down was actually her fault?

Watcher (2022): B+. Does everything right; I loved how Monroe is framed like she's trapped somehow in so many shots of her, and I liked that the foreign setting isn't treated as sinister; it's just that her not knowing the language is part of feeling helpless, and her husband's work buddies are rude to keep switching back to Romanian around her when they clearly don't struggle with English. Wanted things to amp up more before the climax, but that's on me, not the movie.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #6000
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

M3GAN (trailer): A fucking plus

It's a shame Turnt Up Elizabeth Olsen GLaDOS Murder Doll doesn't make a fun acronym but by God I'll let it go

From the writer of Malignant so, trust me, if you're laughing you are not outsmarting the movie