Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #61
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

cats are cursed creatures

except for the ones that think they are dogs. they're cool because they act like dogs.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #62
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

this cat was the opposite of cursed except his house burned down

Old 11-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #63
yo soy el mejor

i had two interviews this week (one yesterday and today) and both places want me to interview again. tomorrow with one and the other TBD. i have a first-time interview next tuesday with a library foundation. won't this torment ever end?

Old 11-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #64
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

same dude

Old 11-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #65
yo soy el mejor

i canceled that library foundation interview because i read the job description again and was like nah. plus, it seemed like a stuffy place to work. i think i just got excited because the first job i ever applied for at 16 was to be a page at my local library and i was so bummed i didn't get it.

had a final interview today and 95% it was just a formality and they will hire me. but i am still applying for other cool jobs n shit. have a first round interview at 3pm and submitted my resume and cover letter to a race and public policy research center.

is anyone besides dogfighter and myself actively looking for a job? sheesh. i told my therapist it feels like i am a celebrity on a press junket.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #66
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

only the ones where I fuck the interviewer to get the job

Old 11-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #67
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

ok i'll admit it, that is all of them

Old 11-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #68
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i feel very good

Old 11-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #69
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i

is anyone besides dogfighter and myself actively looking for a job? sheesh. i told my therapist it feels like i am a celebrity on a press junket.
I saw 16 hiring signs in one smallish shopping center today. Basically all of them for more than what I make. If I didn't need extreme flexibility in terms of hours (I can stop and start whenever throughout the day, and work at any time without needing to discuss this with anyone) then I would happily be a Best Buy cashier for $20 per hour.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:45 AM   #70
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

That’s rough ilp. $20 to be a cashier does sound great tbh

I’m looking. I had reasonable feedback about the last interview and came close, apparently. I wasn’t sure I wanted it - it was fixed term and probably less money than I get, now.

But I’ve been in fairly high stress public facing roles for a couple of years now and I feel a growing need to reduce the amount of trauma I come into contact with each day…I’m parenting two teenage boys now and I just have no emotional energy left at the end of the day, which is, as my older teen would say, a bit “ratshit” for them

Old 11-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #71
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Finding that balance is not negotiable, particularly as a single parent.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:21 AM   #72
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

So many bills to pay…definitely at preschool age it was non-negotiable for me

But now my salary pays for things that on the balance seem to give them more than my emotional availability (private school, expensive extracurriculars like rowing)

When they were very young nothing could replace me - kids need the focused attention and care of a stable primary caregiver…but mine are 13 and 16 now

There is a slight deficit in quality time though…I’m trying pretty hard to do something about it

But sadly everything is negotiable. I’ve actually thought a lot about boarding school

And I wish we had summer camps like the U.S.

Old 11-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #73
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Private school will never be on the table for mine, as much as I'd like it. I guess I shouldn't say never, but it seems impossible. She really needs it, too. So I do my best supplementing, with no educational background and just a lot of care and effort. It'd be fucking great if Covid regulations were taken seriously around here and I could confidently return her to preschool, but I guess I'm holding out until she's 5 and can get a vaccine.

To stay on topic, I don't think I could handle a job change right now with all the things going on, anyway. My family and I are planning to move across the country by the summer so we can return to our own culture, and the east coast has ample job opportunities that will be suited to whatever small pool of skills I have. Should be a dynamic year!

Old 11-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #74
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Like, really, REALLY dynamic.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #75
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Yeah, my job situation is so perfect for moving that I'm definitely not looking for anything new any time soon. When/if I move to Massachusetts next year, I'll be surrounded by universities and min wage is $15. Driving around saw tons of places advertising $18+, and all the little shops have touch-POS systems that assume you'll tip for everything (which I think most people do), so I can imagine baristas and ice cream shops and other services that are rarely tipped here are almost always there. I make more than that now but nice to know if I ever needed it I could actually pay rent with a retail job there and that virtually everyone you're interacting with is making an actual living wage. When I quit part time at Publix at the beginning of the pandemic I was making under $14/hr after like seven years lol. I was hired at $9. I think their minimum is $11 now that FL minimum is $10. They did have different pay scales for FT and PT, but I think max customer service staff pay was something like $17/hr. Which is two promotions up from cashier and involves dealing with tens of thousands of dollars in cash a day, being in charge of the entire customer service/front end department for entire shifts, and handling high stakes/high fraud wire transactions constantly. What a joke.

Last edited by reprise85 : 11-14-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:11 AM   #76
Cool As Ice Cream

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Like, really, REALLY dynamic.
Perhaps this is the most dynamic thing we have seen the Pumpkins do since Jimmy would come out and play guitar on 1979 or in the small clip during Mayonnaise in Vieuphoria where we see Billy playing drums and later he would play the timpani in 2008.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:50 AM   #77
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Private school will never be on the table for mine, as much as I'd like it. I guess I shouldn't say never, but it seems impossible. She really needs it, too. So I do my best supplementing, with no educational background and just a lot of care and effort. It'd be fucking great if Covid regulations were taken seriously around here and I could confidently return her to preschool, but I guess I'm holding out until she's 5 and can get a vaccine.

To stay on topic, I don't think I could handle a job change right now with all the things going on, anyway. My family and I are planning to move across the country by the summer so we can return to our own culture, and the east coast has ample job opportunities that will be suited to whatever small pool of skills I have. Should be a dynamic year!
This reminds me of a post I made about retreating to the middle class suburbs I was familiar with, to raise my children in

I recommend not ever half-jokingly using the phrase hoi polloi to describe the people living in the area you are moving away from. Netpho does not forgive

Old 11-15-2021, 05:55 AM   #78
vixnix
Socialphobic

I applied for a job that was only listed internally at my workplace today

It was created pretty much for a colleague of mine (we currently have the same job) but the message was that everyone should apply

I find it really difficult to apply for a job without convincing myself that I want it. So now I’m bracing for the inevitable disappointment of being just a pawn in the “best practice” hiring process of my colleague

Job seeking is death

Old 11-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #79
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I can imagine baristas and ice cream shops and other services that are rarely tipped here are almost always there. I make more than that now but nice to know if I ever needed it I could actually pay rent with a retail job there and that virtually everyone you're interacting with is making an actual living wage.
I was gonna say you've got way too much faith in the good people of Massachusetts, but apparently they do tip pretty decently? What the fuck? Wages for baristas are higher than the national average, too.

Cost of living is a lot higher in MA than FL, though. I know you've got a sweet job setup and this is all moot, but if you did ever decide to go retail, I have to imagine you'd need at least one roommate, probably multiple, if you had to get by on that.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #80
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I was gonna say you've got way too much faith in the good people of Massachusetts, but apparently they do tip pretty decently? What the fuck? Wages for baristas are higher than the national average, too.

Cost of living is a lot higher in MA than FL, though. I know you've got a sweet job setup and this is all moot, but if you did ever decide to go retail, I have to imagine you'd need at least one roommate, probably multiple, if you had to get by on that.
I live in one of the most expensive parts of Florida, though, so I'm already paying more than what the average person in Florida is paying (and doing ok). And the area I'd be moving to, just looking at rents, one bedrooms are around the same as here, but two bedrooms (which is what I am going to try to get so that I can both have an office and deduct a portion of utilities from taxes) are only $100-$200 more (vs $400-$500 here). So I'm assuming it's in one of the cheaper parts of Mass (e.g., not Boston). Food in the store seemed a little cheaper (though I didn't look much and I trust statistics more than anecdotal experience), but eating out was definitely more. But yes, I agree, I probably couldn't live alone on that salary, and idk if I could handle living with someone else.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #81
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
This reminds me of a post I made about retreating to the middle class suburbs I was familiar with, to raise my children in

I recommend not ever half-jokingly using the phrase hoi polloi to describe the people living in the area you are moving away from. Netpho does not forgive
Yeah, you know that's not how I feel. None of us can deal with living in the middle of nowhere anymore.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #82
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
Perhaps this is the most dynamic thing we have seen the Pumpkins do since Jimmy would come out and play guitar on 1979 or in the small clip during Mayonnaise in Vieuphoria where we see Billy playing drums and later he would play the timpani in 2008.
Even CRAZIER. I got some wild cards hidden.

Old 11-16-2021, 06:21 AM   #83
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Yeah, you know that's not how I feel. None of us can deal with living in the middle of nowhere anymore.
Sorry, when you said return to your culture I thought you meant educated middle class culture rather than metropolitan culture

I guess I treat them as interchangeable because I am ignorant

Old 11-16-2021, 06:23 AM   #84
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Yeah, my job situation is so perfect for moving that I'm definitely not looking for anything new any time soon. When/if I move to Massachusetts next year, I'll be surrounded by universities and min wage is $15. Driving around saw tons of places advertising $18+, and all the little shops have touch-POS systems that assume you'll tip for everything (which I think most people do), so I can imagine baristas and ice cream shops and other services that are rarely tipped here are almost always there. I make more than that now but nice to know if I ever needed it I could actually pay rent with a retail job there and that virtually everyone you're interacting with is making an actual living wage. When I quit part time at Publix at the beginning of the pandemic I was making under $14/hr after like seven years lol. I was hired at $9. I think their minimum is $11 now that FL minimum is $10. They did have different pay scales for FT and PT, but I think max customer service staff pay was something like $17/hr. Which is two promotions up from cashier and involves dealing with tens of thousands of dollars in cash a day, being in charge of the entire customer service/front end department for entire shifts, and handling high stakes/high fraud wire transactions constantly. What a joke.
How come you’re moving to Massachusetts? Finally sick of the heat and humidity??

Old 11-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #85
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Sorry, when you said return to your culture I thought you meant educated middle class culture rather than metropolitan culture

I guess I treat them as interchangeable because I am ignorant
I'm not on any Emna hate-train. But to clarify, I'm living surrounded by farms and farm people, 30 miles from a Costco or pediatrician. 100 or more miles from a college and no synagogue in sight. That's what I mean by culture, just some access to modern society and maybe a chance to enjoy the arts and a good restaurant. And talk to another Democrat. I grew up firmly in the middle of middle class, and want the ability to sustain that. There's nowhere to work that isn't a gas station or McDonald's where I am, and people are living in family homes that have been inherited for a century. I've described this multiple times. I don't have a superiority complex about it, I'm just majorly out of place.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #86
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Admittedly I do prefer suburbs to the city, but I grew up in both. When I was younger I loathed suburbs and now I don't want to deal with traffic or noise, but I wouldn't mind being close enough. I'm a stereotype. Anything but rural is fine, I can't adjust to being isolated and have always been grossed out by farm animals. Again, it's not a sense of superiority but a lack of access to options and variety.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #87
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
How come you’re moving to Massachusetts? Finally sick of the heat and humidity??
I have friends there, would basically have an instant friend group, which I really need. Also, Republican politics is getting out of control in my state. My therapist is probably moving as well, which is the main reason (besides my mom being here) I never thought about leaving. We should be able to do telehealth though.

My friend had his wedding a couple of months ago and I was his best person. Was in Mass for about 10 days and had a great time. It's just a completely different world up there. I'm going again in December to get a hold on how cold it gets.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #88
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I hope you acquire a Boston accent

Old 11-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #89
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Wow, what did reprise do to piss you off that much? Jesus!

Old 11-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #90
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I actually don't hate Boston accents, I can't be in a bad mood hearing one