View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #25
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
What if the whole goal of the artist is to present the event from a limited, self-absorbed "in-the-moment" point of view? If that accurately represented his feelings at the time, he was fulfilling on of the functions of an artist as a representative of true thoughts/feeling/emotion, no? It's not like SouthPark were both sides get a fair shake at being shit on. Artists are not obliged to represent all experiential and temporal points of view.

You know, the fact that we are actually having this kind of discussion over a song like Christmastime has already given it some redeeming worth...
Yeah, I know what you mean and agree with you, but not in the case of Christmastime. I'm sorry, but my bullshit-o-meter went to 11 when I first heard that crap.

To use your South Park metaphor, remember when Cartmen was writing his songs for Faith (plus) 1? Yeah, I imagine Corgan using the same method to write & record Christmastime. It's just SOOOOO contrived, in a genre that I already feel as totally contrived.