View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 02:40 AM   #5
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
I see you corrected yourself (your edit ruined my Bowie gif ). In an attempt to answer your question, The Cure have had a relatively consistent lineup, plus members have contributed to songwriting over the years. The two bands work quite differently on an internal and creative level. They also still play 2-3 hour shows that span their entire career and they don't seem to loathe their fans the way Billy does.
You just reminded me of something I posted years ago. I think this is the answer to my original post:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=174381

I was listening to some SP1 last night and I was thinking about how many of the songs could have easily ended up being as bad as any SP3 song if they just went in a slightly different direction or had the wrong annoying effects inserted.

Take the song "Freak" for example. There's a dozen SP1 songs that could have ended up sounding like that if the wrong choices were made all the way down the line. I think most of the SP1 songs are like that.

Here's a challenge: Next time you're listening to SP1 think about how the songs you're listening to could have ended up sounding like SP3. I think you'll find that it could have happened EASILY. Add annoying effect here, make a bad decision there... and suddenly the best SP1 songs would end up sounding like SP3.

It's very possible Iha, Darcy, Chamberlain, and the producers involved with the Pumpkins made it cool and hip and relevant...I'm starting to think that Billy Corgan is something like George Lucas, an artist with massive talent but very little TASTE or awareness. When they're relatively "poor" and under great pressure and being shaped by the right influences they'll produce great things (Star Wars 4-6, Corgan pre-SP2). When they become comfortable and work too independently their lack of TASTE and awareness shows (Howard the duck, The Phantom Menace, SP2, SP3).