View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i can see that tarantula could be considered pop but honestly the metal machine epic of machina doesn't have any pop on it but i haven't listened to it in a while

which songs on radiohead's albums post okc do you think are pop?

i mean my definition is
  • 4-5 minutes at most, but best under 4 at least the "uneditable" part, you can have an extended jam out after the song like whirring by the joy formidable
  • simple structure usually verse/chorus/verse/chorus x2+ and maybe a solo in there or so
  • hooks galore
  • memorable, simple, catchy chorus
  • universal message
  • danceable rhythms

wiki sez:

Quote:
Musicologists often identify the following characteristics as typical of the pop music genre:

an aim of appealing to a general audience, rather than to a particular sub-culture or ideology[4]
an emphasis on craftsmanship rather than formal "artistic" qualities[4]
an emphasis on recording, production, and technology, over live performance[11]
a tendency to reflect existing trends rather than progressive developments[11]
much pop music is intended to encourage dancing, or it uses dance-oriented beats or rhythms[11]

The main medium of pop music is the song, often between two and a half and three and a half minutes in length, generally marked by a consistent and noticeable rhythmic element, a mainstream style and a simple traditional structure.[16] Common variants ******* the verse-chorus form and the thirty-two-bar form, with a focus on melodies and catchy hooks, and a chorus that contrasts melodically, rhythmically and harmonically with the verse.[17] The beat and the melodies tend to be simple, with limited harmonic accompaniment.[18] The lyrics of modern pop songs typically focus on simple themes – often love and romantic relationships – although there are notable exceptions.[4]

Harmony in pop music is often "that of classical European tonality, only more simple-minded."[19] Clichés ******* the barbershop harmony (i.e. moving from a secondary dominant harmony to a dominant harmony, and then to the tonic) and blues scale-influenced harmony.[20] "The influence of the circle-of-fifths paradigm has declined since the mid-1950s. The harmonic languages of rock and soul have moved away from the all-encompassing influence of the dominant function. ...There are other tendencies (perhaps also traceable to the use of a guitar as a composing instrument) – pedal-point harmonies, root motion by diatonic step, modal harmonic and melodic organization – that point away from functional tonality and toward a tonal sense that is less directional, more free-floating."[21]