Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
torrents can die too, no?
dunno.
There is no perfect solution.

There are two ways a torrent can die:
  1. People don't seed it
  2. The tracker removes it
You can mitigate the second point by using lots of public trackers.
The first point will be a problem (see cessation of grandeur), but this could be mitigated by using a private tracker, but then you can only have one tracker, and not everyone will have access. The private tracker may also impose restrictions on their format and tags.

With a DDL site like Mega there is a single point of failure. Files may get removed due to a DMCA request, the hosting service may just remove them, or it may get shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
and what "version" should we go for then?
pick the originally shared .shn files, if that's how a set was first shared, without any changes?
or get all these original sets, convert to flac, if necessary, and rename and tag the files in a uniform way, and then torrent those updated sets as the new "best source available"?
We should either share the original files as they were released or leaked, or the same files converted to FLAC. I don't have any preference regarding tags.
We should aim to share the original unmodified audio. This means no noise reduction, perhaps even no track splitting. We don't want to end up in the same situation again where the only thing in active circulation are 13 editions.

I think the QAOS and Adore II demos are the most tricky files here, and is probably what we should base our decision on. They were released as WAVs with funny names, some of the releases were individual songs while some were entire tape sides as one file. I think all of that should be preserved as it is, but perhaps they should be transcoded to FLAC.