View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #28
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
"We were completely into the sad-rock, Cure kind of thing. It took about two or three practices before I realized that the power in his playing was something that enabled us to rock harder than we could ever have imagined."

That quote makes it seem as if Jimmy had more of an effect on Billy than the other way around. Jimmy really changed the way Billy approached music.
I was about to bring up this exact point. Early SP had very simplistic drum rhythms that could be played on a machine, and for a time Jimmy also played in this fashion until Billy and Jimmy could actually work out a new batch of songs for the first time together.

Also, I agree with Billy about the Strat sound. It definitely has a more bright, "articulated" sound.

The thing about the dichotomy in Billy's soloing is something that has always really stuck out to me as well. They are either highly structured, like a lead, and can be rather easily re-created on numerous takes (Cherub Rock is perhaps the best example of this)--or they are some sort of sparsely structured noodling that cannot be easily re-created. I always kind of thought that was on purpose as well, to deal with that very fact that he's somewhat of a technically sloppy player and can't actually recreate them exactly.