Thread: Deftones
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #331
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
I don't know, it's just nothing really new. It has elements of all the stuff I love from Deftones, but it was all done previously and it was done better the first time. I don't hate it, but it's nothing groundbreaking. It's just Deftones. Just sounds like them repeating themselves. I've listened to it a few times and I can only really remember 2 or 3 tracks from it. I'm just not getting a "wow" feeling from it.

Gore is not their Zeitgeist. Gore is their Adore. And all the haters years from now are gonna be like, "Actually, Gore is pretty good." Just like the folks who hated on Saturday Night Wrist and now praise it. Gore is such a triumphant record. I think that's why I love it. Ohms is kinda glum. I hear the riffs, but they just sound a bit same old been there, done that. I kinda wish they pushed the synths even more. Those were the elements I dug from it. Like I really dug Urantia, but then it kinda just keeps repeating itself. There were moments in songs, a riff would come in and I'd think, "Oh, it would've been better if they did this over it," but the riff just repeats itself and never evolves. With some extra layers, extra guitars, could, make it more interesting. I had a lot of that, "Oh, I wish they kinda did this with that riff" or "A lead guitar over that would take it to another level." But what is there just feels more simple and not as exciting.

Played my girl Ohms for the first time the other day and she was way more harsher on it than me. She wasn't too thrilled. She said it was kinda meh. That it all kinda just bled together and was a watered down version of what they've already done. She got into them around White Pony and was a fan of self titled. She liked Urantia though. She said Gore is more memorable.

I want to love it. I just feel blah from it. Has Deftones ever released a "bad" album? No.

Ohms is a 6.8 out of 10 for me. Perhaps it'll change over time. It sadly wasn't love at first sight.

And if wanna talk about bad production, the award goes to Adrenaline. It sounds like someone cranked the treble and forgot about all the other frequencies. Reminds me of listening to an old cassette tape.
Gore is terrible, the band hates it even. It was rushed and it shows. Bad production. Those are just facts.