View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #11
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Unfortunately, the innate cynicism of politics will more or less guarantee that the "successful" aspects of the Trump era will likely live on regardless and I imagine that this would at the very least come in the form of populism in general and a communication style more akin to marketing in the internet age than any roll-out of policy.

While I have tended towards viewing Trump himself as more the symptom of a problem than anything else, his loss would at least signal to the ambitious Machiavellian that better vetting their celebrity and/or provocateur candidate will form a crucial aspect of any long-term strategy — where this one has quite evidently been impossible to keep on-track and now frequently takes inexplicably stupid bites from the hand that feeds. Marjorie Taylor Greene in Georgia, for example, is currently considered a major headache for Republicans in the House of Representatives quite specifically because of her mirroring Trumpism at a time when it is viewed as a threat to maintaining the power it had seized for the right four years ago. Were the Donald himself riding a wave of popularity and cruising towards a likely victory, gun-themed restaurant owners peddling conspiracy theories and run-of-the-mill xenophobia might be beating neurosurgeons in primaries throughout the entire country ahead of November.

P.S. Remember me if, someday, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is elected president under the banner of whichever party circumstances demand.