Thread: FUCK.THIS.SHIT.
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 AM   #11
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbadthing
And she said, 'It's not too late; tell the world, tell the world what happened to her.' And I take her mandate to be the one that is in my heart, the one that I should follow.
Amy Tan

And so she was very proud, because she measured success in terms of money, which is what I started to do as well. My goal then, became to increase the amount of money that I made each month.
Amy Tan

And we have a Constitution, a tradition, a culture that supports that. I hope it continues to support that. I hope it especially continues to support the arts in that direction.
Amy Tan

At the time I was doing business writing, I also had a friend who introduced me to a fiction writer. My friend said that I could meet this woman and tell her how to make some real money.
Amy Tan

Certainly all of us have gone through fights with partners in our life, but that's not drawn from my relationships per se. But I know that I'm going to be subject to that assumption.
Amy Tan

For myself, it's very personal. So I have a hard time accepting what is said about my work when it's taken apart.
Amy Tan

Getting this story out, I realized, was a gift that she was giving me. And there was a gift I could give back to her, and it didn't matter what happened to that book afterwards.
Amy Tan

God, life changes faster than you think.
Amy Tan

I also grew up, thankfully, with a love of language. That may have happened because I was bilingual at an early age. I stopped speaking Chinese when I was five, but I loved words.
Amy Tan

I also thought of playing improvisational jazz and I did take lessons for a while. At first I tried to write fiction by making up things that were completely alien to my life.
Amy Tan

I could already see how people were treating me differently. That's the scary thing.
Amy Tan

I did not lose myself all at once. I rubbed out my face over the years washing away my pain, the same way carvings on stone are worn down by water.
Amy Tan

I did see all of those things, and even more. I discovered how American I was. I also discovered how Chinese I was by the kind of family habits and routines that were so familiar.
Amy Tan

I did some writing in class when I was young just as everybody did. I had to write little essays and things like that.
Amy Tan

I didn't fear failure. I expected failure.
Amy Tan

I didn't want to become a suspicious person. Those were the things that helped me decide what I was going to write.
Amy Tan

I discovered a sense of finally belonging to a period of history which I never felt with American history.
Amy Tan

I don't see myself, for example, writing about cultural dichotomies, but about human connections.
Amy Tan

I find it happening less here partly because people are more aware now of the flaws of political correctness - that literature has to do something to educate people.
Amy Tan

I have a writer's memory which makes everything worse than maybe it actually was.
Amy Tan

I learned to forgive myself, and that enabled me to forgive my mother as a person.
Amy Tan

I loved fairy tales when I was a kid. Grimm. The grimmer the better. I loved gruesome gothic tales and, in that respect, I liked Bible stories, because to me they were very gothic.
Amy Tan

I read a book a day when I was a kid. My family was not literary; we did not have any books in the house.
Amy Tan

I remember all of my teachers. I think of them all as being very kind and dedicated. I remember one teacher in particular.
Amy Tan

I saw my mother in a different light. We all need to do that. You have to be displaced from what's comfortable and routine, and then you get to see things with fresh eyes, with new eyes.
Amy Tan

I started a second novel seven times and I had to throw them away.
Amy Tan

I still did a lot of things out of anger for a while. I was lucky that I met a very kind person, a very good person and that person is now my husband. He is a very sweet man.
Amy Tan

I still have to think about that over and over again, with everything I do in life. It's so easy to get derailed by success.
Amy Tan

I think any mother worries about her daughter losing herself to some boy and ruining her life. So there was a mix of things.
Amy Tan

I think I was a gloomy kid. I was trying to behave, trying to be good. I really loved my father. He was my mentor in a way, so I wanted to please him a lot.
Amy Tan

I think I've always been somebody, since the deaths of my father and brother, who was afraid to hope. So, I was more prepared for failure and for rejection than for success.
Amy Tan

I thought I was clever enough to write as well as these people and I didn't realize that there is something called originality and your own voice.
Amy Tan

I thought it would ruin things, because at that moment in my life I was fairly happy. I was getting along with my mother.
Amy Tan

I thought my life was over then, that all chances of ever going to college - of having a decent life, of being respected - were gone.
Amy Tan

I used to think that my mother got into arguments with people because they didn't understand her English, because she was Chinese.
Amy Tan

I wanted to bury it so that what I thought was the stronger, more independent, American side could come out.
Amy Tan

I wanted to see where she had lived, I wanted to see the family members that had raised her, the daughters she had left behind. The daughters could have been me, or I could have been them.
Amy Tan

I wanted to write stories for myself. At first it was purely an aesthetic thing about craft. I just wanted to become good at the art of something. And writing was very private.
Amy Tan

I was in a school in the third grade and they were thinking of skipping me, putting me in a higher grade. But then somebody said that would be bad psychologically.
Amy Tan

I was intelligent enough to make up my own mind. I not only had freedom of choice, I had freedom of expression.
Amy Tan

I would find myself laughing and wondering where these ideas came from. You can call it imagination, I suppose. But I was grateful for wherever they came from.
Amy Tan

I would still like to have that luxury, to be able to just sit and draw for hours and hours and hours. In a way, that's what I do as a writer.
Amy Tan

If you get this kind of review then you worry about what's going to happen with the next. So there's never any comfort point.
Amy Tan

In America nobody says you have to keep the circumstances somebody else gives you.
Amy Tan

In no other country do you have that opportunity. It's not to say that everything will happen fairly and the way that you want.
Amy Tan

It is that self-determination of your identity, to define what it means to be an American, and that nobody defines that for you.
Amy Tan

It's a luxury being a writer, because all you ever think about is life.
Amy Tan

It's both rebellion and conformity that attack you with success.
Amy Tan

It's hard to believe, but this feeling changes over time. So many people feel this way. It's normal to feel conflicted.
Amy Tan

It's important to give others a sense of hope that it is possible and you can come from really different places in the world and find your own place in the world that's unique for yourself.
Amy Tan

It's not simply material ones or environmental ones. I worry about ethical ones, moral ones, the kinds of compromises that are constantly being made for pragmatic reasons.
Amy Tan

It's very gothic to have a little boy killing a giant, somebody's head being served on a platter, dead people being raised out of the grave.
Amy Tan

Just be open to it and never let yourself despair that this is it.
Amy Tan

My books and my stories are about families, so why wouldn't I tell them the things that I thought were important to our family, that are in my books?
Amy Tan

My mother had a very difficult childhood, having seen her own mother kill herself. So she didn't always know how to be the nurturing mother that we all expect we should have.
Amy Tan

My mother said I was a clingy kid until I was about four. I also remember that from the age of eight she and I fought almost every day.
Amy Tan

My mother, meanwhile, all the time kept saying, 'Write my true story. That's all you have to do. Write my true story.' I kept saying, 'No, that's not fiction. I'm not writing biography.'
Amy Tan

My mother, though, got equally angry at the relative and said, 'For so many years, I carried this shame on my back, and my mother suffered, because she couldn't say anything to anybody.'
Amy Tan

My parents had very high expectations. They expected me to get straight A's from the time I was in kindergarten.
Amy Tan

My parents told me I would become a doctor and then in my spare time I would become a concert pianist. So, both my day job and my spare time were sort of taken care of.
Amy Tan

No one in my family was a reader of literary fiction. So, I didn't have encouragement, but I didn't have discouragement, because I don't think anybody knew what that meant.
Amy Tan

People think it's a terrible tragedy when somebody has Alzheimer's. But in my mother's case, it's different. My mother has been unhappy all her life. For the first time in her life, she's happy.
Amy Tan

Placing on writers the responsibility to represent a culture is an onerous burden.
Amy Tan

She hounded me until I wrote a couple more stories and then she sold that as a collection called The Joy Luck Club.
Amy Tan

She said 'I'm by commission. You don't have to pay anything until you sell anything.' I said, 'Well fine. You want to be my agent and not make anything.' I thought, 'Boy, is she dumb.'
Amy Tan

Some people are going to lose out, but there also might be some compromises made in the world.
Amy Tan

That was a wonderful period in my life. I mean, I didn't become an artist, but somebody let me do something I loved. What a luxury, to do something you love to do.
Amy Tan

That's what I think life is like, too. I have the luxury to do exactly what it is we all need time to do, and that is just think about the mystery of life.
Amy Tan

The forbidden things were a great influence on my life. I was forbidden from reading A Catcher in the Rye.
Amy Tan

The hurdles and conflicts are really momentary. You get over them and you see what happens afterwards.
Amy Tan

There are a lot of people who think that's what's needed to be successful is always being right, always being careful, always picking the right path.
Amy Tan

They didn't know who I really was. They didn't know how much the smallest amount of recognition would have meant to me and how the smallest amount of criticism could undo me.
Amy Tan

They were daughters, also wanting their mother's approval, and didn't understand why their mother was so critical.
Amy Tan

This was a moment when I thought for sure my life was over. I think I understand kids who have made a few mistakes. They're relying on everybody else's opinion of who they are.
Amy Tan

To write the book, I had to put that aside. As with any book. I go through the anxiety, 'What will people think of me for writing something like this?'
Amy Tan

Ultimately, I have to write what I have to write about, including the question of life continuing beyond our ordinary senses.
Amy Tan

What you'll find ultimately is that this whole question of who you are is a very, very interesting question and having two cultures to add to the mix of it makes it even more interesting.
Amy Tan

When you read about the Civil War, a lot of people, like my husband, can say my great-great-grandfather fought in that war. We have the gun and all that kind of stuff.
Amy Tan

Who knows where inspiration comes from. Perhaps it arises from desperation. Perhaps it comes from the flukes of the universe, the kindness of the muses.
Amy Tan

With that sendoff into the world, I was determined to make it as a writer. I worked day and night trying to build my business, writing a business plan and thinking of how I could do this.
Amy Tan

Words to me were magic. You could say a word and it could conjure up all kinds of images or feelings or a chilly sensation or whatever. It was amazing to me that words had this power.
Amy Tan

Writing is an extreme privilege but it's also a gift. It's a gift to yourself and it's a gift of giving a story to someone.
Amy Tan

You can get sucked into the idea that, 'Gosh, this is impressive. Maybe I should do this. It will look good.' Or 'I'll write like this because it will impress that critic.'
Amy Tan

You write a book and you hope somebody will go out and pay $24.95 for what you've just said. I think books were my salvation. Books saved me from being miserable.
Amy Tan
A monopoly on the means of communication may define a ruling elite more precisely than the celebrated Marxian formula of monopoly in the means of production.
Robert Anton Wilson

A true initiation never ends.
Robert Anton Wilson

All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense.
Robert Anton Wilson

An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave.
Robert Anton Wilson

Animals outline their territories with their excretions, humans outline their territories by ink excretions on paper.
Robert Anton Wilson

Belief is the death of intelligence.
Robert Anton Wilson

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence.
Robert Anton Wilson

Beyond a certain point, the whole universe becomes a continuous process of initiation.
Robert Anton Wilson

Certitude belongs exclusively to those who only own one encyclopedia.
Robert Anton Wilson

Consciousness itself is an infinite regress. This explains coincidences.
Robert Anton Wilson

Cynics regard everybody as equally corrupt... idealists regard everybody equally corrupt, except themselves.
Robert Anton Wilson

Cynics regarded everybody as equally corrupt... Idealists regarded everybody as equally corrupt, except themselves.
Robert Anton Wilson

Ego is a social fiction for which one person at a time gets all the blame.
Robert Anton Wilson

Every war results from the struggle for markets and spheres of influence, and every war is sold to the public by professional liars and totally sincere religious maniacs, as a Holy Crusade to save God and Goodness from Satan and Evil.
Robert Anton Wilson

Everyone look around and see if you can spot the NARCS. They're the ones who look like hippies.
Robert Anton Wilson

Groups are grammatical fictions; only individuals exist, and each individual is different.
Robert Anton Wilson

History, sociology, economics, psychology et al. confirmed Joyce's view of Everyman as victim.
Robert Anton Wilson

Horror is the natural reaction to the last 5,000 years of history.
Robert Anton Wilson

Humans live through their myths and only endure their realities.
Robert Anton Wilson

I have never experienced another human being. I have experienced my impressions of them.
Robert Anton Wilson

I see anarchism as the theoretical ideal to which we are all gradually evolving to a point where everybody can tell the truth to everybody else and nobody can get punished for it. That can only happen without hierarchy and without people having the authority to punish other people.
Robert Anton Wilson

I think I got off on the wrong planet. Beam me up Scotty, there's no rational life here.
Robert Anton Wilson

It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing a single idea.
Robert Anton Wilson

Most of our ancestors were not perfect ladies and gentlemen. The majority of them weren't even mammals.
Robert Anton Wilson

Most people live in a myth and grow violently angry if anyone dares to tell them the truth about themselves.
Robert Anton Wilson

Nobody sees the obvious, nobody observes the ordinary. There are more miracles in a square yard of earth than in all the fables of the Church.
Robert Anton Wilson

Nothing of any importance can be taught. It can only be learned, and with blood and sweat.
Robert Anton Wilson

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
Robert Anton Wilson

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. I'm mad but not ill.
Robert Anton Wilson

On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.
Robert Anton Wilson

Once something becomes discernible, or understandable, we no longer need to repeat it. We can destroy it.
Robert Anton Wilson

Only the madman is absolutely sure.
Robert Anton Wilson

Philadelphia merely seems dull because it's next to exciting Camden, New Jersey.
Robert Anton Wilson

Pregnancy is a kind of miracle. Especially so in that it proves that a man and woman can conspire to force God to create a new soul.
Robert Anton Wilson

Size is not a reality, but a construct of the mind; and space a construct to contain constructs.
Robert Anton Wilson

The abandoned infant's cry is rage, not fear.
Robert Anton Wilson

The average is that which no person quite ever is.
Robert Anton Wilson

The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization.
Robert Anton Wilson

The border between the Real and the Unreal is not fixed, but just marks the last place where rival gangs of shamans fought each other to a standstill.
Robert Anton Wilson

The function of Theology? The recitation of the incomprehensible by the unspeakable to pick the pockets of the unthinking.
Robert Anton Wilson

The Grail is the womb of the beloved.
Robert Anton Wilson

The longer one is alone, the easier it is to hear the song of the earth.
Robert Anton Wilson

The path up is the path down. The way forward is the way back. The universe inside is outside but the universe outside is inside.
Robert Anton Wilson

The Right's view of government and the Left's view of big business are both correct.
Robert Anton Wilson

The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.
Robert Anton Wilson

The web of life is a beautiful and meaningless dance. The web of life is a process with a moving goal. The web of life is a perfectly finished work of art right where I am sitting now.
Robert Anton Wilson

There are gods, but there is no God; and all gods become devils eventually.
Robert Anton Wilson

There is no complete theory of anything.
Robert Anton Wilson

There is one universal sex law: Sex shall not be unregulated.
Robert Anton Wilson

We live in our fantasies and endure our realities.
Robert Anton Wilson

When the rose and the cross are united the alchemical marriage is complete and the drama ends. Then we wake from history and enter eternity.
Robert Anton Wilson

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson

You know, I have found a new way to get high and stay spaced out for hours on end, and the government can't stop me... It's called senility.
Robert Anton Wilson