View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #49
dean moriaty
lion of saloons

i haven't read everything by any of these authors [although with some of them i'm close]. i know you've already got your books but here are my recomendations incase you're interested. i'll stick to the authors i feel i can advise on properly. you should bear in mind that these are personal choices and recommendations; i'm not going to tell you what i think are the best books, more those that are a good start with the author. i've choosen those that are 1) relatively short 2) relatively easy going 3) pretty representative. that's not to say all of them are short or whatever, you get the idea...

j.d. salinger - catcher in the rye obviously although i guess you maybe had to read it at school. read it again for pleasure it's always a totally different experience when you do that

bret easton ellis - less than zero. his first book, not the best but easy going and short, it's also probably more applicable to your life than the others :D

margaret atwood - i've not read it myself but i'd go for the blind assassin

j.g. ballard - probably my favourite author. i'd go for high rise or cocaine nights as your first book. they're actually pretty similar stories. if you can get it easily go for cocaine nights first. i'd highly recommend not starting with anything pre-crash although i'd go for some of those later if you enjoy the later works. i like the crystal world a lot but i'd not suggest starting with it really.

at the moment i'm reading a spy in the house of love by anais nin, after that i've got three other books i brought to the states with me to pick from; one each by iain banks, j. g. ballard and ian mcewan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.