View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #68
Rarely
Shh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle
oh man, where do i begin? well how's this for a start-

they've covered hard rock, metal, glam, goth, 60's psychadelia, dreampop, synth, classical, jazz, new wave, electronica and dance, funk, folk, country, gospel, blues, and probably a few more, all in the space of 12 years, always proficiently, often brilliantly, usually even fused totally disparate genres in a way that hadn't been done before, sometimes written songs that sound like nothing else you've ever heard. each successive record was a total leap, both sonically and stylistically- they were never "just about the music", they were an entire autonomous evolving artistic statement in a way that no other band has been, because few artists take such a daring creative attitude, and hardly any have been as successful. can you think of even one album more out-of-this-world than mellon collie? one album like machina? one like adore? how can you honestly say the smashing pumpkins were just "a moderately successful 90s rock band"?? are you suggesting there is anyone even remotely like them, or more creative, or more prolific and consistent, or more varied, or more complex, or more interesting, or more personal, or even more fun? if i stretch my imagination, the only other artists that come close are beck and maybe frank zappa, even though they're still totally their own thing. but ask yourself the most important question of all- is there even ONE other band or singer, or anyone at all, that can strike you in your fucking heart like the pumpkins do? because THAT is what the bc and the pumpkins bring to music. just...love. they make you care. because they care. and maybe there is no one defining reason or explanation for it, but something is just right about that band that isn't right with any other, before or since. they are a fucking golden egg and everything a band could aspire to be. tell me that isn't priceless.

ps. if there is actually a band that mean more to you, let me know cause i'd be very interested to check them out.
the whole thing about a band 'striking your heart' is irrelevent. that has nothing to do with how good they are and everything to do with how much of a biased fanboy you are