View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 07:43 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post
This is cool.

I imagine a lot of people have traced back to Helena the Red, as according to the wikipedia article:

"It has been claimed that Helena had no fewer than ninety-eight direct descendants at the time of her death. "

I know of someone in my family who has been patching together the family tree, but I don't speak to their side of the family now (and nor would I want to).

One day I might be able to steal their work and do this. My Dad's side of the family is kinda shrouded in mystery for reasons I'm not sure of, and I only knew one living grandparent through my life.

I'm very much at ease with that, but still, it would just be cool to know this stuff, whether it leads to good or bad.

I've gotten back as far as 30 generations in one branch of my tree. When you get to your 28th great grandparent (which is in the year 900 for one of my branches), you statistically have 1,000,000,000 great grandparents. As you go farther back we all become related. And many of the branches in your tree start to overlap, because there aren't enough people in the world long ago for them to NOT overlap.

I've started finding overlaps in my own tree. But so far i've spent most of my time trying to see how far back I can go, and not filling out each ancestor's siblings and children. When you start looking at extended family in each generation everything really does start overlapping.