View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 11:58 PM   #4749
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Thank you! That's really helpful. With this in mind, I'm gonna relisten to some shows and see if I can make this out at all.
mellisa's tone had the mids and highs brought out a lot more. this is often done to make the bass cut through a mix more, since the higher and easier to hear frequencies are boosted. it will sound a bit harsher, or brighter, more detailed.

it also had a lot of attack, and not much sustain. eg. the initial sound of a note is quite loud and obvious but it decays / fades off fairly fast on held notes.

the old classic sp tone was the opposite of both of those things. dialed down mids and treble, all low end, warm, round, some might say muddy. it had lots of sustain and not much decay, so notes would be more 'present' the entire time they are being played / sounded.

i really like the classic sp bass tone, or at least those parts i described about it above, and i normally go for that sort of sound with my playing. i'd sometimes describe the sustain part of it sort of like an electric organ, where you press and hold a note and it just stays the same - producing an even and constant sound level for as long as you hold it. it gives this 'always present' but 'never in your face' type of vibe. which sits under the classic sp guitar sound really well too.