View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #73
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
He's not an idiot, he 100% knows what people don't like about his modern records. Every time he works on a new record he says or does all the right things to make fans think he "gets it" and it's going to be "good" this time. He's trolling.

Maybe with the MCIS sequel he's giving fans what they think they want but I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's 33 happy acoustic + synth songs about enjoying summer. And then he feigns surprise that fans don't enjoy this "natural progression" from the MCIS and Machina sounds.
Initially I assumed the doubling down was due to denial about his own viability as a multi-tasking solo pop artist, so he thought he would score a hit single, and prove the old fans wrong. Adopting the SP name again and re-recruiting the band was just a means of packaging his "solo artist" work because, again, he was in denial that his actual songs, production, vocals and creative choices were the issue.

But even scoring a hit at this point, he'd have to admit the last twenty years have been pish. I don't think he has an OG Pumpkins album in him, and I don't think he wants to produce MCIS pt 3. He's just saying whatever to try and get press attention for the new record. He'll put it out and it'll be the same style and quality as all zombie SP stuff, and he'll continue to blame those who prefer his older work for not getting it, take whatever profits he gets from touring. I no longer think it's about scoring a hit or even living up to the legacy of the band, it's about keeping the denial going for as long as it can pay out - and removing anyone from his circle who threatens the delusion.