View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

i heard doomsday clock on the transformers soundtrack in the summer of 2007. that was my first exposure.

about two years later i got guitar hero world tour for the wii. today became one of my favorites to play. a few years later, i got guitar hero 5 out of the library. bwbw became my favorite song to play, and i really started enjoying it. but i think it was around that time i got into nirvana and some other bands, so it was a while longer before i got into pumpkins.

flash-forward to 2012, i saw the smashing pumpkins had released a new album. i thought, "why don't i check it out?" listened once, didn't touch it again for about a month. but throughout august of that year, it was all i listened to. it started growing on me. i bought mellon collie in september and listened to all of it on a trip to lake erie. i liked it then, but it didn't have the same meaning for me then it does now. from there, i think i listened to siamese dream, then zeitgeist, then pisces, then adore, then gish, then machina. or something like that. weird order. in december i saw them on the oceania tour.

by february 2013, i owned every main release, along with aeroplane, still becoming apart, and more. don't know why i went and did that but i don't regret it. i'm happy with the collection and i have since added onto it.

in june 2013, i was all like "time to move onto another band, see ya later pumpkins". throughout the summer i listened to other shit, but in september i was drawn back. i was still a bit of a casual fan, even with all that i had purchased and with how much i claimed i loved the pumpkins.

from october to november 2013, i revisited aeroplane. december and january 2013/2014, gish. febuary, march, and april, siamese dream. may and june, pisces. i started playing guitar then. july to october, mellon collie. and most recently monuments. i'm diving back into aeroplane when i have time to, and then it's onto adore. and by then, i hope the machina reissue is out.

i'm really happy i came back around to the pumpkins. 2 years ago, i couldn't pinpoint what it was that drew me in and i oftentimes listened to music as background noise. coming back around allowed me to appreciate the albums a lot more than i previously had, and rediscover them in exciting new ways.

all this time's gone by and yet i still haven't listened to mashed potatoes, or watched a full concert online, or anything like that. so i gotta get on that stuff at some point. the amount of material out there i haven't gone anywhere near yet is mind-boggling. i guess i'm a stickler for the studio albums.