Thread: Deftones
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #317
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
That's pretty much what I'd say about both records.

The riffs tagged on to the end of songs is one of my favourite things they do. I love it how they just drive a song home by playing the same thing over and over again. But it doesn't work so well on Phantom Bride!

I really don't get all the love for Diamond Eyes. To me it doesn't have all the things that make, for me what is the magical triumvirate of Self Titled, SNW and KNY so special. It's comparatively simple album, melodically, musically and arrangement wise and I'm pretty sure it's not that much of a grower. I've given it four listens and it's not doing it for me.

I love White Pony, but it's like the hit parade - couldn't listen to it three times in a week; the depth just isn't there.

I've not listened to the first two in 15 years. I like them, but I just think the band changed so much with White Pony to the point that I wouldn't think of those as albums by the same band. Kind of like Gish for me. I love Gish, but it doesn't really have anything I'd say was synonymous with what made the Pumpkins so magical. No matter how dreadful some of the new sp is, there is still the odd, very rare glint of those things in their last five releases.
I have garbage opinions on a lot of things. But you take the cake. Go back to the hole you came from.