Thread: Deftones
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 01:28 AM   #313
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Honestly, the production on Gore is just part of what makes it a really average record.

Ohms made me revisit it, and while it's a bit better than I remember, it just fucking falls off hard halfway through and then spends like 3 songs ending.

Prayers/Triangles is great, better than I remember it. No complaints.
Acid Hologram is good, but that rewinding sample at the end is cheesy and unnecessary.
Doomed User's fucking great
Same with Geometric Headdress
Hearts, Wires - standout track on the album. Best one for my money.
Pittura Infamante - aaaaand fucking terrible
Xenon - Listenable but repetitive as all fuck. There's like half a song here.
(L)Mirl - Starts embarrassingly, gets better as it goes on.
Gore - back on track. Great lyrics. Feels like it was supposed to be a closer, but okay, let's keep going, why not
Phantom Bride - Beautiful and lyrics anyone who's spent time closed off to the world can relate to...but what the fuck is with the last near-minute? It's like they just came on a cool riff, didn't know what to do with it, and tacked it on to the end. Has no business being there.
Rubicon - Okay, sure, one more, I guess. Good song, but ultimately one too many

It is the Zeitgeist of the Deftones discography: Not as bad as people make it out to be and an apologist's wet dream. Not remotely in the same league as anything up to Diamond Eyes.

Ohms is good, but I'll give Gore one thing over it, it's much more adventrous. They'll be calling it a safe record in the future.