View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #300
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
The only measurable difference is too much freedom in production. But maybe the decline isn't due to a measurable factor. Forgive me for being science minded.
Yeah, I find it silly when people try to isolate some singular causal factor for Corgan sucking today.

"Perhaps the necessary and sufficient condition for Corgan to make good music is working with Chamberlin. But wait, Chamberlin was absent for Adore and present for Mary Star of the Sea and Shiny, so that hypothesis is refuted. Perhaps Iha is the key ingredient? But alas, Iha is back in the band, and the music still sucks. Clearly, it must be Wretzky!"

Like, sometimes people have it, and sometimes people lose it. I'm sure working with certain other people positively influences the output… so long as they give enough of a fuck to even make suggestions, and Corgan actually considers their opinions. If not, they'll just collect the cheque and avoid the headache of getting Corgan pissed at them, or Corgan'll just kick them out of the band, like he did Byrne (who probably at one point said, "I dunno, why don't we do something weirder and more interesting?")

There are probably a host of reasons Corgan doesn't make music like he used to, not a single overwhelming cause.