View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #262
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I also never have much been one for the genre but the thing i noticed about XCOM was that it was immediately really playable. Gameplay is fairly spartan, no needless over-complication, things like cover and movement systems are dead straightforward which keeps you engaged with what's unfolding in the action rather than doing numbers or poring over item select screens or whatever.

The real hook for me though is how it lets you get invested in the story yourself. I've always found video game storytelling largely clumsy and XCOM gets around this by mostly ditching traditional storytelling and just letting you get invested in the characters of your squad. You kit them out, teach them skills, level them up etc, remember some heroic shit they did one time, and then one day you roll out on a routine side mission and you don't see an alien off to one side of the screen and your character gets merked in one hit and that's it and they're gone forever, no ceremony, the game continues like a regular enemy grunt had died, and you're left with a way more gratifying emotional payoff than any in-game-asset cutscene can lay on you. Lots of games talk about "building your own story" but it often rings hollow; not so here.
Thank you, sounds kickass. I’ll have to put the unknown enema in my ps3 soon. Right now the ps3’s just sitting. Was bumping some farcry 3 on there from time to time, a little dragons crown. Now it’s all switch. When you can play AAA on your belly in bed with detached ‘cons, it’s just hard to ever make yourself go sit on a couch somewhere

Been playing Layers of Fear most recently. This game is excellent. Basically a highly immersive haunted house simulator. On headphones and in the dark, game provides psychelic dread, oppressive atmosphere, punctuated by jolts of pure terror. I would highly recommend to anyone who likes ghosts/adventures