Thread: 7 Feb 2000
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ISRAEL’S HEROES (20:3–8)
This short but interesting chapter introduces to the reader three short anecdotes demonstrating the fulfillment of God’s promise (17:10). Three Israelite heroes fight with three Philistine heroes. David’s soldiers, with the help of the Lord, of course, accomplished the victory.

1 CHR 20:3–8 NKJV
3 And he brought out the people who were in it, and put them to work with saws, with iron picks, and with axes. So David did to all the cities of the people of Ammon. Then David and all the people returned to Jerusalem.
4 Now it happened afterward that war broke out at Gezer with the Philistines, at which time Sibbechai the Hushathite killed Sippai, who was one of the sons of the giant. And they were subdued.
5 Again there was war with the Philistines, and Elhanan the son of Jair killed Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam.
6 Yet again there was war at Gath, where there was a man of great stature, with twenty–four fingers and toes, six on each hand and six on each foot; and he also was born to the giant.
7 So when he defied Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimea, David’s brother, killed him.
8 These were born to the giant in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants.

1 CHR 20:3–8 ESV
3 And he brought out the people who were in it and set them to labor with saws and iron picks and axes. And thus David did to all the cities of the Ammonites. Then David and all the people returned to Jerusalem.
4 And after this there arose war with the Philistines at Gezer. Then Sibbecai the Hushathite struck down Sippai, who was one of the descendants of the giants, and the Philistines were subdued.
5 And there was again war with the Philistines, and Elhanan the son of Jair struck down Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam.
6 And there was again war at Gath, where there was a man of great stature, who had six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot, twenty-four in number, and he also was descended from the giants.
7 And when he taunted Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimea, David’s brother, struck him down. 8 These were descended from the giants in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants.

20:4 There is a Hushathite in the list of the thirty brave men of David in 2 Samuel 23:27. This same person is named Sibbecai in 11:29. Sibbecai is also placed in charge of the army division for the eighth month (27:1). Rephaim is a term that may be related to the non-Israelite inhabitants of Canaan (Gen 14:5; Deut 2:10–11, 20–21; Josh 12:4). The Philistines were subdued, indicating the fulfillment of 17:10.
20:5 Elhanan the son of Jair killed Lahmi the brother of Goliath. This seems to be a contradiction to 2 Samuel 21:19, where it reads that Elhanan from Bethlehem killed “Goliath the Gittite.” Both readings, however, might be allusions to different events, or perhaps words were missing in Samuel and should be added. The NKJV adds “the brother of” in 2 Samuel, thus harmonizing both passages
20:6–8 Jonathan was a relative of David, and he also killed a giant. David and his forces were depicted together as obtaining victories for Israel, thus fulfilling the promise of victory (see 17:10).
God was with His people as He had been with David. Any person can be a hero with God. David was a champion of faith against a formidable enemy; just so, many others were also heroes after him.

THE CENSUS DAVID ORDERED (21:1–22:1)
This episode has its parallel in 2 Samuel 24. David decided, on his own, without consulting God or his counselors, to make a census of his nation. The reason was probably to know the number of all able-bodied men ready for war, “men who drew the sword” (21:5). The almost sickening desire to know the number of Israel might have been an indication of David’s lack of faith in God and his complete reliance on human strength. David sinned, a plague came, and many people died. In the midst of this chaos God chose the site for the temple as a sign of deliverance for His people.

1 CHR 21:1–22:1 NKJV
1 Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel.
2 So David said to Joab and to the leaders of the people, “Go, number Israel from Beersheba to Dan, and bring the number of them to me that I may know it.”
3 And Joab answered, “May the LORD make His people a hundred times more than they are. But, my lord the king, are they not all my lord’s servants? Why then does my lord require this thing? Why should he be a cause of guilt in Israel?”
4 Nevertheless the king’s word prevailed against Joab. Therefore Joab departed and went throughout all Israel and came to Jerusalem.
5 Then Joab gave the sum of the number of the people to David. All Israel had one million one hundred thousand men who drew the sword, and Judah had four hundred and seventy thousand men who drew the sword.
6 But he did not count Levi and Benjamin among them, for the king’s word was abominable to Joab.
7 And God was displeased with this thing; therefore He struck Israel.
8 So David said to God, “I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing; but now, I pray, take away the iniquity of Your servant, for I have done very foolishly.”
9 Then the LORD spoke to Gad, David’s seer, saying,
10 “Go and tell David, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD: “I offer you three things; choose one of them for yourself, that I may do it to you.” ’ ”
11 So Gad came to David and said to him, “Thus says the LORD: ‘Choose for yourself,
12 either three years of famine, or three months to be defeated by your foes with the sword of your enemies overtaking you, or else for three days the sword of the LORD—the plague in the land, with the angel of the LORD destroying throughout all the territory of Israel.’ Now consider what answer I should take back to Him who sent me.”
13 And David said to Gad, “I am in great distress. Please let me fall into the hand of the LORD, for His mercies are very great; but do not let me fall into the hand of man.”
14 So the LORD sent a plague upon Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell.
15 And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it. As he was destroying, the LORD looked and relented of the disaster, and said to the angel who was destroying, “It is enough; now restrain your hand.” And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.
16 Then David lifted his eyes and saw the angel of the LORD standing between earth and heaven, having in his hand a drawn sword stretched out over Jerusalem. So David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell on their faces.
17 And David said to God, “Was it not I who commanded the people to be numbered? I am the one who has sinned and done evil indeed; but these sheep, what have they done? Let Your hand, I pray, O LORD my God, be against me and my father’s house, but not against Your people that they should be plagued.”
18 Therefore, the angel of the LORD commanded Gad to say to David that David should go and erect an altar to the LORD on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.
19 So David went up at the word of Gad, which he had spoken in the name of the LORD.
20 Now Ornan turned and saw the angel; and his four sons who were with him hid themselves, but Ornan continued threshing wheat.
21 So David came to Ornan, and Ornan looked and saw David. And he went out from the threshing floor, and bowed before David with his face to the ground.
22 Then David said to Ornan, “Grant me the place of this threshing floor, that I may build an altar on it to the LORD. You shall grant it to me at the full price, that the plague may be withdrawn from the people.”
23 But Ornan said to David, “Take it to yourself, and let my lord the king do what is good in his eyes. Look, I also give you the oxen for burnt offerings, the threshing implements for wood, and the wheat for the grain offering; I give it all.”
24 Then King David said to Ornan, “No, but I will surely buy it for the full price, for I will not take what is yours for the LORD, nor offer burnt offerings with that which costs me nothing.”
25 So David gave Ornan six hundred shekels of gold by weight for the place.
26 And David built there an altar to the LORD, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called on the LORD; and He answered him from heaven by fire on the altar of burnt offering.
27 So the LORD commanded the angel, and he returned his sword to its sheath.
28 At that time, when David saw that the LORD had answered him on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite, he sacrificed there.
29 For the tabernacle of the LORD and the altar of the burnt offering, which Moses had made in the wilderness, were at that time at the high place in Gibeon.
30 But David could not go before it to inquire of God, for he was afraid of the sword of the angel of the LORD.
22:1 Then David said, “This is the house of the LORD God, and this is the altar of burnt offering for Israel.”

1 CHR 21:1–22:1 ESV
1 Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel.
2 So David said to Joab and the commanders of the army, “Go, number Israel, from Beersheba to Dan, and bring me a report, that I may know their number.”
3 But Joab said, “May the LORD add to his people a hundred times as many as they are! Are they not, my lord the king, all of them my lord’s servants? Why then should my lord require this? Why should it be a cause of guilt for Israel?”
4 But the king’s word prevailed against Joab. So Joab departed and went throughout all Israel and came back to Jerusalem.
5 And Joab gave the sum of the numbering of the people to David. In all Israel there were 1,100,000 men who drew the sword, and in Judah 470,000 who drew the sword.
6 But he did not ******* Levi and Benjamin in the numbering, for the king’s command was abhorrent to Joab.
7 But God was displeased with this thing, and he struck Israel.
8 And David said to God, “I have sinned greatly in that I have done this thing. But now, please take away the iniquity of your servant, for I have acted very foolishly.”
9 And the LORD spoke to Gad, David’s seer, saying,
10 “Go and say to David, ‘Thus says the LORD, Three things I offer you; choose one of them, that I may do it to you.’ ”
11 So Gad came to David and said to him, “Thus says the LORD, ‘Choose what you will: 12 either three years of famine, or three months of devastation by your foes while the sword of your enemies overtakes you, or else three days of the sword of the LORD, pestilence on the land, with the angel of the LORD destroying throughout all the territory of Israel.’ Now decide what answer I shall return to him who sent me.”
13 Then David said to Gad, “I am in great distress. Let me fall into the hand of the LORD, for his mercy is very great, but do not let me fall into the hand of man.”
14 So the LORD sent a pestilence on Israel, and 70,000 men of Israel fell.
15 And God sent the angel to Jerusalem to destroy it, but as he was about to destroy it, the LORD saw, and he relented from the calamity. And he said to the angel who was working destruction, “It is enough; now stay your hand.” And the angel of the LORD was standing by the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.
16 And David lifted his eyes and saw the angel of the LORD standing between earth and heaven, and in his hand a drawn sword stretched out over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell upon their faces.
17 And David said to God, “Was it not I who gave command to number the people? It is I who have sinned and done great evil. But these sheep, what have they done? Please let your hand, O LORD my God, be against me and against my father’s house. But do not let the plague be on your people.”
18 Now the angel of the LORD had commanded Gad to say to David that David should go up and raise an altar to the LORD on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.
19 So David went up at Gad’s word, which he had spoken in the name of the LORD.
20 Now Ornan was threshing wheat. He turned and saw the angel, and his four sons who were with him hid themselves.
21 As David came to Ornan, Ornan looked and saw David and went out from the threshing floor and paid homage to David with his face to the ground.
22 And David said to Ornan, “Give me the site of the threshing floor that I may build on it an altar to the LORD—give it to me at its full price—that the plague may be averted from the people.”
23 Then Ornan said to David, “Take it, and let my lord the king do what seems good to him. See, I give the oxen for burnt offerings and the threshing sledges for the wood and the wheat for a grain offering; I give it all.”
24 But King David said to Ornan, “No, but I will buy them for the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, nor offer burnt offerings that cost me nothing.”
25 So David paid Ornan 600 shekels of gold by weight for the site.
26 And David built there an altar to the LORD and presented burnt offerings and peace offerings and called on the LORD, and the LORD answered him with fire from heaven upon the altar of burnt offering.
27 Then the LORD commanded the angel, and he put his sword back into its sheath.
28 At that time, when David saw that the LORD had answered him at the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite, he sacrificed there.
29 For the tabernacle of the LORD, which Moses had made in the wilderness, and the altar of burnt offering were at that time in the high place at Gibeon,
30 but David could not go before it to inquire of God, for he was afraid of the sword of the angel of the LORD.
22:2 Then David said, “Here shall be the house of the LORD God and here the altar of burnt offering for Israel.”

21:1 Notice that Chronicles has an explanation for and not a contradiction with the census described in 2 Samuel 24:1. In Samuel God seems to be the perpetrator, while in Chronicles it is Satan who tempted David to count the men. Observe that Satan is represented as an accuser in Job 1–2 and in Zechariah 3:1–2. In Chronicles, however, he is a tempter. In Chronicles the term “Satan” is found without an article, indicating that it refers to a personal name and not just an unidentified “accuser.” Thus, for the Chronicler there is no doubt that God allowed Satan to tempt David, for David had decided to act independently from God’s will. Here David seems to be lacking faith in God and is relying on human power and numbers. David fails for not consulting God before making a decision. The counting of the people had also been done in Exodus 30:11–16 and Numbers 1 but under God’s advice.
21:2–3 Joab was the commander of David’s army (2:16; 11:6–39; 18:15; 19:8–15; 20:1–2). Joab had to count from Beersheba to Dan. It seems that these were the borders of the land in the days of David (see also 2 Chr 30:5). Joab was not willing to do the task because it seemed to demonstrate a lack of faith in God. The order was more an act of self-confidence than a military strategy. In Genesis 15:5; 22:17, God promised to make Israel more numerous than the stars of heaven. According to Joab, are they not all my lord’s servants? Why then does my lord require this thing? (21:3) For the people were completely on the side of David. David had obtained quite a few victories in chapters 18–20. Now he should have trusted in God that He would deliver him out of the oppression of any king. The problem here seems to be in the purpose and motives for the census rather than in the census itself.
21:5 Joab gave the sum of the number. The term “census/counting” (mepaqed) is in connection with Exodus 30:11–16, where one can find the word paqad “he counted” or “he took a census.” In 2 Samuel 24:9, the number is 800,000 armed men in Israel and 500,000 in Judah (a total of 1,300,000), while in 1 Chronicles 21:5 the number is 1,100,000 in “all Israel” and 470,000 in Judah (a total of 1,570,000).
The differences can be explained based on a comparison of both accounts. First, Joab took several months to finish the census, and he was not able to complete it because of the plague (27:24). Second, Joab did not number the tribes of Levi and Benjamin (21:6). Third, the number in Chronicles with 1,100,000 men of war for “all Israel” is much larger than the one in Samuel with 800,000. Samuel probably did not count the 288,000 men in the special force of David (27:1–15).
In the narrative of Samuel, the term “all” before “Israel” does not appear; therefore, this means that the numbers reflect a partial amount of the total presented in Chronicles. If we add 288,000 to the number 1,300,000 of Samuel, we have 1,588,000, which is a number very close to the one in Chronicles, 1,570,000. The difference can be explained based on the text that says that Joab did not finish his task because of the plague. Therefore, he did not reach the total number of 1,588,000.
21:6 Numbers 1:49; 2:33 state that Levi was excused from any military census. Regarding the tribe of Benjamin, they seem to have been left off the list because Joab did not have time enough to count them (27:24) or because the sanctuary was located in Gibeon, which was in the territory allotted to Benjamin (16:39; 2 Chr 1:3; see Josh 18:25).
21:7 God was displeased with the attitude of David, and thus Israel was struck. An entire community may receive the consequence of an irresponsible decision of its leader. This does not mean that God punished Israel for the sin of David. It implies that David as the king and head of his people set the example to be followed. The census took many days (in 2 Sam 24:8, it took two hundred days) and none except Joab complained about this matter. Thus, the consequence fell upon all.
21:8 David repented of his “sin” (chatta’), and he asked God to take away his “iniquity” (‘aon). These two terms indicate that David was in need of expiation and forgiveness.
21:9–12 I offer you three things. God gives the judgment with three options to be chosen from—famine, fleeing from enemies, and pestilence. It indicates that God forgives, but sometimes retribution is necessary to correct the evil done. God took the opportunity to educate the entire nation. Only God can pass judgment; He is the only one who can read the mind, motives, and intentions of the heart. Therefore, He is the only one who can judge. The main point is that leadership is a role model for good or for bad for the entire community.
21:13 David chose to fall into the hand of the LORD. David trusted that the same God who judges is the one who can deliver and save from any difficult situation. He is the God of mercy and is abounding in love (Joel 2:13).
21:14–15 After killing seventy thousand in Israel, the angel was about to destroy those living in Jerusalem. God then gave the order for the angel to stop, and he stopped by the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite. The passage of 2 Samuel 24:16 reads “Araunah,” whereas 1 Chronicles 21:15 reads Ornan. The reading of Chronicles is similar to the one found in the LXX (Orna). These are just two forms of the same name. One was probably preexilic, and the other postexilic. Remember that in the Hebrew writing system of that time, only the consonants were used. Vowels were not yet employed. Thus, a name could suffer some alteration in vocalization through history. The Jebusites were inhabitants of Canaan since ancient times (Josh 15:63; 18:16; Judg 1:21; 2 Sam 5:6).
21:16–17 David and the elders demonstrated their reverence and penance, according to the tradition of the time, with sackcloth and with falling on their faces. A similar attitude is seen in Numbers 16:22; Joshua 7:6, 10; 1 Kings 21:27; Ezra 10:1; Jonah 3:5. But these sheep, what have they done? As a good leader, David takes full responsibility for his actions and tries to absolve his people, whom he thought were innocent.
21:18 Gad spoke under divine authority. This gives the necessary support for the election of the site for the altar and, consequently, for the future temple.
21:19–21 The four sons of Ornan were hiding because they saw the angel with the sword. The presence of Ornan, a Jebusite, living at that place indicates that not all Canaanites perished. Many were incorporated into Israel. God is the God of mercy, and in Israel’s mission, all nations were to be blessed, including the Canaanites.
21:22–25 David paid six hundred shekels of gold for the entire site, including the threshing floor, the oxen, and the field, while in 2 Samuel 24:24 the price was fifty shekels of silver for only the threshing floor and the oxen, without the field. This event is similar to the transaction of Abraham with the Hittite when he bought the cave of Machpelah. Abraham bought the cave and the field altogether. Here, David obtained both the threshing floor and the field, with a few extra implements, but the price was probably divided into both properties. Notice that Ephron said to Abraham “I give you the field and the cave that is in it” (Gen 23:11).
David would not give God something that was not his. This is why he pays—in order to show that he was the actual owner and not Ornan. David did not want to just pretend to be a good king; he wanted to be transparent with both God and man. The gold he used to buy the threshing floor belonged to the nation; consequently, this transaction included the entire nation as the buyer of that property to be given as an offering to God.
21:26–27 David offered up burnt offerings and peace offerings, as he had done when he brought the ark to the tent in Jerusalem in 16:1. God answered him from heaven by fire as a token of approval and acceptance (see also Lev 9:24; Judg 6:21; 1 Kgs 18:24, 37–38; 2 Chr 7:1). These two instances of fire coming from heaven in 1–2 Chronicles are absent in the books of 1–2 Kings. This brought the plague to an end.
21:28–22:1 He was afraid of the sword of the angel of the LORD. During this episode, David was afraid to worship God in Gibeon and continued to offer sacrifices on the threshing floor of Ornan. Solomon went to Gibeon at least once (2 Chr 1:1–6), and there he offered sacrifices. God chose the threshing floor of Ornan as the site for His temple/house (2 Chr 7:16), using David as His instrument. Thus, David designated that threshing floor as the future site for the temple (see 22:1).
God is the one who chose the place for His dwelling, the place of His altar. But to accomplish this, He used His people and His chosen leader, David. In Chronicles God chose David as king, chose Jerusalem as His city, chose the site for the temple and the altar, and chose Solomon as the builder of the temple. Even though God chooses people to serve Him, each one is responsible for his or her actions, and the consequences of one person’s decisions can be positive or disastrous for the entire community of faith.
The emphasis is on the corporative responsibility in any decision. A leader must consult God and his advisors before taking any step in church administration. The second lesson is that any financial resources of the church should be carefully used for the uplifting of the kingdom of God. Finally, any religious leader should be humble to accept God’s choosing and guidance without complaints.
Two narratives compose this section (10:1–22:1). The first is about David’s enthroning, his conquest of Jerusalem, and his enemies, as well as about the city where the temple would be built (chs. 11–20). The second narrative is about David’s census and the event in which he buys the threshing floor of Ornan—the actual location for the temple (ch. 21). This indicates that God can work with human beings despite their mistakes and errors. If they are willing, God can transform any situation to fit His plans and bring about the expected blessing.

3. DAVID’S PREPARATION FOR THE BUILDING PROJECT
1 CHRONICLES 22:2–29:30

In this section the Chronicler conveys his purpose by means of two or more speeches David made—to Israel as a whole and to Solomon in particular. Here one finds the reasons why David did not build the temple and the choosing of Solomon as king and future builder of God’s house. Instructions are presented so that Solomon might start to execute the plans for a grand project that was never attempted before. The legitimacy of the new authorities David established is found in this text. Nobody can argue about it; David himself had chosen them. In the center, as expected by now, the descendants of Aaron are introduced as the most important group of people to serve before the Lord in the rituals of the temple.

DAVID’S PREPARATION FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE TEMPLE (22:2–19)
David collected the materials for the temple since he was not allowed to build it; he spoke to Solomon to encourage him and to exhort the leaders to support his son in this building project.

1 CHR 22:2–19 NKJV
2 So David commanded to gather the aliens who were in the land of Israel; and he appointed masons to cut hewn stones to build the house of God.
3 And David prepared iron in abundance for the nails of the doors of the gates and for the joints, and bronze in abundance beyond measure,
4 and cedar trees in abundance; for the Sidonians and those from Tyre brought much cedar wood to David.
5 Now David said, “Solomon my son is young and inexperienced, and the house to be built for the LORD must be exceedingly magnificent, famous and glorious throughout all countries. I will now make preparation for it.” So David made abundant preparations before his death.
6 Then he called for his son Solomon, and charged him to build a house for the LORD God of Israel.
7 And David said to Solomon: “My son, as for me, it was in my mind to build a house to the name of the LORD my God;
8 but the word of the LORD came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and have made great wars; you shall not build a house for My name, because you have shed much blood on the earth in My sight.
9 Behold, a son shall be born to you, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies all around. His name shall be Solomon, for I will give peace and quietness to Israel in his days.
10 He shall build a house for My name, and he shall be My son, and I will be his Father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.’
11 Now, my son, may the LORD be with you; and may you prosper, and build the house of the LORD your God, as He has said to you.
12 Only may the LORD give you wisdom and understanding, and give you charge concerning Israel, that you may keep the law of the LORD your God.
13 Then you will prosper, if you take care to fulfill the statutes and judgments with which the LORD charged Moses concerning Israel. Be strong and of good courage; do not fear nor be dismayed.
14 Indeed I have taken much trouble to prepare for the house of the LORD one hundred thousand talents of gold and one million talents of silver, and bronze and iron beyond measure, for it is so abundant. I have prepared timber and stone also, and you may add to them.
15 Moreover there are workmen with you in abundance: woodsmen and stonecutters, and all types of skillful men for every kind of work.
16 Of gold and silver and bronze and iron there is no limit. Arise and begin working, and the LORD be with you.”
17 David also commanded all the leaders of Israel to help Solomon his son, saying,
18 “Is not the LORD your God with you? And has He not given you rest on every side? For He has given the inhabitants of the land into my hand, and the land is subdued before the LORD and before His people.
19 Now set your heart and your soul to seek the LORD your God. Therefore arise and build the sanctuary of the LORD God, to bring the ark of the covenant of the LORD and the holy articles of God into the house that is to be built for the name of the LORD.”

1 CHR 22:2–19 ESV
2 David commanded to gather together the resident aliens who were in the land of Israel, and he set stonecutters to prepare dressed stones for building the house of God.
3 David also provided great quantities of iron for nails for the doors of the gates and for clamps, as well as bronze in quantities beyond weighing,
4 and cedar timbers without number, for the Sidonians and Tyrians brought great quantities of cedar to David.
5 For David said, “Solomon my son is young and inexperienced, and the house that is to be built for the LORD must be exceedingly magnificent, of fame and glory throughout all lands. I will therefore make preparation for it.” So David provided materials in great quantity before his death.
6 Then he called for Solomon his son and charged him to build a house for the LORD, the God of Israel.
7 David said to Solomon, “My son, I had it in my heart to build a house to the name of the LORD my God.
8 But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth.
9 Behold, a son shall be born to you who shall be a man of rest. I will give him rest from all his surrounding enemies. For his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days.
10 He shall build a house for my name. He shall be my son, and I will be his father, and I will establish his royal throne in Israel forever.’
11 “Now, my son, the LORD be with you, so that you may succeed in building the house of the LORD your God, as he has spoken concerning you.
12 Only, may the LORD grant you discretion and understanding, that when he gives you charge over Israel you may keep the law of the LORD your God.
13 Then you will prosper if you are careful to observe the statutes and the rules that the LORD commanded Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Fear not; do not be dismayed.
14 With great pains I have provided for the house of the LORD 100,000 talents of gold, a million talents of silver, and bronze and iron beyond weighing, for there is so much of it; timber and stone, too, I have provided. To these you must add.
15 You have an abundance of workmen: stonecutters, masons, carpenters, and all kinds of craftsmen without number, skilled in working
16 gold, silver, bronze, and iron. Arise and work! The LORD be with you!”
17 David also commanded all the leaders of Israel to help Solomon his son, saying,
18 “Is not the LORD your God with you? And has he not given you peace on every side? For he has delivered the inhabitants of the land into my hand, and the land is subdued before the LORD and his people.
19 Now set your mind and heart to seek the LORD your God. Arise and build the sanctuary of the LORD God, so that the ark of the covenant of the LORD and the holy vessels of God may be brought into a house built for the name of the LORD.”

22:2–5 Solomon also took a census of the aliens who were residing in Israel for the building project (2 Chr 2:17). It seems that Solomon did not enslave the Israelites but conscripted the Canaanites living in Israel. Some Israelites were summoned for a temporary service or as workers receiving their pay. In Deuteronomy 1:16; 24:17; 27:19 states that the Israelites should treat well the aliens well, and they should be kind to them.
The term masons indicates that there was a large quarrying activity at this time. The term nails indicates that the Israelites had broken the iron monopoly of the Philistines (1 Sam 13:19–22). In addition to the iron nails, Solomon used gold nails in the Most Holy Place (2 Chr 3:9).
Bronze was used to make the molten sea, the two pillars in front of the temple, and the several utensils (18:8). The king of Hamath, Tou, sent bronze as a gift for the temple (18:10). Wood was collected in abundance from Tyre (14:1). Solomon requested more wood later on (2 Chr 2:8–9). David prepared the material because he thought in his heart that his son Solomon was inexperienced or too young (na’ar). This house/temple was to be magnificent/great (lehagdil) to be known among all nations. Even in his last years of life, David was preoccupied with the future of his community of faith, thus preparing everything in his power for the future of God’s people.
22:6–16 The relationship between David and Solomon is paralleled with that of Moses and Joshua. The Chronicler seems to follow a similar account of the installation of Joshua after Moses: (a) “be strong and of good courage,” Joshua 1:9 // 1 Chronicles 22:13; 28:10, 20; (b) the description of the commission in Joshua 1:6 // 1 Chronicles 22:1–10; 28:10, 20; (c) the presence of God with them, Joshua 1:9//1 Chronicles 22:11, 18.
Joshua accomplished the mission that Moses left unfinished as Solomon was supposed to accomplish the mission left to him after the death of his father. David had it in his heart to build the temple. In 22:8 the word of God comes to David; the construction of the temple was God’s idea revealed to David through the prophet Nathan. David was the new Moses preparing for the temple as Moses prepared for the sanctuary in the desert. Solomon was going to be a man of rest (22:9), fulfilling Deuteronomy 12:9–11, where Israel is called to bring sacrifices to God once they had rest in the land. Rest was a sign of the divine promise of conquest of the land (Josh 1:13, 15; 21:44; 22:4). This promise made to Solomon was conditional (28:7, 9).
Then you will prosper (22:13) means that the logical consequence of obedience is prosperity. This can be material, spiritual, or intellectual. The amount of gold was 6,730,000 pounds, or 3,365 metric tons. The amount of silver was 67,300,000 pounds, or 33,000 metric tons. This might sound an exaggeration in our time. But remember that David conquered many nations, and there was no single geopolitical power at that time in that area. Assyria had not yet come into the international arena. Therefore, David had for years collected these precious metals from the booty he obtained from his conquests and from the tribute he received from his vassals. The lesson is that it is never too much to give to God in an attitude of gratitude and praise.
22:17–19 David also commanded … to help Solomon his son. David prepares the leaders to support his successor. Thus, each leader should prepare his coworkers to welcome a newly elected leader to accomplish the mission God wants him or her to accomplish. Here, we see no place for politics, envy, or partiality. All were to be united in one mind and pursuing one goal, with the purpose of bringing the ark of the covenant to its permanent place. Notice that David had already brought the ark to Jerusalem (chs. 13–16). Now, together with the whole company of God, they would finish the mission David had started.
The transition from David to Solomon in 1 Chronicles is peaceful, without any contender to the throne. Such was not the case in 2 Samuel 9–20 and in 1 Kings 1–2. The Chronicler omitted those troublesome events with the purpose of making clear that God is the one who chooses His leaders. Consequently, politics and envy should not exist in any administrative transition. God would take care of the election of the new king when the time arrived.

THE LEVITES’ DUTIES FOR THE FUTURE TEMPLE (23:1–31)
In this section David installs Solomon as king and appoints the duties of the Levites as officers, judges, gatekeepers, and musicians. These duties seem a reflection of the tasks they were performing in the Chronicler’s time since they had no need to carry the ark anymore, which was going to be at rest in the new temple (23:26; 28:2). The Levites could trace their families to their ancestors Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.

23:1–5. GENERAL INFORMATION
1 CHR 23:1–5 NKJV
1 So when David was old and full of days, he made his son Solomon king over Israel.
2 And he gathered together all the leaders of Israel, with the priests and the Levites.
3 Now the Levites were numbered from the age of thirty years and above; and the number of individual males was thirty-eight thousand.
4 Of these, twenty-four thousand were to look after the work of the house of the LORD, six thousand were officers and judges,
5 four thousand were gatekeepers, and four thousand praised the LORD with musical instruments, “which I made,” said David, “for giving praise.”

1 CHR 23:1–5 ESV
1 When David was old and full of days, he made Solomon his son king over Israel.
2 David assembled all the leaders of Israel and the priests and the Levites.
3 The Levites, thirty years old and upward, were numbered, and the total was 38,000 men. 4 “Twenty-four thousand of these,” David said, “shall have charge of the work in the house of the LORD, 6,000 shall be officers and judges,
5 4,000 gatekeepers, and 4,000 shall offer praises to the LORD with the instruments that I have made for praise.”

23:1 Verse 1 anticipates the whole narrative up to chapter 29:22, where David dies. At the same time that David installed Solomon as his successor, he made preparations for the temple services and for the material to be used for its construction.
23:2–5 David gathered the leaders, priests, and the Levites in order to number them for service. In Numbers 3:14–39; 4:1–49, the Levites were counted with the goal of assigning them their duties and services in the sanctuary. The Levites were never to be counted for military service in the event of a war—that was forbidden (Num 1:49–50).
The Levites from the age of thirty years and above (23:3) were to be counted on this occasion, as they were in Numbers 4:35–36, 39–40, 43–44, 47–48; the age for general services in 1 Chronicles was 20, however (see 23:24). A large number of Levites was assigned to work in the house of the Lord—38,000. This seems too large a number when compared with lesser numbers recorded elsewhere; for example, 8,580 in Numbers 4:36, 40, 44, 48, and 22,000 for the Levites a month old or more (Num 3:39). Also, those who came to David at Hebron were 4,600 Levites and 3,700 priests (12:26–27). The large number may indicate a complete counting, while the other smaller numbers could represent only a section according to their age and function. They functioned as officers, judges, gatekeepers, and musicians with the instruments David had made (23:5). The musicians and musical instruments are one of the innovations of David, which, under God’s inspiration (16:42; 2 Chr 7:6; 29:25–27; Neh 12:36; Amos 6:5), were brought into the temple services (2 Chr 7:6; 29:26–27; Neh 12:36).

23:6–11. THE LEVITES’ GENEALOGY
1 CHR 23:6–11 NKJV
6 Also David separated them into divisions among the sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
7 Of the Gershonites: Laadan and Shimei.
8 The sons of Laadan: the first Jehiel, then Zetham and Joel—three in all.
9 The sons of Shimei: Shelomith, Haziel, and Haran—three in all. These were the heads of the fathers’ houses of Laadan.
10 And the sons of Shimei: Jahath, Zina, Jeush, and Beriah. These were the four sons of Shimei. 11 Jahath was the first and Zizah the second. But Jeush and Beriah did not have many sons; therefore, they were assigned as one father’s house.

1 CHR 23:6–11 ESV
6 And David organized them in divisions corresponding to the sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
7 The sons of Gershon were Ladan and Shimei.
8 The sons of Ladan: Jehiel the chief, and Zetham, and Joel, three.
9 The sons of Shimei: Shelomoth, Haziel, and Haran, three. These were the heads of the fathers’ houses of Ladan.
10 And the sons of Shimei: Jahath, Zina, and Jeush and Beriah. These four were the sons of Shimei.
11 Jahath was the chief, and Zizah the second; but Jeush and Beriah did not have many sons, therefore they became counted as a single father’s house.

23:7 The first born son of Gershon was Libni and not Laadan, according to Exodus 6:17; Numbers 3:18, 21; 26:58. Laadan may have been the son of Libni, taking his place as the patriarch of his family. Gershon was his grandfather. Therefore, Libni came out of this genealogy, and Laadan was in his place in Chronicles.
(Fig. 31) 23:6–11 Genealogy of the Levites

23:12–20. THE SONS OF KOHATH
1 CHR 23:12–20 NKJV
12 The sons of Kohath: Amram, Izhar, Hebron, and Uzziel—four in all.
13 The sons of Amram: Aaron and Moses; and Aaron was set apart, he and his sons forever, that he should sanctify the most holy things, to burn incense before the LORD, to minister to Him, and to give the blessing in His name forever.
14 Now the sons of Moses the man of God were reckoned to the tribe of Levi.
15 The sons of Moses were Gershon and Eliezer.
16 Of the sons of Gershon, Shebuel was the first.
17 Of the descendants of Eliezer, Rehabiah was the first. And Eliezer had no other sons, but the sons of Rehabiah were very many.
18 Of the sons of Izhar, Shelomith was the first.
19 Of the sons of Hebron, Jeriah was the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, and Jekameam the fourth.
20 Of the sons of Uzziel, Michah was the first and Jesshiah the second.

1 CHR 23:12–20 ESV
12 The sons of Kohath: Amram, Izhar, Hebron, and Uzziel, four.
13 The sons of Amram: Aaron and Moses. Aaron was set apart to dedicate the most holy things, that he and his sons forever should make offerings before the LORD and minister to him and pronounce blessings in his name forever.
14 But the sons of Moses the man of God were named among the tribe of Levi.
15 The sons of Moses: Gershom and Eliezer.
16 The sons of Gershom: Shebuel the chief.
17 The sons of Eliezer: Rehabiah the chief. Eliezer had no other sons, but the sons of Rehabiah were very many.
18 The sons of Izhar: Shelomith the chief.
19 The sons of Hebron: Jeriah the chief, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, and Jekameam the fourth.
20 The sons of Uzziel: Micah the chief and Isshiah the second.

23:12–20 The sons of Kohath. The priestly function is presented here in a unique way. In 23:13 the priests were set apart for the most holy things (qodesh qodashim). These holy things are the altar (Exod 29:37), the altar of incense (Exod 30:10), the tabernacle and all its furniture (Exod 30:29), the incense (Exod 30:36), the showbread (Lev 24:9), any of the offerings (Lev 2:3, 10), and the sanctuary itself (Ezek 45:3).
Gershon and Eliezer, in 23:15, are the sons of Moses by his wife Zipporah (see Exod 18:3–4). Notice that in Judges 18:30, Jonathan and his sons had Gershon as their ancestor, and they served as priests for the Danites until the captivity of the northern tribes ca. 722 BC. The name Rehabiah in 23:17 comes from the root “to grow, multiply, increase in number.” He was the son of Eliezer, son of Moses (26:25).
(Fig 32) 23:12–20 Genealogy of Kohath