View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
sunkissed
Oblivious Virgin

Location: I used to think Dean Moriarty was cool. Now I don't know what to think.

I've been thinking about this lately, I've always sought after some kinda uplifting feeling from Rock and Roll, you know? I'm sure everyone has their own but there's something about that crashing guitar chord or piano chord or whatever that just makes me feel like everything is alright for that one moment, that's what I'd call 'fun', say something like 'Baba O'Reiley" by The Who, there's this moment where the piano chords kick in, and the drums. Man that is great.

As for the pumpkins, it's always been about the emotional spectrum, what I've always admired about them is that kind of endearing openness with the songs, whether they are unashamedly cheesy, or earnest or whatever, I've always appreciated the fact that they didn't hide the rawness of an immediate emotion and try to intellectualise it. At least, that goes for the siamese dream through to TAFH period.
Then you have Adore and Machina which shift in a different direction, I think that after TAFH it seemed like there was a desire to write more 'mature' works, not to say that the band hadn't matured personally and that not having an affect, but I think there was a conscious shift with things like the lyrics etc following the criticisms of the lyrics for MCIS for example. make alot of sense in this light, Adore being an album about grief and loss etc, and then Machina arguably represents some kind of 'spiritual' longing or what have you that Billy went through, trying to find meaning in that kind of thinking.

There are some 'fun' songs on Pisces, but like others I don't think of the band as fun, but as to it's importance....I think that we generally like music which is uplifting, as long as it isn't trying to push a bible down our throats or tell us that everything is fine, feeling fine is another thing altogether.

Last edited by sunkissed : 11-25-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: to add