View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #111
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
no, there's definitely something deeper, it's just so normalized for them that they portray it as perfectly simple. otherwise you'd have Ted Bundys popping up & acting out all the time
I mean, they are definitely rare, and psychopaths make up such a small portion of the population that most deviant behaviour can't be explained by it. Most people who deviate from society's norms and commit crimes, even violent ones, are not psychopaths, and are much more similar to the average person than to the psychopath. I'd say that for these people, their motivations and behaviours are as complex as any other person's, and it's usually a unique set of circumstances that conditioned their deviant behaviour.

But when it comes to actual psychopaths, I'm no expert on them, but I feel like they are simpler than the average person, rather than more complex, and there isn't much deeper driving their behaviour than the fact that they are just dicks.

It would be interesting to look at different types of psychopaths, though. I mean, not every psychopath is going to become something like a serial killer. Most won't. Most will have similar goals to everybody else's, but simply have no compunctions about harming other people in the pursuit of their goals. Normal people weigh possible effects on other people in the cost-benefit analysis of our actions to some extent. But even the psychopath who doesn't care if he hurts other people probably won't go out of his way to hurt other people if it suits no obvious purpose. I guess the sorts of psychopaths who do go out of their way to harm others and derive pleasure from it (for example, serial killers) share other psychopath's lack of empathy, but also have a sadism that other psychopaths don't. Maybe that explains why one guy might microwave cats for fun, and another person won't do anything weird like that, but would gladly shoot somebody if he got $400 bucks for it?