View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #89
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I didn't end up going to class (was really awkward when I passed by a classmate in the hallway during the class break, though), but I went to my doctor's appointment and she gave me some tips about trying to normalize my sleep schedule and eat better and get some exercise and stuff like that. Also said that, though it was too early to do any official diagnosis, I do sound like I meet the criteria for depression and stuff, and that she could write me a deferral letter if I need it.

She also implored me to email the prof, which I'm trying to work up the courage to do right now. I'm kind of nervous about asking for any sort of deferral, because a responsible student would had done that before the due date. It just seems like it'd be me making excuses. Like, I feel like a lot of people are probably dealing with way more shit than I am, but still manage to get their work done. I feel like I'd be being a fraud if I tried to weasel my way out of a failing mark.
First of all, anyone having the kind of difficulty you're having deserves completely to have a deferral letter, are not a fraud for asking for one, and indeed exemplify the reason that those programs exist. It's not weaseling anything - you have a problem that has nothing to do with your ability to perform schoolwork per se, it is a mental illness affecting your functioning in general. You're not making any excuses.

Secondly, it would be such a shame if you ruined your GPA and future prospects because of this. You're the type of person who needs a degree and needs to be improving the world. Where does it go from here if you don't get help? You have a chance to pounce on this shit now. I know it's hard but it gets easier once you have a diagnosis and treatment plan established. It's not just going to go away if you wait long enough. You have an acutely disabling and/or chronic illness that needs treatment, just like if you had a heart problem or autoimmune disease.

I'm glad you saw the doc