View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 06:20 PM   #8
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Not a good answer to "what was the hype like," but I remember getting the impression for some reason, from some rumor, that the album was coming out on a certain date. Probably like months before it actually did. My local record store had a board listing all the albums coming out that month, and I kept checking and not seeing Adore on there. But I showed up on the rumored day and asked if it had come in, and the guy behind the counter was like, "Oh, no, but I hear it's coming out next month, and it's a double album, one disc electronic and one acoustic," and all these other bullshit-sounding details, and then he called over to another employee to find out what they'd heard. I didn't know whether he was fucking with me or if he'd actually heard any of this, but either way it sounded fake as hell, and I walked away. I still wonder.

I mean, yes, I had the internet by then, but you have to understand that there were like two sites that collected Pumpkins news at the time, and Netphoria was one of them.