View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Oceania gave me the slightest glimmer of hope that they might be able to make something engaging in the future. It was far from great, but recording an album with an actual full band (not just Billy and friends) gave the music an energy that had not been present in a long time. Then Monuments to an Elegy more or less torpedoed that momentum. From then on, I have just accepted it a good thing if we get two or three great songs from each "cycle", and can enjoy that since James returned, they have become an excellent live act. The studio material definitely does not intrigue me in any way like it used to. Only thing I am truly holding out for is the 12/2/2000 Metro show. Once (if) that ever drops, I will likely be done with SP as more than a Monte-certified "casual fan".

I did almost entirely check out between that era where Brad Wilk and Mark Stoermer were in the band to Jimmy rejoining. At that point, it felt like whatever intentions Billy had in playing as Smashing Pumpkins again had long become unclear. In retrospect, it seemed he felt the same way.