View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 04:40 PM   #22
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
the music to play in the dark albums are the only ones i've revisited aside from love's secret domain and horse rotorvator.

is that really all i need?
I'd say definitely give Backwards 2015 a spin, and check out A Thousand Lights In a Darkened Room and Ape of Naples at least once. Stolen and Contaminated Songs is Love's Secret Domain outtakes but it kinda has its own trippy little identity. I'm also pretty partial to Black Antlers but that's a me thing. Moon's Milk In Four Phases, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I read this insanely long fan-bio of the group on archive.org a few months ago, and also checked out their rejected Hellraiser soundtrack.

Really sucked to hear the one guy was an insane drunk w/ possible other mental illnesses piled on

Are their any particularly good live video shows to watch? Do you think they had a "peak era"? It seems like they had many peaks in their career. I hear people saying different albums from different decades are their best.

Supposedly the band never made much profit but was bankrolled by Sleazy's album-design money?

come on man, feed me with info
I tend to not do a lot of youtube show watching, it always makes me miserable because I find myself wishing I could have been there. But Coil weren't your everyday touring working band, they did sporadic dates in their earliest days before basically not touring for decades until the early 2000s, when they got dressed up in these insane white furry suits and Jhonn would run around screaming half the time. It was more performance art than typical concert. There's a series of live albums called Live Four to Live One and "...And The Ambulance Died In His Arms" that are very much worth a listen.

JB had very longstanding mental health issues and his alcoholism eventually wound up killing him when he fell off a balcony drunk. It's rather sad. There's footage of their very last show ever and he's basically falling apart at the seams.

"Peak" is a difficult term to apply to them. Horse Rotorvator is an incredibly influential album for the likes of NIN of course but it's a pretty commonly held opinion that they really hit the top of their game and did their best work in the late 90's with the MTPITD albums, particularly the first one. They called their earlier, harsher period their "solar" phase and their later period their "lunar"" phase. Ape Of Naples is viewed by a lot of people as a beautiful final work.