View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #12
where is me
Demi-God

Well said, One Night Only.

I agree with your opinion, that there can be various interpretations to a song, but that there mostly is an overall consensus about the intention or emotion that is hidden behind it. (If I understand you right.)

So what kind of archetypes or emotions do the Smashing Pumpkins appeal to? I do think there are some common and general terms as mentioned earlier. But an overall theme might be the existential scream, the infinite sadness, the lost love forever.

And that's where Ken Wilber comes in, I especially like this writer cause of his clear system in which he involves all kind of theories and thoughts, from Buddha till the Big Bang. His book A Brief History of Everything, states that there is this development, evolution going on. A state of mind that is constantly changing and entering new territories. And these evolutions and developments are not only occurring in individuals, but on a macro-level as well. I highly recommend this book; it changed my view on the world profoundly. Funny thing, Billy Corgan himself says this is one of his favourite authors and so interests do seem to collide! Of what might be seen as coincidence.

Anyway. I wondered which wave the Pumpkins were riding, which wave in this spectrum of evolving consciousness. And also, which wave are we riding with them! Isn’t it similar in a lot of ways?

The Pumpkins are a band with a (conscious or unconscious) message, a message with an intention, a motive. And those motives are covered with images, symbols, archetypes. Do we share these things just because we like this music, do we receive the message they intend? Is there a similarity with us people on this board and the people behind the music? Of course. Does that similarity span some same areas as spirituality, philosophy and beauty as well? Or is it even more specific?

Hm, maybe this attempt to understand the meaning and the way music is perceived is kind of useless. How can we actually explain this inner-subjectivity with rational logic? I will just put on a record and listen, simply listen and enter the non-dual.

Just this.