Thread: AUSTIN TX !!!
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #251
jjbjjbjjb
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull
ps fuck you jjjbjbjjbjjjb. get the fuck off corgan's dick already and show some objectivity and maybe a sense of humor once in a while.
It's tough to unpack the layers of irony here...

1. I make a good-natured joke. Your response is to attack me for not having a sense of humor. Your ability to take a joke is what should be in question here.

2. I good-naturedly own up to my fanboyishness. Your response is to tell me to "show some objectivity". Thanks, but I'm fine the way I am.

Let me clue you in to something, kid: to evaluate is necessarily to abandon objectivity. Someone who has mixed feelings about item X is no more objective than someone who loves it or someone who hates it: each of these people are offering evaluations, which are necessarily subjective. So when we're talking about "good" and "bad", objectivity isn't even an issue.

What is an issue, however, is honesty. If a person who claims to have mixed feelings truly does not has those mixed feelings, his deliberate injection of "balance" into his evaluation is dishonest. Monte's occasional disses of the band come off as forced to me, like he's trying to fit in. The guy has flown all over the country for the band this year, he loves them. Now, I'm not saying there can't possibly be things about them he doesn't like...I'm sure there are. And no, I don't know Monte personally. But, hey, it's a message board...I'm shooting from the hip and I call 'em as I see 'em. It's not like I expect him to agree with me ("You're right, jjb! I don't really feel those things!"), but our having this conversation is not necessarily all about Monte. This is a public forum, so it's as much about the readers, the lurkers. I want them to know that there are people who read this board and think, "boy, that half-hearted diss that so-and-so just posted is so phony".

I have to admit, though, that when it comes to you, redbull, I actually do think your band- and fan-bashing is honest. A lot of huge Pumpkins fans are deeply self-loathing.