View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
no, i'm sure he has.

but i'm pretty sure jimmy's flashy playing was already a big part of his style, and billy wasn't necessarily responsible for bringing that out, and jimmy didn't HELP create that massive drumming sound, I feel he's just as responsible for that specific sound and 'groove' as billy is responsible for that smashing pumpkins vocal and guitar sound.
What I'm getting out of it is that Jimmy had some tendency to fall into playing more simply than we're used to hearing, and Billy often had to keep on him and say "No. Spice it up a little." Again, I don't see what's terribly wrong about him saying that if it's true. Would Jimmy really be widely thought of as a great drummer today if he had merely played straight beats without the flash that we're used to?

Quote:
If he's such a pioneer for great sounding SP drum parts, why have mikes parts been so damn amateurish and dull so far? Jimmy should be easy to replace if that drum sound was all bill's creative doing. "Hey jimmy! do that fast hands thing you do at the bridge!'' jesus christ it's embarrassing.
You're putting words in his mouth. He never said he pioneered SP's drum parts or that they were his creative doing. He's basically just saying that Mike is a different kind of drummer than Jimmy, and that even Jimmy had to be prodded a bit to fit his style to what Billy wanted for the songs.