View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 04:44 AM   #27
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I've been on an Adore kick lately in both listening and piecing the era together so this thread comes at a good time for me.

I've been writing out some rambling thoughts:

1994: With Kurt dead rock music had lost its leader. Billy was positioned to his place but he would need to pull out something massive with the next album.

1995: SP come out MCIS late into the year. It instantly filled the hole grunge music had been missing. Spawning multiple angsty hit rock songs.

1996: SP is the biggest rock band in the world.

I remember Billy saying things around this time that the next record would pick up where 1979 left off. I am pretty sure this is in a Guitar World interview.

Then the Jimmy incident happens.

About a month later there is some hype for Billy's work on the Ransom soundtrack. I remember watching the movie and not really hearing anything SP sounding at the time.

1997: I finally get the Ransom Soundtrack and Billy's songs have some cool moments but feels a little aimless.

Lost Highway is getting hyped. Another month goes by and we get the track Eye in Feb which is a hit. I was personally heavily affected by this track. I was envisioning the next album being more in nature with this song. I though Billy had finally nailed that sort of techno through real instruments sound he was chasing during MCIS.

Summer comes with the hype of Batman and Robin. We eventually get single with The End Is the Beginning Is the End. It’s another major hit song and carries the same techno adjacent sound of Eye. I am hyped now more than ever for the future of the band.

It is weird how this late 96 through summer 97 era was more about film soundtrack hype. I remember feeling that they would be ok without Jimmy based on these two complete songs.

I do not remember the song Christmastime during this period for some reason.

This is the era of first having access to the internet for me. It's weird how my pre-teen obsession with SP and the rise of internet culture are so intertwined. Early Adore era is when the band started to be that obsession rather than liking the radio songs. It went from a cultural/social awareness to an obsession around this time.

Writing this out made me remember how we used to collect soundtracks and singles back in the day.