View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 07:51 AM   #22
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
i remember the Eva adore thing.... it's how billy pronounced it.
I also remember the talk of the double disk, one side acoustinc, one side electric. IIRC it was called Autumn Nocturn. no idea how that rumor started - probably billy's own mouth.
Yes I remember that, there was also the "arcane night music" quote.

It was always going to be different. Jimmy leaving meant it was never going to be the same SP. As stated above, I remember the build with Eye and then TEITBITE, it sounded like the future of the band - fast electronica / techno still with guitars.

Then as news and quotes were coming out, Billy had to deny it was an "acoustic" record. So something different was brewing.

Ava Adore when you think about what was to come, wasn't really that different. It just had a breakbeat and less distorted guitars, but it still had that twin guitar solo. But it was hyped up to be this massive left turn.

When the album came out, I think it suffered a bit from 90's CD bloat - it was just too long. It could've lost a good 15 minutes and still been a perfectly good album. It took me a long time to get into it, even though on the surface I really liked the sound. I was getting out of being "into" rock / grunge at that time, and electronic music really was the wave of the future.

It's failure was a strange one however. Radiohead didn't suffer from that fate when Kid A came out. Maybe the world was just moving on from SP by 1998, even if they had released another rock album, it would've been classed as "more of the same". They really couldn't win either way.

Thankfully what we're left with is a beautiful record. I just got the double vinyl, and it's probably the truest SP album to stand up to the vinyl experience.