View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 02:56 AM   #135
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Can anyone in this thread tell me when Billy Corgan last made a truly great album? Or even an above average album? Dave Grohl and Trent Reznor have maintained a certain standard for decades now.

I'm not really into Foo Fighters, but he's been doing his thing for awhile now, getting out from the shadow of Kurt for his entire life, filling stadiums, making music. Trent has been winning Oscars and Emmys, changing the landscape of the industry, all while staying true to himself but also evolving gracefully.
I would honestly say that his last great one was Machina. Obviously it's shrouded in teenage sentimentality for me, but that was the last one in my book.

On Foo - 'been doing his thing for awhile now' is a pretty good summary of my long ass thread. Dave just hasn't done anything that different ever - because he can't. His songwriting depth isn't anywhere near as deep as that of BC. Shit, man: give me ONE song from his catalog that is anywhere as good as "To Forgive". There's just not. He gets about as deep/pretty as "Walking After You" or "Next Year". And while as said before, yeah - I like the Foo Fighters and bought a bunch of their stuff - it's just fundamentally not as good, to GreenGlynis' point... despite maybe having a longer, more consistent run. Maybe.

On NIN - I don't dislike them and will wholly admit that I'm not nearly as versed in them as SP, but it's a one trick pony. Angsty electronic stuff with lyrics that are throughout the entire catalog as deep as about as shallow as Corgan ever gets, ie: "An Ode to No One", save the 'runaround girls in get-go cars' breakdown, as that is definitely outside of Trent's range.

That said, will def give you the soundtrack thing. Trent does cool stuff there, and has definitely found a different horse that isn't the black NIN horse.