Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guitar Playing and gear thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181491)

soniclovenoize 04-18-2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4258416)
aural exciters are usually used in the studio to "magic up" some vocals, or thinking out of the box - maybe even guitars or drums. they basically boost a certain range of frequencies anywhere from 2khz-10khz, which on vocals is the sibilance and air.

i find it unlikely corgan owned an aural exciter when he was 19 or whatever, it's too obscure a piece of gear. but all that doesn't matter at all - if you like the way it sounds, that's your money's worth. do you use it on your guitar?

Manufacture date is 1988. He would have had to buy it new. And for someone who was building a studio and using his father's, it might not have been an obscure piece of gear.

Gonna use it for mixing, sweeten mixes up with it.

teh b0lly!!1 04-19-2016 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4258531)
The idea behind dropping the low E from the majority of chords is mostly to put more space between myself and the bassist

u mean like, the space of the missing string?

you can just stand further away from the guy lol
plz clarfify

Cool As Ice Cream 04-19-2016 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4258642)
you can just stand further away from the guy lol

lololo

or get him some deodorant for his birthday

Elphenor 04-19-2016 08:50 AM

This is serious stuff guys!

Disco King 04-19-2016 07:28 PM

This will just be his weird quirk that people remember him for when he becomes a famous musician. Like how Jimi Hendrix played his instrument upside down because he used a right-handed guitar when he was left-handed. Or how Sonic Youth uses fucked up alternate tunings.

People will be like, "that Elph guy, I want to only use notes above the 12th fret on the G, B, and high E strings to get that distinct Elphenor & the (Ironically-Named) Endorphins sound."

slunken 04-19-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4258628)

Gonna use it for mixing, sweeten mixes up with it.

will definitely hit you up again

Elphenor 04-19-2016 07:32 PM

There isn't too much there's just enough after all that

Theres a very punk line from D. Boon from Minutemen where he describes the reason for dropping all the bass from his guitar tone

"we thought it was important that each instrument be its own sovereign nation"

Additionally basically anywhere where you'd usually see a power chord played with the low E string in a punk song, D. Boon instead plays a funk chord where you barre the 3 thinnest strings on the same fret

Elphenor 04-19-2016 07:35 PM

He was also a guy from California who was obsessed with British post punk and started wearing white dress shirts in imitation

slunken 04-19-2016 07:38 PM

elph have you heard protomartyr from detroit?

Elphenor 04-19-2016 07:41 PM

Anything but Metal

Elphenor 04-19-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4258778)
elph have you heard protomartyr from detroit?

Their vocalist is meh, I feel like he doesn't add much, but I like them

slunken 04-19-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4258797)

its his group. he's 10+ years older than everone else

teh b0lly!!1 04-19-2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

but... but... he's wearing sunglasses in a darkened room!

Elphenor 04-19-2016 08:27 PM

*shrugs*

As a vocalist I don't like him, I don't dislike him either.

If he's responsible for the sound outside of the vocals the Im obviously wrong here

slunken 04-19-2016 08:29 PM

no worries - was just curious waht you might think. i just heard about them and they're apparenltly a hot shit modern post-punk outfiit

Elphenor 04-19-2016 08:40 PM

They are checking all the boxes that's for sure

soniclovenoize 04-20-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4258780)
I bought one of these many many years ago when I was using a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder. It really took the natural dull recordings and made them brighter and more alive. It also had the Big Bottom button, which I always had on for Spinal Tap reasons.

I read that it actually delays certain frequencies by microseconds so they all don't reach your ear at the same time and it sounds clearer. It doesn't actually boost or cut anything, from what I remember. A great unit for the cassette thing, not really sure how well it would work on digital recordings.

Intradesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4258769)
will definitely hit you up again

:2thumbsup

slunken 04-22-2016 08:17 PM

Finally picked up an EHX Pitch Fork. Loving the shit out of this. Much needed in my chain. I loop and stack a lot so this is an amazing way to cut through my own bullshit and add higher (or in some cases lower) frequencies.

It's basically a harmonizer, pitch shifter, and whammy all in one nano pedal. I like it because it not only lets me go up to 3 octaves up or down but it also does 5ths. The tracking is the best in the game.

Replaces my envelope filter and is a wonderful add-on to the C9 organ machine. Can also do chorus effects.

teh b0lly!!1 04-22-2016 10:18 PM

^ sounds great.

it can be kind of tacky but it all depends on how you use it, i guess. i really dig how it can make a guitar sound like pedal steel - that gliding effect attracts me the most. the muff combination sounds great too.

Disco King 04-22-2016 10:53 PM

Set it to two octaves up

Tune to F#

Remove A, E, and D strongs

Capo on 12th fret

Treble all the way up, bass all the way down

You're in bat country now. The sounds you play will be within the same frequency range as the clicks used in echolocation.

Elphenor 04-23-2016 06:40 AM

Pretty punk

Elphenor 04-23-2016 06:42 AM

I'm afraid to tune up though because I don't want the strings to pop and hit me in the face.

When I was 11 that happened to me and I didn't touch a guitar again until I was 18

Disco King 04-23-2016 08:14 AM

I once had a shitty acoustic guitar that I couldn't even tune up to standard tuning without the strings breaking. I don't know enough about the mechanics of guitars to know exactly what was wrong with it that was causing that, or if it was fixable. I eventually just got a new one.

Even then, I've never used a tuning higher than standard before, and I don't even know if that's a common thing. I mean, whereas tuning a step or two lower gives you access to lower notes you wouldn't otherwise have at the lower frets, tuning higher would only give you higher notes you normally wouldn't have at the highest frets that people don't tend to use much unless they are soloing.

But I guess it might just be more of a psychological thing. If you are used to defaulting to some particular frets when coming up with musical ideas, then everything you write will be higher if you tune up, I suppose.

I pretty much just use tunings from C#-E. Sometimes drop tunings, but rarely.

Also, that Pitchfork pedal looks pretty awesome. I was thinking of getting one, but I'm thinking that a Whammy might suit my purposes better (I think I already discussed this in this thread). But the Pitchfork's smaller footprint would be a great space saver, too.

Elphenor 04-23-2016 10:46 AM

Here recorded this just now

Chorus on the chord picking guitar and just reverb on the scale playing guitar

Disco King 04-23-2016 06:14 PM

Nice job!

You are already better at chord picking than I am, I'm really sloppy at it.

There are a few "wrong" notes in the lead I feel like (that's what it feels like to me, but maybe I'm wrong), and it doesn't seem that tightly synced with the rhythm, it sounds a little randomly thrown on. I have the same problem with making leads and chords meld. Counting and really listening to what you're playing over instead of getting too focused on what you're playing is a big part of fixing that.

I think a good way to make leads sound like they have more purpose and direction is to make a couple licks that you will repeat, and place them in key places. Then link them with the other noodly stuff in between that anticipate them. Construct the leads around the licks. Almost like leads and solos are mini "songs" with song-like structures that ******* repetition and patterns (though don't take this too literally; don't make the solo literally have a verse-chorus-verse-like structure [although I mean you could it's not like it would be inherently awful but I'm not saying you need to do that]).

Somebody else probably has better advice than this.

But good stuff! :2thumbsup

Elphenor 04-23-2016 06:50 PM

Yeah it was just one take for the lead improvising, I really ought to be playing to a metronome when I'm recording over myself like that

Disco King 04-23-2016 07:11 PM

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's always a good idea to just do a random improvisation over the rhythm, play it back, and keep the parts you like for the refined lead part.

crabshack 04-23-2016 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4259463)
Nice job!

You are already better at chord picking than I am, I'm really sloppy at it.

There are a few "wrong" notes in the lead I feel like (that's what it feels like to me, but maybe I'm wrong), and it doesn't seem that tightly synced with the rhythm, it sounds a little randomly thrown on. I have the same problem with making leads and chords meld. Counting and really listening to what you're playing over instead of getting too focused on what you're playing is a big part of fixing that.

I think a good way to make leads sound like they have more purpose and direction is to make a couple licks that you will repeat, and place them in key places. Then link them with the other noodly stuff in between that anticipate them. Construct the leads around the licks. Almost like leads and solos are mini "songs" with song-like structures that ******* repetition and patterns (though don't take this too literally; don't make the solo literally have a verse-chorus-verse-like structure [although I mean you could it's not like it would be inherently awful but I'm not saying you need to do that]).

Somebody else probably has better advice than this.

But good stuff! :2thumbsup

horrible advice

slunken 04-23-2016 11:12 PM

emotions or gtfo

Disco King 04-23-2016 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4259521)
Great job! Once piece of advise though. If you want your solos and guitar parts to sound spontaneous and off-the-cuff, then practice them over and over in that way until you have it down.

You don't have to write down your solo note-for-note. Keeping musical ideas you like and using them as "anchor points" between more improvisational noodling doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Especially if those anchor points are kind of like punctuation, like the parts where you want the solo to kind of transition moods.

I mean, how many solos on records you like are probably first-take random improvisations? Like okay sometimes you strike gold the first time ("The Aeroplane Flies High"), but you don't think musicians ever take their initial raw material and refine it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4259523)
emotions or gtfo

I revise my advice. To make your solos tighter, work on your feels. Incorporate fifteen minutes of practicing feeling things into your practice schedule. It helps to get a friend to spot you so that he or she can tell you if you're feeling them right.

Disco King 04-23-2016 11:41 PM

"A student once asked a wise old (blind) legendary jazz musician how to improve her modal playing.

The teacher turned to the student, gave a wry smile, and said, 'A baby fish turned to the papa fish and asked, "Daddy, what's water?" The papa fish turned around and said, "If you've got to ask, you'll never know!"'

The student asked for her money back, but the master said 'final sale.'

And that student's name? JIMI HENDRIX."

Disco King 04-23-2016 11:44 PM

But seriously somebody offer some real advice because I was talking out of my ass and now I actually want to know

teh b0lly!!1 04-23-2016 11:56 PM

just play in time and use notes that don't sound like shit

:banging:

cork_soaker 04-24-2016 12:03 AM

chord tones