Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   You Know I'm Chat Thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187148)

FlamingGlobes 03-15-2019 04:34 PM

But what about Suicide Squad 2?!

- no one ever

Disco King 03-15-2019 05:06 PM

Even though I haven't seen the movies, I didn't really agree with firing him in the first place.

It was right-wing Trumptrainee Twitter trolls like Mike Cernovich that dug up the tweets in the first place. And these guys don't so much drudge this stuff up because they have a problem with it, but rather because they dislike right-wingers like Trump being taken to task for being LITERAL SEX OFFENDERS, so in an infantile fashion, they find examples of left-wingers making paedophilia jokes (not even seriously endorsing paedophilia, but simply making off-colour and crude jokes about the topic) so that they can go, "SEE, THE LEFT DOES IT TOO! WHY DON'T THEY GET PUNISHED," and the left falls for it every time.

They also tried to do it with Sam Seder, and got him fired from MSNBC for making jokes about Roman Polanski's crimes, even though the purpose of the joke was to ridicule Roman Polanski and make the point that Polanski being a good filmmaker doesn't erase the fact that he's a child abuser.

MSNBC, being dumb, fired him anyway, and only hired him back when they realized that they would get no political points for firing him, because everybody realized how dumb firing him was.

Disco King 03-15-2019 05:14 PM

Also, because I'm not a pearl-clutcher who thinks certain topics a should arbitrarily be off-limits from being addressed by comedy, I don't think that making blue jokes about sensitive topics is inherently morally wrong, much less morally equivalent to doing the kind of shit Roy Moore or Donald Trump have done. I appreciate that the left wants to hold its own to task to avoid being hypocrites, and we shouldn't protect people just because they are on "our side," but sometimes in pursuing respectability politics and purity politics, people on the left fall on their swords calling out people for the stupidest shit, even though the right NEVER does this.

Disco King 03-15-2019 05:17 PM

But I am kinda legit disappointed about his take on Suicide Squad potentially not happening now, because it was supposed to be a clean break from the Ayer film rather than an actual sequel, and rumour had it that it was going to be more in line with the Ostrander comics material. I was actually cautiously optimistic about it.

Hopefully the Disney contract isn't exclusive, and he can do both. Or they get another person to do a Suicide Squad film that isn't Ayer's "Hot Topic Harley & Friends" movie.

topleybird 03-15-2019 05:23 PM

Don't worry, he's still doing the Suicide Squeakquel first

Disco King 03-15-2019 05:51 PM

Ah, cool.

Still annoyed about the Birds of Prey movie, though. I guess that's going to be the next "Harley & Pals" movie because they are sticking the character into that, even though she's not even a member of the Birds of Prey.

Casuals ruined Harley Quinn forever.

NORMIES GET OUT

buzzard 03-15-2019 10:18 PM

As a long-term fan of graphic novels, how necessary do you find all the movies?

I understand that a poor adaptation of a favorite work doesn't detract from the source material in any real sense, but am curious to know if you'd just as happily do without them altogether or whether having them brought to life in film is (at least potentially) some sort of bonus.

buzzard 03-15-2019 10:21 PM

Given how that ended up coming off as borderline self-answering, I guess I would offer that I'd probably rather James Franco did not try to render every second book I've read in celluloid.

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 04:36 PM

I had to put my dog down today. Literally feel like a huge chunk of my being is lost forever. :(

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 04:37 PM

Aside from my girlfriend, who was with me at the time, you guys are the first to know.

Take that to mean what you will.

yo soy el mejor 03-16-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4503041)
I had to put my dog down today. Literally feel like a huge chunk of my being is lost forever. :(

:[

no post/av

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 05:45 PM

P much

redbreegull 03-16-2019 05:47 PM

So sorry F'lobes :(

Was it sudden?

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4503049)
So sorry F'lobes :(

Was it sudden?

Yeah. I mean, he's been slowly showing his age more and more. Had arthritis in his hips, slept a lot but still ate and wagged and generally seemed happy. Went to bed like normal last night. My girlfriend left the apartment an hour before I got up, said he looked ok when she left. I woke up and heard him groaning a lot and found he had shit and pissed all over his bed and couldn't get himself up. I tried taking him outside but he just kept slumping over. Rushed to the vet, who said it could be a tumor but the only way to know was a biopsy. I already knew what I had to do and did it. And goddammit was it fucking hard.

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 05:57 PM

Also, thank you

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 05:58 PM

Three months shy of his 17th birthday. I got him when I was 18. I am now 34.

redbreegull 03-16-2019 06:07 PM

wow, what a good doggo :(

I'm glad you got to spend so many years with him. You made the right choice, as hard as it is.

My mom's fiancé's dog went the same way just a few months ago. he was older but seemingly healthy, then one day a tumor just caused him to not be able to stand

FoolofaTook 03-16-2019 06:07 PM

:(

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4503055)
wow, what a good doggo :(

I'm glad you got to spend so many years with him. You made the right choice, as hard as it is.

My mom's fiancé's dog went the same way just a few months ago. he was older but seemingly healthy, then one day a tumor just caused him to not be able to stand

He really was a good boy. The best. Saw me through many hard times.

As crappy as the last few hours of his life were, I am at least glad he didn't have to suffer too long. He went out with his head and neck cradled in my arm, snoring and groaning pleasurably (from the anesthestic). I think all things considered, he was very lucky to go the way he did.

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4503056)
:(

Thanks friend.

FoolofaTook 03-16-2019 06:19 PM

17 is pretty old for a noble hound, is it not?

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4503059)
17 is pretty old for a noble hound, is it not?

Definitely up there. He was a Lhasa Apso, and smaller dogs usually live longer. He was about 93 in human years according to the age chart at the vet. I am grateful for how much time I got with him.

FoolofaTook 03-16-2019 06:34 PM

it's good that lived to a ripe, old age. though it's still hella :(

FoolofaTook 03-16-2019 06:34 PM

i looked up some pics of that breed. did he have long hair?

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4503062)
i looked up some pics of that breed. did he have long hair?

He could get pretty long, but I usually kept him pretty trim. Otherwise, he would mat up. And he didn't much cotton to being brushed.

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 06:44 PM

He was also kinda atypical of his breed. 30 lbs at his heaviest, and about twice as long/tall as the standard Lhasa. He was mostly black with white around his legs and belly. I'll post pics at some point in the near future.

FlamingGlobes 03-16-2019 06:45 PM

He could be both incredibly stubborn and relentlessly affectionate when he wanted to.

FoolofaTook 03-16-2019 07:22 PM

Sounds like a character. :)
It would be nice to see pics. What was his name?

teh b0lly!!1 03-16-2019 08:37 PM

animals always go out so violently. one moment they're fine, then the worst happens. all of a sudden, zero warning. it's hard to imagine how badly it hurts. sorry globes.

smashingjj 03-16-2019 09:07 PM

Shit is amazing

buzzard 03-16-2019 09:50 PM

Yeah, I can't think of anything that better facilitates the evacuation of undigested foodstuffs.

yo soy el mejor 03-17-2019 08:26 AM

i enrolled in my spring and summer classes.

since i only took 3 classes last quarter cause i was working and planning a wedding, i made up for it by enrolling in 5 classes (20 credit hours) for spring.

the summer quarter is also ten weeks, but there are more intense summer 1 and summer 2 sessions that are 5 weeks. i will be taking 1 online class in the first session and an online and in-person class in session 2.

just give me the damn degree already.

FlamingGlobes 03-17-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4503068)
animals always go out so violently. one moment they're fine, then the worst happens. all of a sudden, zero warning. it's hard to imagine how badly it hurts. sorry globes.

Thank you. Yeah, it's one of those things you know and think you're prepared for, but you never can be.

Disco King 03-17-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4502898)
like buzzard said: the same fucking day?

the message would be outrageous no matter when, but he's apparently blissfully unaware of concepts like basic decency?

Even Trump would at least tweet out a diplomatic and reasonable message before going off script and complaining about "the Muslims" in some rally or interview the following day.

Even Trump.

Disco King 03-17-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4503041)

I'm very sorry to hear that. I've never had to put down a pet before. I can't imagine how that feels.

Looking at all of his stuff must invoke this horrible, empty ache. :(

Disco King 03-17-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4502998)
As a long-term fan of graphic novels, how necessary do you find all the movies?

I understand that a poor adaptation of a favorite work doesn't detract from the source material in any real sense, but am curious to know if you'd just as happily do without them altogether or whether having them brought to life in film is (at least potentially) some sort of bonus.

If they make a movie and it looks okay, I'm down to see it. But the movies aren't necessary. In fact, I feel like the reason a lot of comic-book fans get so hung up on movies is that having the properties reach a wider audience through a more popular and lucrative medium "legitimizes" their hobby in their mind in some way. Maybe they feel like everybody lining up to see the new Ant-Man film vindicates them for having had an interest in something that, until now, was considered odd or even lame. I don't need movie adaptations to legitimize my interest in comics, and the comics are more important to me than the adaptations. In fact, I kind of cringe when comic-book publishers feel compelled to alter their comic-book properties to match the changes made in film adaptations, or tweak them to make them more adaptable to film. Marvel is especially guilty of this. They run the risk of making the comics nothing more than IP farms, rather than making comics for the sake of comics, and maybe some of those comics being adapted to films if the comic inspires somebody to use their material to make a film for the sake of films (that happens to be based on a comic).

I'd also rather there be no adaptation at all than a bad adaptation, if only because poisoning the brand makes the property toxic to studios until the next reboot cycle, and maybe that ruins the opportunity for somebody else to make a superior adaptation. But I also don't lose sleep over shitty adaptation. The world goes on.

FoolofaTook 03-17-2019 09:15 PM

you don't lose what?

SLEEP

FoolofaTook 03-17-2019 09:17 PM

Mals Marola 03-17-2019 09:37 PM

is that actually Sleep or some trio supergroup featuring members of Primal Scream & The Flaming Lips?

FoolofaTook 03-17-2019 09:46 PM

do you think this is a game?