Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   You Know I'm Chat Thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187148)

cork_soaker 10-14-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4605800)
i could see how it would be very easy to fall in love with the sight of me but i'm very complex

i'm not just a body

i'm picturing suspenders and a visible aroma cloud

teh b0lly!!1 10-14-2022 02:06 PM

Cork please - it's sillage

teh b0lly!!1 10-14-2022 02:06 PM

cork_soaker 10-14-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4605900)
Cork please - it's sillage

apologies, and thank you

"suspenders and visible sillage"

slunken 10-14-2022 06:20 PM

i literally bought suspenders last week you guys have got my number

slunken 10-14-2022 06:20 PM

they're for work because i'm getting fat! they're not fashion!

mxzombie 10-15-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4605854)
you musta never seen Za!

smashingjj 10-15-2022 05:33 PM

Good band!

Disco King 10-15-2022 05:54 PM

I went to an "emo" night last night that played zero Rites of Spring, zero Mineral, zero Cap'n Jazz, zero Dag Nasty, zero I Hate Myself, zero Sunny Day Real Estate, zero Jawbreaker, zero Snowing, zero Dads, zero American Football, but did play Paramore, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, and Limp Bizkit.

I still bopped to MCR and "Mr. Brightside" because that shit is legit good regardless of genre, but this was in no way an "emo night."

yo soy el mejor 10-15-2022 07:02 PM

D:

ilikeplanets 10-15-2022 07:32 PM

I guess "Shitty Early 00s Pop Punk Nite" won't draw a crowd

ilikeplanets 10-15-2022 07:34 PM

Did you see the When We Were Young 2023 lineup? Packed full of that crap, and unfortunately I do remember 90% of those bands

slunken 10-16-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4605994)
"Shitty Early 00s Pop Punk Nite"

aka modern country

ilikeplanets 10-17-2022 01:38 AM

Del

ilikeplanets 10-17-2022 01:43 AM

Double del

slunken 10-17-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4605853)
no, the super is being mean to you

make the noise back and he'll beat you up, sadly

god dammit I KNEW IT

Disco King 10-17-2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4605995)
Did you see the When We Were Young 2023 lineup? Packed full of that crap, and unfortunately I do remember 90% of those bands

Is that a music festival? Haven't heard of it yet.

If it is packed with that kind of music, why didn't they just call it "Taste of Chaos/Warped Tour 2023?"

ilikeplanets 10-17-2022 12:34 PM

Yeah, it's in Vegas. I think the first one was last year? I'm sure they chose that name because no one under 30 is going to attend...I don't think Simple Plan or Avril Lavigne are getting any new fans.

ilikeplanets 10-17-2022 12:37 PM

Kind of like when I called the venue where SP is playing to see if I'd need to purchase a parking pass in advance, and the employee asked me for what show. When I said Smashing Pumpkins he's like, "Yeah, it will be a bunch of Gen Xers and they all drive." Truth hurts?

Disco King 10-17-2022 12:41 PM

You'd be surprised.

Just like when I was a kid, I was a "born in le wrong generation" who thought I was pretty cool because I liked '60s, '70s, and '90s rock, the alt zoomies are discovering '00s scene stuff and a lot of it is still pretty popular. The crowd at the emo dance night was a lot younger than the crowd at the gothic/post-punk/industrial nights that the same venue regularly holds.

In a lot of ways, I think that zoomers are actually more musically sophisticated than past generations. They have access to everything, and so they listen to a wider variety of stuff, and it's not considered "weird" to be into a bunch of shit before you were born anymore.

In middle school and high school, I went through scene and then grunge phases. People younger than me went through phases where they liked Venetian Snares instead of Pearl Jam or AFI. And people I know who are older, maybe boomers, they talk about getting their records from the hardware store, only having had read about punk in grocery store magazines with no way to listen to it until their older brother came back from college with some records, and only finding out more about their favourite mysterious rock stars through the odd magazine interview here and there. They didn't have internet or even MTV or anything.

It's just that, since zoomers tastes are still developing and they are still finding their way, they're not always going to be able to discern the stuff from the past worth listening to from the swill. I was talking to some alt zoomer who was excited to see Theory of a Deadman.

But there tastes will develop over time. It's part of finding your way in the world as a youth, ya know?

yo soy el mejor 10-17-2022 06:29 PM

FASCINATING

slunken 10-21-2022 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4606175)

In a lot of ways, I think that zoomers are actually more musically sophisticated than past generations. They have access to everything, and so they listen to a wider variety of stuff, and it's not considered "weird" to be into a bunch of shit before you were born anymore.

In middle school and high school, I went through scene and then grunge phases. People younger than me went through phases where they liked Venetian Snares instead of Pearl Jam or AFI. And people I know who are older, maybe boomers, they talk about getting their records from the hardware store, only having had read about punk in grocery store magazines with no way to listen to it until their older brother came back from college with some records, and only finding out more about their favourite mysterious rock stars through the odd magazine interview here and there. They didn't have internet or even MTV or anything.

It's just that, since zoomers tastes are still developing and they are still finding their way, they're not always going to be able to discern the stuff from the past worth listening to from the swill. I was talking to some alt zoomer who was excited to see Theory of a Deadman.

But there tastes will develop over time. It's part of finding your way in the world as a youth, ya know?

lol wtf

Here is the good and the bad of that as I see it:

the bad: you're constantly trying to attach an identity to yourself from the past whether it's "post-punk" or "being a hippy"

the good: you're blending styles and creating something new

for example: probably the biggest or most established "scene" in my city is just just 80s post-punk cold-wave. some bands are colder. some have guitars. etc. but like, here's the minotaur's labyrinth: do you just want to have fun or do you want to do something new and different?

I can't help but think that part of what you are saying is that most zoomer bands these days just sound like style (not cover) but style bands of things you've already heard a thousand years ago

slunken 10-21-2022 06:53 PM

actually i'm no judge of this i fucking despise rock and roll come to think of it

ilikeplanets 10-21-2022 08:46 PM

"80s post-punk cold-wave"

A genre should not have 5 words with 2 hyphens. That's what the problem is.

slunken 10-21-2022 08:48 PM

agree hard

slunken 10-21-2022 08:51 PM

i get that with something as dumb as rock and roll is, for sure

but it doesn't apply to poetry or painting does it?

like it just helps

the idea is that these 20 year old kids have latched onto a certain time period and are set on recreating it, as if they are playing a playstation 1 game for the very first time.

teh b0lly!!1 10-22-2022 04:27 AM

It gets old bitching about how shitty everything has become even though it's absolutely true

Disco King 10-22-2022 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4606714)
"80s post-punk cold-wave"

A genre should not have 5 words with 2 hyphens. That's what the problem is.

I mean, there's a broad genre called "post-punk," and a more specific related genre overlapping it named "coldwave."

The '80s is a decade.

It's not really that '"80s post-punk coldwave" is a genre name.

Disco King 10-22-2022 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4606679)
lol wtf

Here is the good and the bad of that as I see it:

the bad: you're constantly trying to attach an identity to yourself from the past whether it's "post-punk" or "being a hippy"

I don't know if that's a "problem" so much as a normal part of adolescence that people grow out of. Let them identify as genres, they ain't hurtin' nobody by it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4606679)
I can't help but think that part of what you are saying is that most zoomer bands these days just sound like style (not cover) but style bands of things you've already heard a thousand years ago

I didn't really say anything about the music zoomers actually make. Just the music they like. And it seems like they have a broad and diverse taste in and access to music, whereas when I was a kid, we all mostly just listened to the shit on Much Music. They don't seem to have developed discerning tastes to realize that maybe there's no reason to bring renewed attention to Limp Bizkit, but they listen to a bunch of stuff from across decades and actually check out niche scenes instead of everyone listening to the same Mega Artists like we did back when Mega Artists existed.

slunken 10-22-2022 11:27 AM

vaporwave was the end of music

after that it just splintered into millions of micro-niches available online and totally on demand

i could reinvent myself as a type of metal (that nobody in general has heard about or cares about) guy in probably as little as 12 hours

slunken 10-22-2022 11:28 AM

slunken 10-22-2022 11:32 AM

slunken 10-22-2022 11:34 AM

undisclosed sources indicate this may be the first country song that created the micro-genre of listing things the singer owns

Disco King 10-22-2022 11:38 AM

I do think we're having two different conversations here. You're talking about whether or not music (or maybe just rock music) is still innovating and evolving into legitimately novel sounds that aren't just people rehashing been-done genres or doing narrow crossovers of them. I'm talking about whether zoomers have a broader taste in music than previous generations did at the same age.

Honestly, idk what kind of music zoomers are making. I haven't heard much of it, yet.

slunken 10-22-2022 11:53 AM

oh yea zoomers have a much more broader taste but they're less invested for sure

slunken 10-22-2022 11:55 AM

thanks for reigning me back in (tone: sincere)

Disco King 10-22-2022 11:59 AM

Perhaps. Idk what Zoomer-made rock even sounds like.

Even starting in the millennial iPod age, I remember torrenting so much shit that I never felt like I was properly listening to it. Listen to a few albums and then not be able to remember anything about them or "feel" the music like I could before. But I think that's equal part having an overwhelming amount of content and just depressed brain/dysthymia leading to musical anhedonia.

ilikeplanets 10-22-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4606736)
I mean, there's a broad genre called "post-punk," and a more specific related genre overlapping it named "coldwave."

The '80s is a decade.

It's not really that '"80s post-punk coldwave" is a genre name.

I'm aware, but that entire phrase together sounds pretty uh, not cool

ilikeplanets 10-22-2022 12:03 PM

When your date asks what kind of music you like, say that

slunken 10-22-2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4606759)
musical anhedonia.

yep