Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guitar Playing and gear thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181491)

he/she/it 04-16-2016 06:41 PM

That's cool. What's the story on it belonging to BC, and you learning about it?

redbreegull 04-16-2016 06:47 PM

I was in a guitar shop near Boca Raton, FL about a decade ago and the owner was falling over himself trying to sell me this old practice amp he swore was unloaded to him by Billy Corgan, Sr. and was b0lly's childhood possession. He kept offering to pull out the bill of sale but I was a super awkward teenager at the time and really wanted him to leave me alone since he also wouldn't let me touch the guitars without standing over me.

soniclovenoize 04-16-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by he/she/it (Post 4258291)
That's cool. What's the story on it belonging to BC, and you learning about it?

It was apparently bought from The Corgan Camp when he was unloading gear on ebay a few years ago.

teh b0lly!!1 04-16-2016 10:41 PM

lol i don't even bother stringing the D what are you a n00b or something lol

he/she/it 04-17-2016 07:42 AM

I looked up the old SP ebay listings Twitter posts to see if I could find that Aural Exciter, but there wasn't mention of everything there, and I didn't see that one. Some of the signal processors mentioned in the SP ebay Twitter account, used by Billy:

DigiTech DHP-55 Preset Sound Demo (MCIS album & tour):
there's no youtube vid for DHP-55, but here's one for the DHP-33 - https://youtu.be/-l3Dqz_-PI4

BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer (MCIS, Adore albums, and looks like it's in a picture of his Siamese Dream live rig):
https://youtu.be/59nIe5qf2Ao
https://youtu.be/dXUpG9s8oyM

Digitech Valve FX (Mellon Collie, Adore, and Machina - presumably albums?):
https://youtu.be/tgtsJZNUD5Y

Line 6 Filter Pro (dunno where used):
https://youtu.be/ibYqGIL6Bl4

soniclovenoize 04-17-2016 01:10 PM

Yeah I know, i checked that too earlier this week, also could not find it--hence my use of the word "allegedly" instead of "definitely" or whathaveyou. ;) The guy is still tracking down the certificate of authenticity. No idea if I'll ever get it, and I'm fine with that. But I've always wanted an Aural Exciter, so this was my chance and it's a bonus that it might have been Corgan's.

Although, if it was an invited story, why say it was used on the pre-Gish demos instead of something more exciting like Adore or Siamese Dream? It's a really random factoid to make up that only a very specific and small demographic would care about. And who I got this from, that scene certainly doesn't care about Smashing Pumpkins at all.

teh b0lly!!1 04-17-2016 08:51 PM

aural exciters are usually used in the studio to "magic up" some vocals, or thinking out of the box - maybe even guitars or drums. they basically boost a certain range of frequencies anywhere from 2khz-10khz, which on vocals is the sibilance and air.

i find it unlikely corgan owned an aural exciter when he was 19 or whatever, it's too obscure a piece of gear. but all that doesn't matter at all - if you like the way it sounds, that's your money's worth. do you use it on your guitar?

Disco King 04-17-2016 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4258311)
personally, I quit using the B string 10 years ago. no one noticed. I'm thinking of fucking off the D next. The B7 will be a lot easier without that bastard fucking me for the ten thousandth time.

I mean I already have an E string with the same notes why do I need another one

I could easily replace it with a C string or something I don't have. Anybody have a C string they're not using? Damn those things are hard to find.

buzzard 04-17-2016 10:41 PM

Does anybody have any experience with power attenuators and words of wisdom to share?

reprise85 04-17-2016 10:49 PM

never get involved with a puerto rican. she will destroy your soul

Elphenor 04-18-2016 10:16 AM

The idea behind dropping the low E from the majority of chords is mostly to put more space between myself and the bassist

Elphenor 04-18-2016 10:17 AM

Like, I want to actually hear it

I mean in funk you pretty much NEVER would play that string

Edit: An exception would be like the "Hendrix" chord which is a standard funk chord on the 5th fret where you let the open E ring

run2pee 04-18-2016 11:05 AM

You can still use the notes from the low E though, just roll off the bass on your amp or your strat's tone knobs, or use a pickup closer to the bridge. Do that and it's never gonna clash with the bass, I promise u.

Personally I would never stop playing the low E (frequently tuned to D) it's too important for the numbskull riff rock I like to play

Elphenor 04-18-2016 06:49 PM

I use an all of the above approach even use a capo

Elphenor 04-18-2016 06:55 PM

Gotta get that twinkle twinkle sound

buzzard 04-18-2016 10:25 PM

You might have been better served by a Rickenbacker.

soniclovenoize 04-18-2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4258416)
aural exciters are usually used in the studio to "magic up" some vocals, or thinking out of the box - maybe even guitars or drums. they basically boost a certain range of frequencies anywhere from 2khz-10khz, which on vocals is the sibilance and air.

i find it unlikely corgan owned an aural exciter when he was 19 or whatever, it's too obscure a piece of gear. but all that doesn't matter at all - if you like the way it sounds, that's your money's worth. do you use it on your guitar?

Manufacture date is 1988. He would have had to buy it new. And for someone who was building a studio and using his father's, it might not have been an obscure piece of gear.

Gonna use it for mixing, sweeten mixes up with it.

teh b0lly!!1 04-19-2016 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4258531)
The idea behind dropping the low E from the majority of chords is mostly to put more space between myself and the bassist

u mean like, the space of the missing string?

you can just stand further away from the guy lol
plz clarfify

Cool As Ice Cream 04-19-2016 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4258642)
you can just stand further away from the guy lol

lololo

or get him some deodorant for his birthday

Elphenor 04-19-2016 08:50 AM

This is serious stuff guys!

Disco King 04-19-2016 07:28 PM

This will just be his weird quirk that people remember him for when he becomes a famous musician. Like how Jimi Hendrix played his instrument upside down because he used a right-handed guitar when he was left-handed. Or how Sonic Youth uses fucked up alternate tunings.

People will be like, "that Elph guy, I want to only use notes above the 12th fret on the G, B, and high E strings to get that distinct Elphenor & the (Ironically-Named) Endorphins sound."

slunken 04-19-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniclovenoize (Post 4258628)

Gonna use it for mixing, sweeten mixes up with it.

will definitely hit you up again

Elphenor 04-19-2016 07:32 PM

There isn't too much there's just enough after all that

Theres a very punk line from D. Boon from Minutemen where he describes the reason for dropping all the bass from his guitar tone

"we thought it was important that each instrument be its own sovereign nation"

Additionally basically anywhere where you'd usually see a power chord played with the low E string in a punk song, D. Boon instead plays a funk chord where you barre the 3 thinnest strings on the same fret

Elphenor 04-19-2016 07:35 PM

He was also a guy from California who was obsessed with British post punk and started wearing white dress shirts in imitation