Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Does anyone else have depression? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=174376)

duovamp 10-04-2011 12:54 PM

Trots just wants to get medical maryjane so he can have a scapegoat when he beats his wife to death.

reprise85 10-04-2011 01:03 PM

I'd like some medical for my ptsd ;)

Seriously, though, good studies going on. ^

agenda suicide 10-04-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz (Post 3769743)
no you'll just say "i was just raising the point", wanting this kid to make "proper research". what the fuck does that mean, is he supposed to dive into scientific litterature on the A1 serotonergic receptor. irresponsible fear mongering is what it is, just like your pal banana stefan.

What it means is the kid should talk to his parents about looking for a good doctor. The doctor is the one that should be doing the research for a proper solution.

agenda suicide 10-04-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3769749)
i'm going to go ahead and say that's an apocryphal tale.

even if it was happening all the time (which it isn't), that doesn't undermine the value of the drugs just underscores the questionable profit-seeking intentions of the pharmaceutical corporations

It was a family member. I'm not making up stuff just for the hell of it.

Gossamer 10-04-2011 06:21 PM

I would estimate that about 50% of the people here are suffering from some type of mental health issue. Online message boards are teeming with people with anxiety (social anxiety) and mood disorders (dysthymia) because for many people this is their main social outlet and it's a very controlled social situation.

Gossamer 10-04-2011 06:29 PM

I have posted before about how I am licensed by the NYSED as a mental health counselor with a specialty in treating mood disorders through psychotherapy. There is nothing that bothers me more than someone who is just getting prescribed meds for their issues and not having weekly talk therapy sessions. That is not how you get better or grow as a person because you aren't actually processing your feelings. Meds are great in the short term and when the issue is so severe that psychotherapy is not an option in that moment, but to be on meds for the rest of your life is no way to live IMO. If you are feeling depressed, look for help. Find a therapist that you feel you can talk to and work with and don't settle for just anyone.

We ourselves create our own heaven and hells here on earth.

dean_r_koontz 10-04-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenugly (Post 3769879)
I am in the process of cleaning it currently, you see I take bad care of myself, I have found CD cases with maggots, and I found the Adore CD covered in maggots, just awful, I have never cleaned here before, and my mother is disabled physically (Inb4 she's a retard, she isn't, she is very smart and she taught me how to use punctuation.) so she cannot clean this room.

My mother wants me to sleep in my old room again but I don't want that because there is no door on my room anymore, I dunno, my dad took it off a few years ago and I have no idea why.

I have cassettes in this basement, 10-15, mostly blank cassettes that I use for recording my music...I have a radio down ehre because I cannot go to sleep in pure silence, bugs me out.

can't your dad clean the basement or put up the door or is he out of the picture?

Nimrod's Son 10-04-2011 06:40 PM

you're a teenager, you're supposed to have bouts of depression

dean_r_koontz 10-04-2011 06:45 PM

and what about this asshole of a brother. can't some netphorians go to your house and kick his ass?

reprise85 10-04-2011 07:24 PM

Just because this thread is already here:

Depressed Brains May Hate Differently

I mean, this is a tiny study and doesn't mean very much but it is interesting.

Also, in reading the comments someone posted a really good description sadness vs depression:

"People without depression have more focused feelings. When they're sad, there is a direct cause-effect. People with a depression only have the effect, but not necessarily a cause. A sad person will tell you immediately what's making them sad. A depressed person simply withdraws, isolates himself/herself from the surrounding world and cannot state a clear reason for being unable to feel any uplifting emotion. They are basically sad for no reason at all, and since their sadness is not focused it is better described as "inability to feel anything that brings joy" as opposed to the actual feeling of sadness provoked by a real reason in a non-depressed person."

I don't think the first part is necessarily true, but the description after that is pretty good.

Gossamer 10-04-2011 07:47 PM

Eh, idk I think that people who are depressed are aware of at least part of the reason why they are sad. I think it is dangerous to say that they are basically sad for no reason at all. There is ALWAYS a reason if you dig deep enough into a person's thoughts.

To me sadness is an emotion while depression is a mental state. The sad emotion is just a part of the depression.

reprise85 10-04-2011 07:53 PM

I agree it's not no reason at all, it's just more convoluted and hidden under symptoms for some. Convoluted may not be the right word, but I mean seemingly complex.

I know you know the difference between sadness and depression but many people seem not to which is why I quoted that. Personally, my depression is more unfeeling than feeling sad, but that's a defense mechanism and sometimes it breaks down (in therapy - which is a good thing). I have other issues so I'm not saying it's like that for everyone.

Gossamer 10-04-2011 07:57 PM

The article you posted is pretty interesting, thanks for that...I'll probably use it in one of my groups next week and see what people think about it.

My thoughts on it are this (I only skimmed it so forgive me if I missed something):

I feel like one of the main cognitive distortions that people who are experiencing depression use is "black and white" thinking (this is also one of the main cognitive distortions in people who are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder). Basically the person labels other people (or themselves) as all good or all bad. What that article talks about is how depressed brains experience hatred in a much more extreme way than those that are not depressed and I think that the black and white thinking kind of goes hand in hand with that. Usually when you have someone afflicted with borderline personality disorder there is either severe aggressive behaviors towards others (particularly romantic partners) or the self (self mutilation). Typically people with borderline personality disorder experience extreme rage and explosive anger. It would make sense that there is some significant linkage going on here and I would be very interested in looking at the brains of people diagnosed with BPD and see if they are showing some of the similar traits shown in this study.

kelsome 10-04-2011 07:58 PM

yeah I've got the depression

reprise85 10-04-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossamer (Post 3770052)
The article you posted is pretty interesting, thanks for that...I'll probably use it in one of my groups next week and see what people think about it.

My thoughts on it are this (I only skimmed it so forgive me if I missed something):

I feel like one of the main cognitive distortions that people who are experiencing depression use is "black and white" thinking (this is also one of the main cognitive distortions in people who are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder). Basically the person labels other people (or themselves) as all good or all bad. What that article talks about is how depressed brains experience hatred in a much more extreme way than those that are not depressed and I think that the black and white thinking kind of goes hand in hand with that. Usually when you have someone afflicted with borderline personality disorder there is either severe aggressive behaviors towards others (particularly romantic partners) or the self (self mutilation). Typically people with borderline personality disorder experience extreme rage and explosive anger. It would make sense that there is some significant linkage going on here and I would be very interested in looking at the brains of people diagnosed with BPD and see if they are showing some of the similar traits shown in this study.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see that with many things. I'll be more excited when there's bigger studies though.

null123 10-04-2011 10:54 PM

that's good you're getting help rottenugly. your home situation sounds really stressful so however that plays into what's going on with your depression, I hope you can at least get some good talk therapy or some other outlet. I was depressed when I was 14 too.

Trotskilicious 10-05-2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agenda suicide (Post 3769952)
It was a family member. I'm not making up stuff just for the hell of it.

how mad are you at me right now for real

Trotskilicious 10-05-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 3770044)
Just because this thread is already here:

Depressed Brains May Hate Differently

I mean, this is a tiny study and doesn't mean very much but it is interesting.

Also, in reading the comments someone posted a really good description sadness vs depression:

"People without depression have more focused feelings. When they're sad, there is a direct cause-effect. People with a depression only have the effect, but not necessarily a cause. A sad person will tell you immediately what's making them sad. A depressed person simply withdraws, isolates himself/herself from the surrounding world and cannot state a clear reason for being unable to feel any uplifting emotion. They are basically sad for no reason at all, and since their sadness is not focused it is better described as "inability to feel anything that brings joy" as opposed to the actual feeling of sadness provoked by a real reason in a non-depressed person."

I don't think the first part is necessarily true, but the description after that is pretty good.

friend of mine put it pretty well by just saying "When I'm sad, there's a reason for it and I can cheer myself up with ice cream or a beer or three. When you're sad...well, nothing can cheer you up."

rottenugly 10-05-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz (Post 3770033)
can't your dad clean the basement or put up the door or is he out of the picture?

I don't like my father, wasn't there for me when I was little.

reprise85 10-05-2011 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3770119)
friend of mine put it pretty well by just saying "When I'm sad, there's a reason for it and I can cheer myself up with ice cream or a beer or three. When you're sad...well, nothing can cheer you up."

Right. The little things that make people laugh/smile/cheery are just totally absent in I guess severe cases. I told some therapist in a hospital that nothing gives me pleasure, I could win the lottery and find true love and I'd still be depressed. It was true at the time I think; I really did not want to live.

I mean, now that I feel somewhat better I have noticed how beautiful the sky is, and other little things that never even were a thought in my head before. I'm still not used to it (little moments of happiness, or whatever you want to call it). It fluctuates of course but it's good to be able to appreciate my progress.

I'm just writing all this because I know other people are struggling and it took me three years of therapy and inpatient stays and blah blah blah but I am getting better. I was definitely a "high risk" client because of my chronic suicidality and the nature of PTSD and Dissociative Disorders as well. I would probably still be classified that way but it doesn't really matter to me.

So, you can get better dudes. I'm on shaky ground but I can finally see it is possible to feel better. If you asked me a year ago or any time before that I would have said it's impossible.

dean_r_koontz 10-05-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenugly (Post 3770133)
I don't like my father, wasn't there for me when I was little.

ok. well keep us posted on this medication bussiness. stay strong.

agenda suicide 10-05-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3770118)
how mad are you at me right now for real

I'm not mad at you.

Cool As Ice Cream 10-05-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenugly (Post 3770133)
I don't like my father, wasn't there for me when I was little.

that doesn't mean he can't clean the basement or put the door back.

reprise85 10-05-2011 03:49 AM

Why can't you clean the basement? Because your depression is that bad right now? Can you explain why you can't do it yourself

redbull 10-05-2011 05:02 AM

i had (and continue to deal with) depression

i dunno, just start talking. that helps. i didn't read the thread since it is hugely fucking TLDR

rottenugly 10-05-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 3770171)
Why can't you clean the basement? Because your depression is that bad right now? Can you explain why you can't do it yourself

No, I neglected to clean it because I'm a lazy fuck and just want to sleep in fetal position.

I have cleaned some of it on Sunday, hence why I know it's that bad.

rottenugly 10-05-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream (Post 3770157)
that doesn't mean he can't clean the basement or put the door back.

I'm telling you, this isn't a typical father, after my mother had surgery, he tossed a bowl of cereal in her face, guy's a real asshole, it's best if I don't talk to him or don't talk about him because it makes me upset.

dean_r_koontz 10-05-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenugly (Post 3770181)
I'm telling you, this isn't a typical father, after my mother had surgery, he tossed a bowl of cereal in her face, guy's a real asshole, it's best if I don't talk to him or don't talk about him because it makes me upset.

dude some kind of sociopath?

dean_r_koontz 10-05-2011 06:52 AM

we should send some of the netphorian knuckleheads over there to kick his ass. like D and whatcolor.

Cool As Ice Cream 10-05-2011 08:33 AM

and 1fatslug


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2022