Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   i fucking love science (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180960)

pavementtune 05-23-2014 07:55 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfXiqDhIgAARJZF.jpg

MusicMan4 05-23-2014 08:16 AM

like a year or so ago there were a bunch of articles where people were outraged about the "trend" of people using their benefits to buy stuff like wild alaskan salmon and organic produce

"these people shouldn't be able to eat better than i do!" and such

so no matter what you do, you'll be in the wrong
they should work on everything classified as "food" regardless of if it is "real" food and absolutely everyone should shut up about how poor people spend their money

the most i ever made in a year was like $13k and I checked out how much i would qualify for and it was like $40 a month
this is not exactly an outrageous amount of money and i also pay taxes which is something a lot of poor people do even though non-poor people like to refer to themselves as "the taxpayers" exclusively
i'm eventually going to be living by myself making a little over a thousand dollars a month that way more than half will have to go to rent and i just wanna buy some damn organic spring mix with my snap card

MusicMan4 05-23-2014 08:20 AM

very cool science

duovamp 05-23-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4062444)

And then he wanders off to the mountains toward suicide... :(

MyOneAndOnly 05-23-2014 09:34 AM

if you use WIC in most states the expensive "organic" items are allowed.

D. 05-23-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 4062442)
the difference is that unemployment benefits are a form of insurance, not "welfare"

That was not question for you to answer. :erm:

S
T
F
U

Scotty

duovamp 05-23-2014 10:12 AM

Scotty please

Bread Regal 05-23-2014 10:16 AM

access to nutritious food should a basic human right with no questions asked.

Bread Regal 05-23-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4062443)
I like to remind my fellow employees that without SNAP our jobs probably wouldn't exist whenever they complain about food stamps.

I had a big argument/debate with my last supervisor about the Real Food thing. Yes, they should only be used for Real Food, however it is impossible to account for the myriad of possible exceptions, not to mention the arbitrary nature of some Real Food vs Junk Food (for example, fruit juice is not much healthier than soda).

The best one is when someone buys beer with cash and food with SNAP and people are like "they shouldn't do that!" and it's like, well yes in a perfect world, but in our world people do things because they are stressed or addicted to something and who are you to take away their recreation just because you don't agree with it, when you'd probably be fine with them going to the movies or something else like that that isn't a "vice" even though it's really the same damn thing.

thats weird because i think the working class getting free food so they can afford beer is consistent with the notion of a perfect world.

vixnix 05-23-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062463)

but no meat amirite

also, should access to nutritious food be a basic chimpanzee right? what about a basic gorilla right? a basic elephant right? a basic lion right? lions eat meat tho, what do we do there. does the lion's basic right to have access to nutritious food trump the springbok's basic right to have access to life?

contemplative times at ridgemont high

JokeyLoki 05-23-2014 11:58 AM

http://forums.netphoria.org/customav...tar27459_3.gif

The exploding boy 05-23-2014 12:08 PM

This is gonna be a sanctimonious (and TLDR) canadian post but whatever, as someone from a country where you can pretty much get welfare if you just apply for it a long as you can prove (and there's not much hoops to jump through there) your'e either not getting an income or at least not enough, i find the idea of food stamps sad and humiliating. Like oh well we're gonna help our poor some i guess but since they cant be trusted with actual money, let's make sure they really are using this for food and have to actually show it when they buy it. hopefully the shame will get them to pick themselves off by the bootstraps and get off them.

i mean my mom was on welfare earlier this year (she had to get operated for a tumor on her ovaries, that the government was paying of course, so couldn't work for a bit) and she still had property worth about 100 000$ that she was trying to sell and was staying at my brother's. She wasn't technically poor, but they still let her have some. In America people would scream entitlement. Personally i'm glad to be in a country where the moment you're unemployed for whatever reason, the government is ready to step in to help you. There's been countries where they've been talking about guaranteed minimal income, I think that's a terrific idea. I've heard it mentioned by a party here.

What I dont get about America (and i know this likely doesn't apply for anyone here) is that there's always this cliche of proud to be an American and all and it seems to me if you're proud of your country, then there should be a sense of solidarity, you should want to help your fellow citizens. But not in america, for a lot it seems your fellow citizen is your enemy. It's like i'm proud to be in a country where the guy next door is dying while i've got more than plenty and i'm not willing to part with one cent of it to help him with because you know, bootstraps.

Quite frankly i don't give a shit that part of my taxes goes to help people get healthcare or welfare (well ok so at my income level i dont pay lots of taxes...). Even if some of these people are abusing it. That's part of the cons but you can't throw away the system just because a small % are not deserving of it. That still in total losses does not in any way get close to the amount of taxes the 1% are not paying by putting their money in fiscal paradises anyway (and anyway ive known quite a few people on welfare, none of which i consider were abusing it). I don't care to pay because everyone else is also paying for the right of me to have it too. And if i somehow DON'T need it (well everybody will need healthcare at some point, but welfare), then that means i'm making enough money to be able to afford helping others get it.

i know im preaching to the choir but i mean....fuck.

Order 66 05-23-2014 12:41 PM

there's also the proven fact that food stamps are demonstrably stimulative to the economy. like, there's not one credible economist that would refute that

Eulogy 05-23-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4062343)

working for the ACS you start to notice that there's also a benefits gap, as in you are pretty poor but you make "too much money" to qualify for something because 1) it's for the truly destitute and/or 2) you got another form of assistance, which isn't enough, which disqualifies you from further benefits

Working in legal services was tough for this reason (well, among many others). We had absolute limits on who we could serve, based on the federal poverty guidelines. There is an enormous gap between people who qualify for legal services and people who can afford private attorneys. I'm not really sure how to fill that. Legal service organizations need way way way way more funding with much fewer strings tied to it.

MyOneAndOnly 05-23-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062463)

there's no nutritional difference between organic produce and non organic produce

duovamp 05-23-2014 01:30 PM

Well except for super powers.

Bread Regal 05-23-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 4062494)
there's no nutritional difference between organic produce and non organic produce

speaking as a person with a learning disability, you should really get tested because i didn't even use the word organic.

sppunk 05-23-2014 02:26 PM

Food stamps should only work at farmers markets and CSAs!

Eulogy 05-23-2014 02:43 PM

the local farmers' market is pretty cool but holy shit everything is expensive. never really buy anything there. fun to look though.

sppunk 05-23-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 4062505)
the local farmers' market is pretty cool but holy shit everything is expensive. never really buy anything there. fun to look though.

We are fortune to live with many and one of the best CSAs imaginable, so pretty much everything comes from them. Unfortunately they aren't accessible fir those without transportation.

D. 05-23-2014 03:24 PM

Everything at our closest farmer's market is pretty affordable. We are always amazed at the price there compared to almost double the price for the same at the grocery store.

Kreatorkind 05-23-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottytheoneand (Post 4062494)

Except for all the poisons on non-organic produce. You don't get that on certified organic.

Eulogy 05-23-2014 06:06 PM

What poisons are you referring to

MyOneAndOnly 05-23-2014 06:21 PM

science poison

reprise85 05-23-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062465)
thats weird because i think the working class getting free food so they can afford beer is consistent with the notion of a perfect world.

this is a good point actually

Kreatorkind 05-23-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 4062525)
What poisons are you referring to

Roundup for one.

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062502)
speaking as a person with a learning disability, you should really get tested because i didn't even use the word organic.

isn't that what veganism means, dreadlock hippy superstar

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreatorkind (Post 4062540)
Roundup for one.

roundup is sprayed on weeds you goddamn retard

the primary concern for organictards is the pesticides

Kreatorkind 05-23-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4062556)
roundup is sprayed on weeds you goddamn retard

the primary concern for organictards is the pesticides

Someone should do some more reading before sounding like a moron... *coughTrotscough*

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...g-herbicide-p/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-toxicity.aspx

http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/index.jsp

Who's the "goddamned retard" now?

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 09:44 PM

still you

i just want to let you know that you're profoundly fat so lecturing us about health is hilarious

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 09:44 PM

also do you smoke you look like the kind of fat idiot that would buy organic food and smoke

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 09:45 PM

although you aren't a hipster so organic american spirits wouldn't be something you'd buy

Kreatorkind 05-23-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4062579)
still you

i just want to let you know that you're profoundly fat so lecturing us about health is hilarious

You also are profoundly fat, and also ugly. Get a date... oh, wait, you can't because of your face.

Tell me again about how roundup is only for weeds in suburbia. :)

Loser fuck.

The exploding boy 05-24-2014 12:04 AM

Fatsos please stop fighting or else you won't be getting any more cake.

Trotskilicious 05-24-2014 12:05 AM

awe but i like cake

Trotskilicious 05-24-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreatorkind (Post 4062633)
You also are profoundly fat, and also ugly. Get a date... oh, wait, you can't because of your face.

seriously? You even look like the forever alone guy and you're using this shit on me?

The exploding boy 05-24-2014 12:07 AM

I was actually gonna say no more tacos but then i realised that would be too unfair.

Trotskilicious 05-24-2014 12:17 AM

i just want to get back to where the ugly fat guy with no life or a date is making fun of the other ugly fat guy with no life or a date

Trotskilicious 05-24-2014 12:18 AM

see where i was coming from earlier, was as a fat man who doesn't have pretensions of being concerned about my bodily health and i was insulting senor fatty organic food eater

you're worried about cancer and your health maybe you should drop some lbs, kreator, you retard.

Trotskilicious 05-24-2014 12:18 AM

like where do you find the organic double cheeseburgers with chili cheese fries in chicago, kreator, i'd like to know where you go to eat your organic fried chicken and donut holes