Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Indepent Record Store - Atomic Records (Pisces Iscariot Connection) Whines About SP (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=145604)

theghostchild 07-11-2007 01:28 PM

Indepent Record Store - Atomic Records (Pisces Iscariot Connection) Whines About SP

Many of you may have seen Billy's Atomic Records tshirt, which he is wearing inside the Pisces Iscariot book. Atomic Records, located on Locust St in Milwaukee is a nice little Independent Record store...but also has the snooty/hipper than thou attitude. SP even played an acoustic instore show back in the Gish era. Anyways, I receive a weekly email from them listing the new releases. Upon receiving the e-mail, I had a difficult time finding the Smashing Pumpkins even listed.

Well, I did find SP listed...at THE BOTTOM of the list of new releases...under almost 50 OTHER RELEASES Why? Here is what whiny Atomic had to say....

"Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist CD/Special Edition CD (Reprise)
Once upon a time, Atomic Records practically revolved around Smashing Pumpkins. This here release isn't really Smashing Pumpkins, at least not any version of the band that we recognize. And their efforts to market this release (i.e. rip off the fans and indie stores ) make us gag. That said, we will still stock it out of some misguided sense of tradition and as a service to our customers who are still able to handle Billy's whiny bray."

I generally like this shop, but I had to disagree with outright bitching...but I did email them back saying...

To [email protected]:
"I just wanted to state that I think your words regarding the Smashing Pumpkins and Billy Corgan are a bit harsh. I am well aware of SP's history, but bashing them for not giving independents an exclusive is not the way to go about it! Because of your comments, I will purchase it elsewhere."

I didn't want to be an asshole...but I also wanted them too know bitching about not getting an exclusive is not the way to go about things....your a fucking independent ....take the business you can get!

vitaldust 07-11-2007 01:37 PM

indie is bullshit
hipster is bullshit

zeitgeist = lie burning

Pmack 07-11-2007 02:12 PM

What, you don't think they have a valid point? Atomic Records supported the Pumpkins when they were nobody, and a decade down the road, they are rewarded by being offered the opportunity to sell a version of the album without bonus tracks.

I welcome the announcement of the Best Buy acoustic show.

if there is a llama 07-11-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmack
What, you don't think they have a valid point? Atomic Records supported the Pumpkins when they were nobody, and a decade down the road, they are rewarded by being offered the opportunity to sell a version of the album without bonus tracks.

Billy obviously gave them some free press in return, didn't he?

I'd like to see a list of artists which have never given any exclusive tracks (or celebrity playlists) to iTunes or any major chain.

if there is a llama 07-11-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmack

Oh yeah. I got to meet the Pumpkins at a signing in a Best Buy on the Resume the Pose tour (before Machina was released). That good enough for you?

theghostchild 07-11-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciGarki
they're pathetic for wanting a hand out. corgan probably did more for them then they did for him, after its all said and done. fuck that store and fuck their entitlement attitude.

Yeah..this is my point...the Pumpkins, ie, Billy, has done more for this record shop than they have done for them ..and this one time, they are not getting a free handout. I am not pro-corporate America by any means...and I support the independents, but expecting and bitching about it, in a customer newsletter is the wrong way of addressing the subject.

I just found it disappointing on their part.

runnersdialzero 07-11-2007 03:25 PM

that store is just turning it around for even more sp related free press. weak. my local indie store stopped listing it 2 weeks prior... i took it as some sort of dis in their direction.

Heat6Jones 07-11-2007 03:36 PM

Major chains are more accessible to a majority of fans. One can easily say that by working through major retailers, Billy is putting fans first.

porcelina56 07-11-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by if there is a llama
Oh yeah. I got to meet the Pumpkins at a signing in a Best Buy on the Resume the Pose tour (before Machina was released). That good enough for you?

Ha, me too... got to meet them at the Best Buy in North Olmsted, OH. I was fresh out of college and had to work that day. I got a buddy of mine to agree to stand in line for me all day and get me a wristband in return for a six pack. Not a bad trade :)

The Trashbirds 07-11-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

"Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist CD/Special Edition CD (Reprise)
Once upon a time, Atomic Records practically revolved around Smashing Pumpkins. This here release isn't really Smashing Pumpkins, at least not any version of the band that we recognize. And their efforts to market this release (i.e. rip off the fans and indie stores ) make us gag. That said, we will still stock it out of some misguided sense of tradition and as a service to our customers who are still able to handle Billy's whiny bray."

of SP's history, but bashing them for not giving independents an exclusive is not the way to go about it! Because of your comments, I will purchase it elsewhere."[/i]
Translate: "Boo hoo! Best Buy is putting us out of business and its all Billy's fault!!! Why couldn't WE stock an album with a bonus track? I hate Billy Corgan. The new Smashing Pumpkins don't count!"

Well, I guess its a good thing that they aren't the arbiters of what is and isn't the Smashing Pumpkins. Those self-righteous ass clowns can go fuck themselves.

theghostchild 07-11-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Trashbirds
Translate: "Boo hoo! Best Buy is putting us out of business and its all Billy's fault!!! Why couldn't WE stock an album with a bonus track? I hate Billy Corgan. The new Smashing Pumpkins don't count!"

Well, I guess its a good thing that they aren't the arbiters of what is and isn't the Smashing Pumpkins. Those self-righteous ass clowns can go fuck themselves.

Hahahahaha, exactly!

homechicago 07-11-2007 09:46 PM

why are indie stores using the spotlight to show how pretentious they can be? how does that help business? i'm supposed to be sad if atomic shutters it's doors for taking a stance against zeitgeist to impress some hipster wearing an oddly colored chappeau? sp PLAYED there and they bitch? whatever.

nanowerx 07-11-2007 09:50 PM

You know, if every store got a "bonus" track.....well it wouldnt be all that "bonus-y"

TuralyonW3 07-11-2007 09:52 PM

what the fuck does his "whiny bray" have to do with not having the original members and not giving indie stores an exclusive. lol.

Pretzel Logic 07-11-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaldust
indie is bullshit
hipster is bullshit

zeitgeist = lie burning

qft

homechicago 07-11-2007 09:56 PM

...and furthermore, indie stores would all want their own individual packaging, no? wouldn't they be more credibly indie by NOT succumbing to the smattering of exclusives?

i've never really thought so much about the snottiness of indie stores (just kinda ignored it because of the good varied selections) unitl now.

Travis_Wright 07-11-2007 10:02 PM

who is going to pay high prices at indie stores anyway?? indie stores rip off americans, that's why they are dying and that's why they can go fuck themselves. i went to our local record exchange last week and the new releases were $15.99.... i mean come the fuck on... they only have 3 employees so there is no need to jack the fucking prices up that much.

douche bags.

null123 07-11-2007 10:04 PM

everybody says it like they're the first ones to think it. "wow guys like this isn't the Smashing Pumpkins really if you really think about it, you know..."

null123 07-11-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis_Wright
who is going to pay high prices at indie stores anyway?? indie stores rip off americans, that's why they are dying and that's why they can go fuck themselves. i went to our local record exchange last week and the new releases were $15.99.... i mean come the fuck on... they only have 3 employees so there is no need to jack the fucking prices up that much.

douche bags.

Americans are willing to sacrifice integrity to save $3, that's why the indie store is dying.

Dogfighter28 07-11-2007 10:10 PM

I routinely buy CD's for around 12 bucks at my local store. They take of 2 dollars if you special order through myspace. Also, if you special order through the store you get 10% off. They have a CD of the week that is half price each week. There are good indie stores, so don't call them douchebags. Some of them set prices low yet are striving to just keep their heads above the financial waters.

Travis_Wright 07-11-2007 10:11 PM

integrity has nothing to do with money

homechicago 07-11-2007 10:12 PM

i don't think indie stores are ripping off customers because they don't have corporate sugar daddies to pay rent and cover payroll. i do however think it's dumb business to NOT stock music from a band that is likely to move merchandise. i'm disappointed in reckless and atomic (pretty sure i've been there at least once)

17 Seconds 07-11-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis_Wright

douche bags.

The reason why they are dying is because the mega stores price the cds at such a razor-thin margin to get customers into the store with the hope that they will buy other items. The record stores only have records to sell, thus the margin has to be higher.

The record stores aren't ripping anyone off -- they just aren't "giving" it away.

nanowerx 07-11-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homechicago
...and furthermore, indie stores would all want their own individual packaging, no? wouldn't they be more credibly indie by NOT succumbing to the smattering of exclusives?

i've never really thought so much about the snottiness of indie stores (just kinda ignored it because of the good varied selections) unitl now.

I even make it a point to normally goto local indie record shops when I buy music......sure it costs a little more, but I look at it as supporting my community over a conglomerate. Well, nice to see how those stores really feel about customers such as myself. Its shit like this that is driving the indie store in obscurity.....not Billy Corgan.

Really, as much good as Billy has done for the small timers and charities, he sure does come off as satan to some people

homechicago 07-11-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanowerx
I even make it a point to normally goto local indie record shops when I buy music......sure it costs a little more, but I look at it as supporting my community over a conglomerate. Well, nice to see how those stores really feel about customers such as myself. Its shit like this that is driving the indie store in obscurity.....not Billy Corgan.

Really, as much good as Billy has done for the small timers and charities, he sure does come off as satan to some people

amen (wait, was that too religious?)

jjbjjbjjb 07-11-2007 10:21 PM

My feeling is that where there once was a mutually respectful and mutually beneficial relationship between the Pumpkins and the indie stores, those days are long gone. The music snobs who run the vast majority of indie stores -- who DON'T really need (or supposedly care that much about) more money, by the way -- have loved to hate Billy for a decade or more now, even as they made money all along by selling his records. It's probably past time they were shuffled to the back of the gravy train.

nanowerx 07-11-2007 10:33 PM

You know, now that I think about it, I dont remember any local indie stores around here (redundant?) heavily promoting the Pumpkins after they fell off the MCIS wave

so fuck 'em

Nate the Grate 07-11-2007 10:38 PM

My local indie store had tons of the special edition and the regular album available. And the guy was nice when he rang me up.

Sounds like your places care more about their indie aesthetic than they do about serving customers.

Pmack 07-11-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb
The music snobs who run the vast majority of indie stores -- who DON'T really need (or supposedly care that much about) more money,

The dork behind the counter may not care about more money, but I assure you, the owner who has to pay the rent and pay said dork certainly cares about more money.

if there is a llama 07-11-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porcelina56
Ha, me too... got to meet them at the Best Buy in North Olmsted, OH. I was fresh out of college and had to work that day. I got a buddy of mine to agree to stand in line for me all day and get me a wristband in return for a six pack. Not a bad trade :)

That's really funny. I was at that same one. I skipped high school to wait overnight.