Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Deftones (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187012)

Shadaloo 10-02-2020 01:28 AM

Honestly, the production on Gore is just part of what makes it a really average record.

Ohms made me revisit it, and while it's a bit better than I remember, it just fucking falls off hard halfway through and then spends like 3 songs ending.

Prayers/Triangles is great, better than I remember it. No complaints.
Acid Hologram is good, but that rewinding sample at the end is cheesy and unnecessary.
Doomed User's fucking great
Same with Geometric Headdress
Hearts, Wires - standout track on the album. Best one for my money.
Pittura Infamante - aaaaand fucking terrible
Xenon - Listenable but repetitive as all fuck. There's like half a song here.
(L)Mirl - Starts embarrassingly, gets better as it goes on.
Gore - back on track. Great lyrics. Feels like it was supposed to be a closer, but okay, let's keep going, why not
Phantom Bride - Beautiful and lyrics anyone who's spent time closed off to the world can relate to...but what the fuck is with the last near-minute? It's like they just came on a cool riff, didn't know what to do with it, and tacked it on to the end. Has no business being there.
Rubicon - Okay, sure, one more, I guess. Good song, but ultimately one too many

It is the Zeitgeist of the Deftones discography: Not as bad as people make it out to be and an apologist's wet dream. Not remotely in the same league as anything up to Diamond Eyes.

Ohms is good, but I'll give Gore one thing over it, it's much more adventrous. They'll be calling it a safe record in the future.

Shadaloo 10-02-2020 01:30 AM

Also fuck Pitchfork Milk Hotel

Joey Goldberg 10-02-2020 11:24 AM

reading that rundown of Gore actually reminded me of all the stuff i do like about it (regardless of if Shad actually mentioned those things or not) for example Rubicon is a great song, probably my fav off the album, & for a minute i kinda forgot it existed!

anyway, i gotta listen to the new one some more

ninsp 10-02-2020 03:53 PM

Just relistened to Gore, been marathoning their records from the start.

Around the Fur, White Pony and ST are sooooooo fuckin good.
Gore was better than I remember, the song Gore is fucking massive.

ninsp 10-02-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561730)
That's pretty much what I'd say about both records.

The riffs tagged on to the end of songs is one of my favourite things they do. I love it how they just drive a song home by playing the same thing over and over again. But it doesn't work so well on Phantom Bride!

I really don't get all the love for Diamond Eyes. To me it doesn't have all the things that make, for me what is the magical triumvirate of Self Titled, SNW and KNY so special. It's comparatively simple album, melodically, musically and arrangement wise and I'm pretty sure it's not that much of a grower. I've given it four listens and it's not doing it for me.

I love White Pony, but it's like the hit parade - couldn't listen to it three times in a week; the depth just isn't there.

I've not listened to the first two in 15 years. I like them, but I just think the band changed so much with White Pony to the point that I wouldn't think of those as albums by the same band. Kind of like Gish for me. I love Gish, but it doesn't really have anything I'd say was synonymous with what made the Pumpkins so magical. No matter how dreadful some of the new sp is, there is still the odd, very rare glint of those things in their last five releases.

I have garbage opinions on a lot of things. But you take the cake. Go back to the hole you came from.

Joey Goldberg 10-02-2020 04:24 PM

where then, Tony Fantano lol?

i'm with ninsp here, get fucked

ninsp 10-02-2020 04:27 PM

haha Deftones songs only go brrr

ninsp 10-02-2020 04:33 PM

The reason I think so highly of Ohms and it hasn’t worn off at all is because this is the perfect combination of all of their sounds and eras. It literally hits every single era and combines it into a mature mix of the exact sound that is the fucking Deftones. I just don’t understand how a Deftones fan can’t be a slobbering fanboy of this album because it has everything. It’s brutal, it’s melodic, it’s soft, it’s crunchy, it’s nu-metal, it’s new wave, it flows as an album...wtf else could you want from a Deftones album?

I mean Carpenter has the best guitar sound he’s ever had on this album

ninsp 10-02-2020 04:35 PM

Plus the production is fucking sexy for the first time since ST

houseofglass11 10-02-2020 05:00 PM

The production of Gore was fine.

Also Koi No Yokan had fkn ca$h money production so y’all can get bent

ninsp 10-02-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofglass11 (Post 4561773)
The production of Gore was fine.

Also Koi No Yokan had fkn ca$h money production so y’all can get bent

Chino sounds like he’s screaming through a tin can

Gore is a lot like Zeitgeist because they both have garbage metallic trash production

ninsp 10-02-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561762)
Oh, and by the way, if you like critical reviews so much, I have plenty of press to back that up. But not from Pitchfork, so maybe it's not relevant.

It has an 89 on Metacritic
The only negative review is the Guardian and after reading the review I don’t think they even listened to it

ninsp 10-02-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561761)
Sorry, or boys. Very archaic of me to assume you're straight and male.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561777)
I was called the best alt rock song writer in 10 years by Vice. Is Vice cool enough fog you?

Some press, not including that for our unanimously 5* reviewed new album: www.themicrodance.com/press

Cool

ninsp 10-02-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561779)
We don't have a Metacritic score though because we've played seven gigs in the five years and have sold about 12 copies of both albums. Ha!

With album artwork like that I’m not surprised

houseofglass11 10-02-2020 06:10 PM

Have to agree that font used for the album title is unacceptable

ninsp 10-02-2020 06:24 PM

I just blasted Ohms on vinyl at concert level in my house, man I have no idea how a Deftones fan can’t absolutely love this album

ninsp 10-02-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatvegetable (Post 4561787)
Because its Deftones by numbers. The verses are lazy and all sound the same. The distorted guitar tones aren't a patch on their previous stuff, they sound like shitty 80s British high gain. And they've put much, much, much better music out.

It's a good album, but not a good Deftones album.

Totally objective.

Listen to The Microdance's Our Love Noire. Album of the year objectively.

lmao

MyKeyZ 10-02-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninsp (Post 4561783)
I just blasted Ohms on vinyl at concert level in my house, man I have no idea how a Deftones fan can’t absolutely love this album

I don't know, it's just nothing really new. It has elements of all the stuff I love from Deftones, but it was all done previously and it was done better the first time. I don't hate it, but it's nothing groundbreaking. It's just Deftones. Just sounds like them repeating themselves. I've listened to it a few times and I can only really remember 2 or 3 tracks from it. I'm just not getting a "wow" feeling from it.

Gore is not their Zeitgeist. Gore is their Adore. And all the haters years from now are gonna be like, "Actually, Gore is pretty good." Just like the folks who hated on Saturday Night Wrist and now praise it. Gore is such a triumphant record. I think that's why I love it. Ohms is kinda glum. I hear the riffs, but they just sound a bit same old been there, done that. I kinda wish they pushed the synths even more. Those were the elements I dug from it. Like I really dug Urantia, but then it kinda just keeps repeating itself. There were moments in songs, a riff would come in and I'd think, "Oh, it would've been better if they did this over it," but the riff just repeats itself and never evolves. With some extra layers, extra guitars, could, make it more interesting. I had a lot of that, "Oh, I wish they kinda did this with that riff" or "A lead guitar over that would take it to another level." But what is there just feels more simple and not as exciting.

Played my girl Ohms for the first time the other day and she was way more harsher on it than me. She wasn't too thrilled. She said it was kinda meh. That it all kinda just bled together and was a watered down version of what they've already done. She got into them around White Pony and was a fan of self titled. She liked Urantia though. She said Gore is more memorable.

I want to love it. I just feel blah from it. Has Deftones ever released a "bad" album? No.

Ohms is a 6.8 out of 10 for me. Perhaps it'll change over time. It sadly wasn't love at first sight.

And if wanna talk about bad production, the award goes to Adrenaline. It sounds like someone cranked the treble and forgot about all the other frequencies. Reminds me of listening to an old cassette tape.

ninsp 10-03-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKeyZ (Post 4561797)
I don't know, it's just nothing really new. It has elements of all the stuff I love from Deftones, but it was all done previously and it was done better the first time. I don't hate it, but it's nothing groundbreaking. It's just Deftones. Just sounds like them repeating themselves. I've listened to it a few times and I can only really remember 2 or 3 tracks from it. I'm just not getting a "wow" feeling from it.

Gore is not their Zeitgeist. Gore is their Adore. And all the haters years from now are gonna be like, "Actually, Gore is pretty good." Just like the folks who hated on Saturday Night Wrist and now praise it. Gore is such a triumphant record. I think that's why I love it. Ohms is kinda glum. I hear the riffs, but they just sound a bit same old been there, done that. I kinda wish they pushed the synths even more. Those were the elements I dug from it. Like I really dug Urantia, but then it kinda just keeps repeating itself. There were moments in songs, a riff would come in and I'd think, "Oh, it would've been better if they did this over it," but the riff just repeats itself and never evolves. With some extra layers, extra guitars, could, make it more interesting. I had a lot of that, "Oh, I wish they kinda did this with that riff" or "A lead guitar over that would take it to another level." But what is there just feels more simple and not as exciting.

Played my girl Ohms for the first time the other day and she was way more harsher on it than me. She wasn't too thrilled. She said it was kinda meh. That it all kinda just bled together and was a watered down version of what they've already done. She got into them around White Pony and was a fan of self titled. She liked Urantia though. She said Gore is more memorable.

I want to love it. I just feel blah from it. Has Deftones ever released a "bad" album? No.

Ohms is a 6.8 out of 10 for me. Perhaps it'll change over time. It sadly wasn't love at first sight.

And if wanna talk about bad production, the award goes to Adrenaline. It sounds like someone cranked the treble and forgot about all the other frequencies. Reminds me of listening to an old cassette tape.

Gore is terrible, the band hates it even. It was rushed and it shows. Bad production. Those are just facts.

houseofglass11 10-03-2020 04:06 PM

Quit spouting off your opinion as fact. Gore is a great album and there’s plenty of people who like it. The only one in the band who didn’t like it was Stef because he was being a little bitch. Prayers/Triangles is one of their best singles ever.

MyKeyZ 10-03-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninsp (Post 4561811)
Gore is terrible, the band hates it even. It was rushed and it shows. Bad production. Those are just facts.

Chino hated and bashed Saturday Night Wrist. He still talked shit about it in 2016. So I could give a shit what Chino thinks is a crappy album. And Stef being a little bitch. "Wah, there's no riffs." Now we get riffs from Stef and he gives us generic riffs on Ohms.

Bad production? I guess Mellon Collie had shit production in your opinion then? Because Mellon Collie had many moments of being a muddy mess and drums buried in a mix.

I think 2020 has been such a crazy and shitty year for people that they're desperate for something familiar. Something safe and unchallenging to feel like they have some sense of normalcy. Hence praising an album that sounds exactly like a generic Deftones album with stuff we've heard before. They're repeating themselves.

You have a very loud minority of Gore haters forcing Chino to have to bash the album. Just like the same folks who bashed SNW and Chino suddenly hated it. What I've learned from all this, Chino needs to grow a backbone, Stef's riffs are just ok and didn't give anything new, and people will run to the familiar when the world is going insane. Ohms is their safety blanket.

Those are just facts.

Joey Goldberg 10-03-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninsp (Post 4561783)
I have no idea how a Deftones fan can’t absolutely love this album

it doesn't really make sense to me either. album is essentially them taking every stride & progression they've made since Chi passed away & bringing it back to their very first producer for something that's both a celebration of who they are now & who they were then. great fucking record for anyone who's actually liked the band's output post-SNW & hasn't just been hanging on for some sort of unsatisfiable nostalgia fest