Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guitar Playing and gear thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181491)

teh b0lly!!1 03-04-2016 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4250163)
I'm always too lazy to do things like change strings, too. It's very occasional that I bother.

I'm also too lazy to change tunings. A lot of the time my guitar is in Eb, and if a song I wanna play is tuned to E, I'll just play it a half-step down. If I want to play along to a track because I'm learning some songs, I'll just look for songs in the tuning my guitar is already in instead of tuning it again.

I tend to write songs in whatever tuning my guitar is already in (like, if its tuned to C because I was playing some doom song, I'm just like, "eh, this song I write will also be tuned to C"). I know better musicians know their vocal range and write their songs to accommodate them, but I don't bother with that shit and I just leave the song in whatever key I first happened to write it in.

i think lots of people may be like this.
i certainly am. and what's worse, is that lately i've been writing a lot of songs (which is great for me) but almost each and every one of them is in a different tuning so i can't really revisit them unless i'm reeeeally in the mood to make it happen.

i suspect the upside of this, though, is refraining from over working songs until you get fucking sick of them and never complete them

Disco King 03-04-2016 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4250240)
edit I got this pedal board set up but now I can't be bothered to resize the picture so it isn't gigantic

CH-1 Super Chorus is probably my favorite pedal

I've been meaning to get a chorus. Not the sort of effect I use the most often, but I'm sort of a completist and I feel like its good to have all your bases covered for when inspiration hits and you find a use for them. I kind of aim to have at least one of every (basic) sort of effect.

Do you have a flanger? I feel like you would like flangers. I like flangers.

There's a bit of overlap between a flanger and a chorus, anyway. You can kind of use a flanger in a chorus-like way if you have a short delay time, but it also allows you to go crazier so that the whooshing comes in.

StillBecomingApart 03-04-2016 07:23 AM

I have this one http://www.tcelectronic.com/corona-mini-chorus/ and it's very very good. TonePrint technology is awesome.

Elphenor 03-04-2016 11:50 AM

Adjusting my tuning to fit my voice is something I need to figure out

Disco King 03-04-2016 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4250262)
i think lots of people may be like this.
i certainly am. and what's worse, is that lately i've been writing a lot of songs (which is great for me) but almost each and every one of them is in a different tuning so i can't really revisit them unless i'm reeeeally in the mood to make it happen.

i suspect the upside of this, though, is refraining from over working songs until you get fucking sick of them and never complete them

I never complete songs either way anyhow. In fact, I feel like it was a bit of an inaccuracy when I referred to myself "writing songs."

Elphenor 03-10-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4250264)
I've been meaning to get a chorus. Not the sort of effect I use the most often, but I'm sort of a completist and I feel like its good to have all your bases covered for when inspiration hits and you find a use for them. I kind of aim to have at least one of every (basic) sort of effect.

Do you have a flanger? I feel like you would like flangers. I like flangers.

There's a bit of overlap between a flanger and a chorus, anyway. You can kind of use a flanger in a chorus-like way if you have a short delay time, but it also allows you to go crazier so that the whooshing comes in.

Yeah basically I use the Chrorus to tastefully smooth out the edges on the jagged funk chords I play

The Flanger I have set to max setting and just go crazy with it

redbreegull 03-12-2016 01:58 PM

Hey girls and guys with acoustics

so I played this really, really, REALLY nice sounding Taylor, a 214CE I believe. It's like 900 bucks and the tone is so warm and gentle, yet it has perfect attack. Really balanced sounding, and projects almost like it's plugged in. Anyway, so then I figured out that it has a fucking laminate back. My old acoustic was solid wood and it was cheaper. The sales guy tried to convince me that the laminate backing actually is what makes the projection and attack so perfectly balanced but I am unconvinced. Conventional wisdom tells me no one should buy a 900 dollar guitar without a solid back. What do you d00dz think? Is this a legit concern or is the solid wood obsession a pretentious purists thing?

crabshack 03-12-2016 02:10 PM

Hey RBG are you any good at fingerpicking? I'm trying to learn the motor skills to do it fluidly. Any tips? I can do a 5-2-3 (thumb, middle, index) pretty well and am trying to learn 5-2-4-3 (thumb, middle, thumb, index), those numbers being the strings.

Disco King 03-12-2016 04:01 PM

I know nothing when it comes to guitar quality and sound. I just buy cheap used shit from Craigslist and as long as it isn't a suspicious $40 "First Act" or "Crescent" guitar, I'll take it.

Elphenor 03-12-2016 04:35 PM

Punk Rock

redbreegull 03-12-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabshack (Post 4251486)
Hey RBG are you any good at fingerpicking? I'm trying to learn the motor skills to do it fluidly. Any tips? I can do a 5-2-3 (thumb, middle, index) pretty well and am trying to learn 5-2-4-3 (thumb, middle, thumb, index), those numbers being the strings.

I do some fingerpicking but I'm probably not the best guy to ask for any sort of guitar advice cause I've learned everything kind of just over many years through my own trial and error and limited actual teaching or proper learning. I mostly just fingerpick with thumb and first two fingers which I know is not "correct" but it sounds fine. I think what you call 5-2-3 is how you pick Tonight, Tonight, which was my introduction to fingerpicking.

one of my biggest influences is Paul Simon, and his fingerpicking is all over the place. sometimes his picking pattern changes chord to chord and he works in tons of little melodies within the pattern. It becomes intuitive after awhile, but it's hard to explain how. I'm sorry I can't give better advice. Just learn a lot of fingerpicking songs, take them slow, and pay attention to how your different fingers perform different functions (your thumb kind of keeps a bass line in a lot of fingerpicking for example). If you're fairly new to fingerpicking, one song I might suggest is the original version of Landslide. The chords are very simple but the picking will give your hand a good work out. Your thumb will be very active and you'll get a good cramp there for sure. There's probably a name for different kinds of fingerpicking, but this song also is a good example of something I like a lot, which is that in each measure your fingers start on the outside (highest and lowest) strings and then work their way into the middle.

crabshack 03-12-2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4251518)
It becomes intuitive after awhile, but it's hard to explain how.
(your thumb kind of keeps a bass line in a lot of fingerpicking for example).

Yea this is what everyone says. I'm anxious to be able to pull of hammer-ons and stuff like that within the patterns, like how you mentioned Paul Simon does. Dylan does that too. I just keep mindlessly practicing over chord changes while watching TV.

redbreegull 03-12-2016 08:52 PM

yeah I'm sorry to just repeat the same dumb thing everyone else says, I know how frustrating that is. This might seem incredibly obvious but for some reason it wasn't to me for a long time: when you are practicing something you are having trouble with, isolate the exact thing you are getting tripped up on, and just do that thing over and over. Even if it's just one measure with a hammer on, just play that a fuck ton of times. Often a lot of players tend to hit a troublesome spot and jump back to the beginning of the verse or whatever, but I would break it into as small a piece as possible.

Hammer ons are about precision and strength and the only way to improve that is just to exercise your fingers by doing it over and over and over. When you start to get good at hammer ons, it kind of opens up this whole new economy of movement on the guitar because you can do much more with less work.

Elphenor 03-12-2016 09:00 PM

I remember when I first started playing I thought solos were played with all these complex scales you'd have to memorize

But it's really simple patterns played with a lot of tricks like hammer on and vibrato

buzzard 03-12-2016 10:09 PM

I think the Catalinbread dude died.

The Omega Concern 03-13-2016 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4245559)
I don't really understand how to play electric guitar anymore at all. I just always feel like my tone is shit and not what I am trying for at all. I have some pedals and I'm playing a nice strat through a nice Peavey tube amp. I dunno. Just never sounds good to me. Thank god for acoustic guitars I guess




ewwww...Peavey?

The Omega Concern 03-13-2016 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4251484)
Hey girls and guys with acoustics

so I played this really, really, REALLY nice sounding Taylor, a 214CE I believe. It's like 900 bucks and the tone is so warm and gentle, yet it has perfect attack. Really balanced sounding, and projects almost like it's plugged in. Anyway, so then I figured out that it has a fucking laminate back. My old acoustic was solid wood and it was cheaper. The sales guy tried to convince me that the laminate backing actually is what makes the projection and attack so perfectly balanced but I am unconvinced. Conventional wisdom tells me no one should buy a 900 dollar guitar without a solid back. What do you d00dz think? Is this a legit concern or is the solid wood obsession a pretentious purists thing?



I would guess the Harmony-Central forums and/or reviews might clear that up a bit. Taylor is a solid brand, that's a good start. All concerns are legitimate at $900.

The Omega Concern 03-13-2016 12:25 AM

My buddy Paul kinda messing around. He played in Act IV once with Analogue. I needed a soundcheck one day for this Q2HD handy-video recorder from Zcom. Very nice little recorder with an amazing mic. For open air recordings, nothing beats it for the price.




Disco King 03-13-2016 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4251557)
I remember when I first started playing I thought solos were played with all these complex scales you'd have to memorize

But it's really simple patterns played with a lot of tricks like hammer on and vibrato

Well it depends on the solo and what scale you wanna use, I suppose. A large chunk of rock and pop solos are built off the minor pentatonic scale, so a lot of people just kinda learn those patterns. If you want to build solos off of other scales, I suppose you'd learn those ones.

It's hard for me to memorize scale shapes, and sometimes I'll have them all down only to forget them again after a while of not playing. I mostly just play in modes of the pentatonic and major scales, but I've been planning on branching out to modes of the harmonic minor (similar to the natural minor, but with a sharpened 7th... the parallel major would have a sharpened fifth in comparison to the regular major scale), and then some cool exotic scales. I like the sound of when I screw around in exotic scales, but I haven't committed any of them to memory because I don't want to confuse myself while I'm still trying to memorize the basics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard (Post 4251565)
I think the Catalinbread dude died.

That's awful. I've never tried any of their pedals because I always stick to cheap stuff but a lot of them look good.

crabshack 03-13-2016 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4251585)
ewwww...Peavey?

Dogging Peavey is such an outdated tactic from the era of 'not fender or marshall' line of thinking.

crabshack 03-13-2016 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4251589)
My buddy Paul kinda messing around. He played in Act IV once with Analogue. I needed a soundcheck one day for this Q2HD handy-video recorder from Zcom. Very nice little recorder with an amazing mic. For open air recordings, nothing beats it for the price.




*Breaks into the same lick every single time after every pause*

The Omega Concern 03-13-2016 02:02 AM

DUDE...its a soundcheck. He'd been working on that riff at the time and since I was filming he wanted to flush it out in various modes. I posted it to emphasize this thing:



crabshack 03-13-2016 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4251585)
ewwww...Peavey?


The Omega Concern 03-13-2016 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabshack (Post 4251601)
Dogging Peavey is such an outdated tactic from the era of 'not fender or marshall' line of thinking.


It depends on what you're going for, but the proof is in the pudding. When they tried to expand their market share with a classic series a couple years back, they immediately dropped in price 30% within months. Nobody was going to buy a Peavey for 2 grand when you could get any number of much better amps for that price.

crabshack 03-13-2016 02:17 AM

Peavey has been favored by country musicians since the 70s. It might not be steroid rock but it's pretty stupid to dismiss the line.

crabshack 03-13-2016 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Omega Concern (Post 4251613)
It depends on what you're going for, but the proof is in the pudding. When they tried to expand their market share with a classic series a couple years back, they immediately dropped in price 30% within months. Nobody was going to buy a Peavey for 2 grand when you could get any number of much better amps for that price.

Good for any brand not bending to contemporary "standards"

redbreegull 03-13-2016 03:51 AM

yeah I play a lot of classic rock/country/folk type stuff so I thought the Peavey would be good. It's kind of brash sounding though and I have a lot of trouble getting it to cut through in a full band setting. I think I will sell it eventually and pick up a small Fender or something, there's just no reason I need a huge heavy amp anymore. I took it to my friend's apartment and almost died trying to get it through the lobby to the elevator

Elphenor 03-13-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4251594)
Well it depends on the solo and what scale you wanna use, I suppose. A large chunk of rock and pop solos are built off the minor pentatonic scale, so a lot of people just kinda learn those patterns. If you want to build solos off of other scales, I suppose you'd learn those ones.

It's hard for me to memorize scale shapes, and sometimes I'll have them all down only to forget them again after a while of not playing. I mostly just play in modes of the pentatonic and major scales, but I've been planning on branching out to modes of the harmonic minor (similar to the natural minor, but with a sharpened 7th... the parallel major would have a sharpened fifth in comparison to the regular major scale), and then some cool exotic scales. I like the sound of when I screw around in exotic scales, but I haven't committed any of them to memory because I don't want to confuse myself while I'm still trying to memorize the basics.

Well I mean I figured you'd have to switch between a bunch of scales or something when really most of the time you don't, and even an exotic scale pattern isn't that difficult to memorize it's more about learning what to do within that scale

Elphenor 03-13-2016 09:14 AM

I remember I learned the most prominent scale for Flamenco but it would take years to learn to play it properly, just knowing the notes isn't what makes it sound good

buzzard 03-13-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4251594)
That's awful. I've never tried any of their pedals because I always stick to cheap stuff but a lot of them look good.

I believe we had already discussed this some years ago, but I do have the Semaphore and have always enjoyed it. Even without dialing in a tremelo effect, I've liked having it somewhere along the chain for a boost and to push through a sort of clarity when it's been preceded by a bunch of other pedals that have taken little chips out of the tone.

It was originally purchased almost purely for a love of the following song, though I'm actually not aware of whether the band used that specific pedal.



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2020