Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   SP / Deftones / Trail of Dead (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=146196)

Baalzevuv 07-16-2007 11:46 AM

SP / Deftones / Trail of Dead

Smashing Pumpkins, Trail of Dead and the Deftones seem to be following the same pattern to their album releases / quality. I use these bands as an example, because really, their styles are all very similar.

Gish / Adrenaline / Debut - Each a good listen. Little, yellow, different.
SD / Fur / Madonna - Typically the fan favorites. All three fantastic albums.
MCIS / White Pony / Source Tags - The breakout albums. Typically critics' favorites, and for good reason.
Adore / Self Titled / World's Apart - Fans enjoy all three, but the consensus is they much prefer the older albums.
Machina / Saturday / So Divided - All three are Meh.

Now we have Zeitgiest. K, wtf. Does this mean the next two releases for Deftones and Trail of Dead are going to suck as badly as this???

I think record companies force shitty album releases for some sinister reason. Thoughts?

Dogfighter28 07-16-2007 01:03 PM

Trail of Dead doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those bands, really

Caine Walker 07-16-2007 01:12 PM

and what fans enjoyed World's Apart? that was a fucking terrible record.

Rockin' Cherub 07-16-2007 01:18 PM

all these bands are nothing alike. you might be right with that album by album comparison. from a fan's standpoint.

but god do i hate the deftones

Netphorian Gadabout 07-16-2007 01:58 PM

I think this is a real common archetype you can apply to hundreds of bands. The early stuff > the fan favorite > the popular record > all downhill from there. It's really very common.

Catherine Wheel 07-16-2007 02:19 PM

Saturday Night Wrist is a great album. much better than Self Titled. Self Titled is so one-dimensional and harsh. Its hard for me to listen to all the way through. It's a very ugly album in my opinion. Saturday Night Wrist is a return to form.

fluxequalsrad 07-16-2007 02:21 PM

Madonna = buzz.

Catherine Wheel 07-16-2007 02:33 PM

This pattern works better with Queens of the Stone Age.

Self Titled - a good listen but not great as things to come

Rated R - a big step up in quality / fan favorite

Songs For The Deaf - breakout album / critics favorite

Lullabies - a solid effort but fans prefer the older records

Era Vulgaris - a not so great album / starting to fall off

Catherine Wheel 07-16-2007 02:41 PM

Rated R has to be the best rock album of this decade.

Rockin' Cherub 07-16-2007 02:42 PM

i'd say

self titled
r
era vulgaris
lullabies
songs for the deaf

Caine Walker 07-16-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockLobster
the best song on era vulgaris is the bonus track era vulgaris. what is your favourite on this album?

sick, sick, sick

Caine Walker 07-16-2007 02:56 PM

then i'm immune, baby. i also haven't listened to this album in a while.

Rockin' Cherub 07-16-2007 03:10 PM

i've listened to it once or twice and thought it was pretty fresh for a qotsa record. i can't remember what tracks i particularly enjoyed.

Baalzevuv 07-16-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel
Saturday Night Wrist is a great album. much better than Self Titled. Self Titled is so one-dimensional and harsh. Its hard for me to listen to all the way through. It's a very ugly album in my opinion. Saturday Night Wrist is a return to form.

Self Titled has Hexagram and Minerva on it :)

Although, Rats! and Mein are pretty sweet. But then Pink Cellphone fucking ruins everything, so there, Self Titled is better.

Shapan 07-16-2007 04:04 PM

qotsa just produces consistently good albums

how long until a radiohead/sp parallel is dissected cunningly

apetulantfrenzy 07-16-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

SNW > zeitgeist

This is prob true.

Eem 07-16-2007 11:38 PM

Saturday Night Wrist is an absolutely phenomenal album. Cherry Waves is one of the best songs in Deftones' catalog.

And it's also much better than Zeitgeist, and I don't even think Zeitgeist is that bad.

celluloid_love 07-16-2007 11:41 PM

yeah boring / boring / boring

agenda suicide 07-17-2007 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caine Walker
and what fans enjoyed World's Apart? that was a fucking terrible record.

I know plenty of people who liked it, myself *******d :)

Caine Walker 07-17-2007 10:01 AM

out of simple curiousity, can you explain why? because i thought the lyrics were insufferable, the songs themselves uninspired, and the record as a whole was just a complete and total misfire.

Eulogy 07-18-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

and that is why british people have bad teeth. Amen

Hot carling. I turned it into a verb.

Hot Carling Academy. It's the school where you go to learn how to buttfuck. They don't have blowjobs there because they're uncircumcised and that is just disgusting. So they have to buttfuck, which is also disgusting because it traps all the germs, and the poop, and the buttfucking residue.

that's from memory.

i kind of like the tune if i just ignore the words. self-titled and snw are both awesome, if you ask me.

Nidhogg 07-18-2007 05:28 PM

That rant at the end of Pink Cellphone is great. One of my favorite moments on the album, actually.

Nidhogg 07-18-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

SNW > self titled

SNW > zeitgeist

Good call.

Kilredstar30 07-18-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalzevuv
Self Titled has Hexagram and Minerva on it :)

Although, Rats! and Mein are pretty sweet. But then Pink Cellphone fucking ruins everything, so there, Self Titled is better.

Annie and her band Giant Drag suck taint (except for Micah the person with actual talent probably why he left). Pink Cellphone was a waste on SNW. I saw the Deftones live in L.A. and Annie came out and same the background vocals for Knife Party. She absolutely butchered the song.