Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OJ sleeping easy tonight because Norm Macdonald is IN HELL (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=188648)

topleybird 09-14-2021 03:36 PM

OJ sleeping easy tonight because Norm Macdonald is IN HELL

GodfuckingDAMN it

ninsp 09-14-2021 03:59 PM

Fucking tragic

BlissedandGone2 09-14-2021 05:24 PM

what a legend. damn.

topleybird 09-14-2021 06:08 PM

MyOneAndOnly 09-14-2021 06:37 PM

The guy defended Louis CK, Rosanne, and just about every other sexist, racist monster in the comedy industry.

He once called the word cisgender a term "for marginalizing normal people"

I wish he could have spent another 9 years in terrible cancer agony

MyOneAndOnly 09-14-2021 06:38 PM

Fuck that fucking fucker

Toast 09-14-2021 08:59 PM

"I'm pretty sure when the patient dies, the cancer dies. So that's not a loss, that's a draw."
-Norm MacDonald

RIP Norm :(

Joey Goldberg 09-15-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly (Post 4583631)
The guy defended Louis CK, Rosanne, and just about every other sexist, racist monster in the comedy industry.

holy shit give it a fucking rest already will you

Joey Goldberg 09-15-2021 01:15 PM

anyway, RIP

one of the funniest people of the past 3 decades, at least

topleybird 09-15-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

You can kind of tell when I stopped being aware of what he was up to based on the clips I posted; honestly not surprised he went on to espouse some, uh, views

Appreciate the info; I think it's important to include the good and bad when weighing a soul and I hadn't yet looked into the bad in this case

BlissedandGone2 09-15-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topleybird (Post 4583651)
You can kind of tell when I stopped being aware of what he was up to based on the clips I posted; honestly not surprised he went on to espouse some, uh, views

Appreciate the info; I think it's important to include the good and bad when weighing a soul and I hadn't yet looked into the bad in this case

just my take, but in the grand scheme of things his bad moments were clearly part of his always-contrarian persona than any actual weighty social opinions. him being tone deaf in that way was a big part of his comedy so i never felt it was hard to take his schtick with a grain of salt. but i do get why he pissed some people off.

topleybird 09-15-2021 06:02 PM

If you're pretending to be an asshole 100% of the time you're in public, then a) at some point you're no longer pretending and b) I think you can reasonably expect people to think of you as an asshole

We're all doing a character around other people

BlissedandGone2 09-15-2021 06:54 PM

Yeah, sure, that's fair, but I don't really think he was pretending or being an asshole 100% of the time by most accounts? He seemed like a sweet guy that most people around him loved most of the time. I obviously didn't know him personally so could be absolutely wrong.

I was really just just meaning to say people's adverse response to the examples of him being a dick hasn't weighed 50/50 for me in the scheme of things. Totally fair if it does for others or crosses a line beyond that.

Shallowed 09-15-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg (Post 4583648)
holy shit give it a fucking rest already will you

at least Norm will be giving it a rest now

TuralyonW3 09-15-2021 08:47 PM

So fucking sad. He was my favorite living comedian.

Disco King 09-15-2021 08:55 PM

That is sad. He faces much stiffer competition in the race for "favourite dead comedian."

paranoid 09-15-2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

i'm hard pressed to find a celebrity who hasn't said or done shitty things at some point in their lives or careers. i certainly disagree with his statements as mentioned above, but i still loved his comedy and some of his other points of view that i did agree with.

but wishing another 9 years of cancer agony on him? fuck off with that shit. gross. shame! shame!

topleybird 09-16-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlissedandGone2 (Post 4583659)
Yeah, sure, that's fair, but I don't really think he was pretending or being an asshole 100% of the time by most accounts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlissedandGone2 (Post 4583652)
his always-contrarian persona

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlissedandGone2 (Post 4583652)
tone deaf

Tomato, tomato

I do get the impression he was a sweet guy to most people, obviously well-loved in the comedy community, and it's fair to weigh that against the shitty things he's said/thought

I also wonder if wishing him nine additional years of agony is a bit much, but then again, I was never the target of his comments, so it's not my place to judge how MyOneAndOnly feels about it

Joey Goldberg 09-16-2021 03:00 PM

yeah, let's wish a guy nine more years of fucking cancer because he once stuck up for his friends

what the fuck is wrong with some of you

topleybird 09-17-2021 09:50 AM

Unfortunately MyOneAndOnly's wish has reverberated through time, and Norm now did in fact suffer from a total of 18 years of cancer agony

No takebacks, I'm afraid

BlissedandGone2 09-17-2021 04:01 PM

Great thoughts on the dude from Conan, Andy and Frank Smiley: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1PR...db704d252f4bc5