Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   You Know I'm Chat Thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187148)

ilikeplanets 07-29-2020 10:22 AM

I've driven across the country and back twice and still can't fucking do it.

Disco King 07-30-2020 01:45 PM

The thing with the "it takes practice" thing is that for many other things, practicing something can be done in a much lower pressure environment than performing that thing. For example, you can practice your instrument at home before playing a recital. You can practice a sport before playing the big game. You can practice in a flight simulator before flying a plane.

But really, the only way to practice driving is to drive. And when you're driving, there's always the possibility that any error you make could have serious consequences or lead to an accident.

Sure, you could drive on some deserted country road, but then you're not really "practicing" being aware of traffic controls, other drivers, pedestrians, parking in tight spaces, etc.

I've already done and passed driving school (somehow), so I don't think I want to fork out more money to do that again. I don't know how else to practice, though.

FoolofaTook 07-30-2020 01:53 PM

Maybe just walk?

FlamingGlobes 07-30-2020 01:55 PM

You think he needs practice with that?

FoolofaTook 07-30-2020 02:25 PM

pls flbs

FlamingGlobes 07-30-2020 02:54 PM

FoolofaTook 07-30-2020 03:09 PM

WARNING: NSFW

https://ssnet.org/

MplsTaper 07-30-2020 03:12 PM

ovary 07-30-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4554450)
The thing with the "it takes practice" thing is that for many other things, practicing something can be done in a much lower pressure environment than performing that thing. For example, you can practice your instrument at home before playing a recital. You can practice a sport before playing the big game. You can practice in a flight simulator before flying a plane.

But really, the only way to practice driving is to drive. And when you're driving, there's always the possibility that any error you make could have serious consequences or lead to an accident.

Sure, you could drive on some deserted country road, but then you're not really "practicing" being aware of traffic controls, other drivers, pedestrians, parking in tight spaces, etc.

I've already done and passed driving school (somehow), so I don't think I want to fork out more money to do that again. I don't know how else to practice, though.

so many words. just go drive the fucking car man.

buzzard 07-30-2020 09:01 PM

Grip that steering wheel like the bootstraps it represents, Jooey Deschanel.

reprise85 07-30-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

There are driving classes where they have special cars where the passenger has break/gas pedals if you really want to practice safely. But parking in tight spaces and stuff, just be overly cautious and avoid things that are too tight for comfort, over time that will tighten up.

buzzard 07-30-2020 11:20 PM

With reversing cameras now shipping as a fairly standard feature on run-of-the-mill models and self-parking systems at the pricier end of the car scale, being a dab hand at parallel parking is soon to be about as useful as accurate spear-throwing or genuine musical talent.

FlamingGlobes 07-31-2020 05:57 AM

Kids these days have it too easy etc.

vixnix 07-31-2020 07:57 AM

I learned to parallel park by using reverse sensors and reversing cameras first, and driving a smaller car. You can probably get a reversing camera from aliexpress and install it yourself...I have friends who did that for an older car they had. It might relieve some of the anxiety about hitting pedestrians (it definitely does for me) so then you're a bit more relaxed

smashingjj 07-31-2020 02:44 PM

precies

smashingjj 07-31-2020 02:45 PM

altijd al geweten

Joey Goldberg 07-31-2020 04:02 PM

the fuck? speak english ye dawse coont!

FoolofaTook 07-31-2020 04:53 PM

Joey Goldberg 07-31-2020 04:55 PM

i was thinking more

FoolofaTook 07-31-2020 04:56 PM

FoolofaTook 07-31-2020 04:57 PM

looks like liam was having an early 4/20

run2pee 07-31-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Good point. Yeah. Learning to drive was terrofying. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Sorry u have to go thru this, but you’ll get more confident at it. Probably. Maybe.

Joey Goldberg 07-31-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4554569)

Liam's tweet notifications are honestly probably the only reason I even have the Twitter app on my phone still, tbh

FoolofaTook 07-31-2020 08:08 PM

damn you gonna do fuzzy like that?

:noway:

Ram27 07-31-2020 10:47 PM

i just got home 2 hours later than i should've from work. i have band practice in the morning and now i'm gonna be in an awful mood cause i can't ever sleep when i have a commitment early in the morning

tons of workers are leaving for school so we're gonna be really understaffed for a month or so. [i guess they can't hire new people???] two of the managers are married and bring their 4 [f o u r] 10-ish year old kids with them who sit in the lobby and act like loud annoying kids. i hate kids

i'm. having. a. fucking. blast.

smashingjj 08-01-2020 12:33 AM

pregnant babies

smashingjj 08-01-2020 12:34 AM

pregnant babies pregnant with pregnant babies

Ram27 08-01-2020 11:29 AM

just played 2 hours of bar band trax. then took a shower listening to mazzy star. being emo doesn't pay

FoolofaTook 08-01-2020 11:45 AM

that's not all that happened in the shower, is it?

Ram27 08-02-2020 01:49 AM

i was all jungle drummed out

~

just stayed two hours past close doing bullshit cleaning bullshit. the other dude with me is like some Christian guy who's always mild mannered. just chatting away at the veritable fucking motherfucking daycare children without a care in the world, as tho it's not 3am

AGH