Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   You Know I'm Chat Thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187148)

ilikeplanets 03-16-2022 02:23 PM

Thanks. I have no delusions that this is going to be some sort of permanent career for me, but I should really be paid for time spent. Just need to think of it as skill building that allows me to pay for most of my things, I guess. I was definitely completely terrified of the work force when I entered here, and I'm not anymore. Bored and disenchanted yes, but not scared.

topleybird 03-16-2022 03:02 PM

The shift to remote work has really revealed the tiny dictator mindset in loads of managers. I've read about people where they're so closely monitored that their manager will call them if they're away from their desk, or just not moving their mouse/typing, for more than a minute. Study after study is showing that remote work is more productive than in-office work, and has done wonders for employee well-being/work-life balance, but managers just can't deal with not being able to walk around looking over everyone's shoulder every 30 seconds to make sure they're working non-stop. Now they're taking screenshots of your screen every 30 seconds. Or taking photos of you from your camera! No privacy concerns there!

I'm lucky enough not to have monitoring software on my work laptop (that I know of!) and a manager who trusts me to get my shit done, but I've been in some pretty shitty situations in the past, and the way that's becoming the norm since the pandemic started just makes me want to burn it all down.

ilikeplanets 03-16-2022 03:38 PM

Speaking from personal experience, my productivity with the type of simple task I do is extremely high, to the point I have to slow myself down so as not to exceed quota. (That's NOT a brag, I do extremely simple and poorly paid work). But I very much need to look away from the screen every 45 minutes or so just for a couple minutes to reset my mind/eyes. I cannot imagine someone taking a goddamn picture of my screen/me.

Part of my specific problem is that my hours are calculated based on my time spent logged in to my rating tool, but to read the things I must rate, I have to click a link and read from the page that opens. Previously, as long as I was logged in to my rating tool, I would be getting paid, but now any time spent on the other tab reading articles is considered not billable. So even errant clicking wouldn't solve that problem. It's bullshit.

Micromanaging infuriates me because there's no positive that comes from it. People are perfectly capable of meeting deadlines/quotas without it, and happier. FOR SHAME.

reprise85 03-17-2022 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4590460)
Anybody have anything to talk about?? I'm in need of hearing about other people's lives, badly. I'm huge and tired, and have somewhere around 3 more months to go, so I wanna fill up my mind with something else, even though this is amazing.

I'm moving in about two months. Looking at some places now. Well, my friends are, with me on a video call. I found this amazing apartment in a triplex that's a bit expensive but includes heat and I would love to get it. I put in an initial application but I'm sure other people are trying to get it as well... I have good stats as a renter, so fingers crossed. The fucking main bedroom closet is big enough to be a small office.

reprise85 03-17-2022 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4590486)
Speaking from personal experience, my productivity with the type of simple task I do is extremely high, to the point I have to slow myself down so as not to exceed quota. (That's NOT a brag, I do extremely simple and poorly paid work). But I very much need to look away from the screen every 45 minutes or so just for a couple minutes to reset my mind/eyes. I cannot imagine someone taking a goddamn picture of my screen/me.

Part of my specific problem is that my hours are calculated based on my time spent logged in to my rating tool, but to read the things I must rate, I have to click a link and read from the page that opens. Previously, as long as I was logged in to my rating tool, I would be getting paid, but now any time spent on the other tab reading articles is considered not billable. So even errant clicking wouldn't solve that problem. It's bullshit.

Micromanaging infuriates me because there's no positive that comes from it. People are perfectly capable of meeting deadlines/quotas without it, and happier. FOR SHAME.

Get a second shitty laptop and use software to share mice and clipboards between the computers. Open links on the second computer. This is how I solved the problem of working too fast when I was doing similar work. I just let my timer run out on one computer while I did stuff on another one and shared mice between them. I used Synergy, which was a one-time fee (no SaaS shit) of like $20-$30. But there are free ones as well. No fucks given, they were taking advantage of me at $11/hr and I got audited every single month and got great scores.

Fuck them though fr. If people are meeting quotas you have no right to question them and if they aren't you can fire them. They are just encouraging people to spend less time reading and shooting themselves in the foot.

ilikeplanets 03-17-2022 12:10 AM

It explicitly says in my contract to NOT be working jobs from multiple windows like that. I bet someone, or many someones, have tried this. I'm the type that would rather just get a new job than be sneaky. Hoping by the end of year after I move, that I'll have more options.

ilikeplanets 03-17-2022 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4590487)
I'm moving in about two months. Looking at some places now. Well, my friends are, with me on a video call. I found this amazing apartment in a triplex that's a bit expensive but includes heat and I would love to get it. I put in an initial application but I'm sure other people are trying to get it as well... I have good stats as a renter, so fingers crossed. The fucking main bedroom closet is big enough to be a small office.

That's exciting!! I hope you get it. Are you planning on living with your friends or by yourself?

reprise85 03-17-2022 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4590489)
It explicitly says in my contract to NOT be working jobs from multiple windows like that. I bet someone, or many someones, have tried this. I'm the type that would rather just get a new job than be sneaky. Hoping by the end of year after I move, that I'll have more options.

I get it, but they're the ones being shitty here. You'd just be getting paid what you should get paid. But yeah I got tired of it and just quit when some other projects took off.

reprise85 03-17-2022 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4590490)
That's exciting!! I hope you get it. Are you planning on living with your friends or by yourself?

It would be by myself. Two bedrooms so I can have an office.

If this doesn't work out I'm still hoping to get a two bed or if not it should be a big one bed (800+ sq ft) so I can section off an area for an office. My desk works fine in my living room here but no one actually comes over so it's not like it matters. I expect I will have visitors there sometimes and also my mom will probably visit pretty often.

ilikeplanets 03-17-2022 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4590491)
I get it, but they're the ones being shitty here. You'd just be getting paid what you should get paid. But yeah I got tired of it and just quit when some other projects took off.

Are they hiring? Mildly serious

reprise85 03-17-2022 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4590494)

Unfortunately they are not, but if referrals open up I will let you know for sure.

yo soy el mejor 03-17-2022 03:01 PM

man, so i work in development/fundraising at a place in a predominately black neighborhood, but of course my whole department is white because fundraising is white. whatever. but they are hiring for a role that is above me and my direct supervisor told me in confidence that she and our black executive director think a white professional fundraising woman (basically a total dullard) would be best to "get us into certain spaces" and come with "networks."

i was like, uh, i get it. but then i walked away and the whole thing gave me a bad taste. i brought it up today and said i was disappointed because on one hand there is a stated goal to "de-center" whiteness where i work but caring about who white donors are comfortable being a room with is just centering whiteness.

i mean, if a donor won't give to us because a non-white is asking then we shouldn't want their money. but it also makes me wonder if i have any room for advancement if those things are considerations. thankfully she was really receptive and dollars 2 donuts she is going to "run that up the flagpole" especially with her being the only white lady on the racial justice committee at work.

ah woe to me. never satisfied and for good reason.
'

yo soy el mejor 03-17-2022 03:38 PM

it sort of boils my blood, but i am flattered they do ask me a lot about language choices are letting me steer the fundraising philosophy and internal language guide and whatnot. especially for being so new, but i don't want to write anything that is lip service or not actually happening. i refuse to perpetuate that!

ilikeplanets 03-17-2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4590506)

i mean, if a donor won't give to us because a non-white is asking then we shouldn't want their money.
'

Sadly, money is the number one reason people compromise on their values. Theoretically not wanting money from a donor who has racist tendencies, whether conscious or unconcious, is noble...but then there's the problem of needing that money to fund the cause and help erase this sort of problem in the first place. Which is better? These types of conversations make me really uncomfortable, but I think it's important to recognize.

yo soy el mejor 03-20-2022 08:42 AM

in my opinion, it's not a matter of which is better, but which is right. plus, they ask me (the only mexican and non-white in development there) how to diversify our donor-base and i keep repeating that they need to stop putting rich white people on a pedestal and diversify fundraising staff. and i back that up with research that shows what is needed to have what is called 'equitable philanthropy'.

there is a real hesitancy to ask people with low-income to donate among npo places but that's classist and strips away choice. instead they glom onto rich people and suck their buttholes and that's the job. but if a place puts their efforts into establishing relationships and making monetary asks of people who care about their communities but don't have a lot of money, they could still raise a lot and maybe more. but that means letting go of a lot of commonly held beliefs such as those you stated (we need rich people and their money and "expertise"...because when they donate they also want to donate their opinions on how shit runs).

ovary 03-20-2022 12:23 PM

if you are concerned with doing "what is right" you should get out of the fundraising/nonprofit game. they're all just tax shelters and embezzlement schemes

yo soy el mejor 03-20-2022 12:51 PM

i really don't need a lesson on the npic but thanks

yo soy el mejor 03-20-2022 01:03 PM

too bad we all can't work at ben and jerry's or be funded to open bookstores and fresh food markets and whatnot

if i had mad skrilla and time, i'd love to take care of a laundry mat with an attached bookstore and snack place because snacks are the best. candied pecans, chopped up bell peppers with some lemon and salt, strawberry shortcake, deviled eggs, elote, sliced mango with cayenne or tajin, chicharrones with valentine, cucumber salad, fresh juices and so on. then with my other skrilla, i;d just do nice things for people. ah, that would be the life. laundry mats were fun to me but they could be kicked up a notch. especially with their being essential in low-income communities.

now i kinda wanna see how much it costs to buy one just out of curiosity.

ilikeplanets 03-20-2022 01:19 PM

That's interesting, about asking people of different income brackets. My father's job has involved lots of large scale fundraising for decades, and they always focus on the wealthy so they can get the most out of the least effort. That's surely a practiced rooted somewhat in laziness but I guess there's also a measure of efficiency in that philosophy. A big deciding factor would definitely be what the cause is. Change is hard.

yo soy el mejor 03-20-2022 01:26 PM

it's mostly rooted in classism (which has racial implications) is the thing

yo soy el mejor 03-20-2022 01:33 PM

ya know when homer simpson says alcohol is the cause and solution too all of life's problem? well, rich people see themselves and their money as the solution to societal problems that they cause (and they've fooled poor people into believing it, too) so it's all a big tangled mess and people are indoctrinated to believe it's the only way to function. it's the definition of insanity!

yo soy el mejor 03-20-2022 01:40 PM

https://www.loopnet.com/biz/Business...r-sale/1792067

$69,000

some others all the way up 1.5 million smackers!

Ram27 03-20-2022 09:54 PM

thank god this forum exists. these older, shall i say golden era, websites are what made the internet great

there's so much in the modern era that's fucking dumb and fucking lame. and everything feels so ephemeral

context: i got banned for a day from a subreddit for mentioning the news alert about Clarence Thomas cause 'politics'. i mean fucking hell who the fuck cares

Ram27 03-20-2022 09:56 PM

also fuck that guy. great shit

topleybird 03-21-2022 08:44 AM

1) The day zombo.com goes down forever is the day I detach from the internet 4 lyfe

2) Absolutely, fuck Clarence

yo soy el mejor 03-21-2022 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeplanets (Post 4590494)

https://remotive.io/?live_jobs%5Bref...%5D=USA%20Only

this site has only remote jobs. you can sort by job category or key word... kinda wish i had gone that route after finishing school last year. c'est la vie!

ilikeplanets 03-21-2022 09:17 PM

Yay, thank you!! I plan to spend the next weekend or two trying to find something better but that still has flexibility, this helps.

Nimrod's Son 03-28-2022 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4590601)
ya know when homer simpson says alcohol is the cause and solution too all of life's problem? well, rich people see themselves and their money as the solution to societal problems that they cause (and they've fooled poor people into believing it, too) so it's all a big tangled mess and people are indoctrinated to believe it's the only way to function. it's the definition of insanity!

lol wut? glad to see some people are still dumb as ever

ilikeplanets 04-14-2022 01:01 PM

Anyone ever had to take a glucose test? I had to chug an evil potion that had 100 grams of sugar in 5 minutes, after fasting for 12 hours. And then stay at the doctor's office for 3.5 more hours, still fasting, while they drew my blood every hour on the hour. I was fine with normal results for the first 3 draws, but after not eating for over 16 hours my sugar tanked to 46 for the last draw and they couldn't let me leave until it came back up with shitty hospital snacks. Not a fun day, but hey I don't have diabetes.

ilikeplanets 05-08-2022 08:20 PM

It fucking snowed today. In May. Wtf. Bring on the summer already.