Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Billy's imploding voice (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=176640)

slippedonshoe 06-19-2012 07:32 PM

Billy's imploding voice

Listening to Oceania I realize what really puts me off his new stuff: His voice. It just doesn't sound as engaging as his old voice. There's not as much emotion in it anymore. It almost seems as if he's trying to sound more mature and not as weepy as in the old days. I cannot imagine him singing "Today" or "33" with his new voice and making the songs work as well as with his old voice. And one more thing: Where the heck does "Oceania" sound like Old School Pumpkins? I expected a heavy album and instead we get 11 songs reminiscent of elevator music. The first two songs rock but the remaining songs are ruined by Billy's lame-ass voice AND the lame melodies reminiscent of ZWAN crap.

Catherine Wheel 06-19-2012 07:35 PM

His voice definitely sinks the quality of the album.

iPumpkin 06-19-2012 08:09 PM

Best Bill vocals in 10-12 years.

Trotskilicious 06-19-2012 08:11 PM

yeah i'm not buying all this whining about his vox on the album, i actually kind of enjoy some of the things he does with his vocals. honestly it seems he's actually thinking about how to sing it or deliver it instead of just belting it out with every emotional bone in his body. we can't all be angsty 20 somethings forever.

guys i dunno if you know this but the older you get the less incredibly emotional and important it all seems, so uh

redbreegull 06-19-2012 08:56 PM

agreed his voice is better on this album. Still wish he would stick some reverb or something on it but at least it is mixed back a bit

slippedonshoe 06-19-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 3873947)
yeah i'm not buying all this whining about his vox on the album, i actually kind of enjoy some of the things he does with his vocals. honestly it seems he's actually thinking about how to sing it or deliver it instead of just belting it out with every emotional bone in his body. we can't all be angsty 20 somethings forever.

guys i dunno if you know this but the older you get the less incredibly emotional and important it all seems, so uh

So phoning it in is okay instead of just calling it a day? What great things does Billy do with his voice on OCEANIA? He sounds monotonous in vain search for a melody. He sounds tired and old. Even on ZEITGEIST he sounded better.

meangreensp 06-19-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slippedonshoe (Post 3874089)
So phoning it in is okay instead of just calling it a day? What great things does Billy do with his voice on OCEANIA? He sounds monotonous in vain search for a melody. He sounds tired and old. Even on ZEITGEIST he sounded better.

Hahahahahahahhaha.

Fuck off.

Corgan's vocals are way better here.

And, sorry that it's not metul snuff for u. Not MCIS.

His voice is definitely not that good anymore, but it's the best it's been in years here.

fluxequalsrad 06-19-2012 11:36 PM

His vocals need more reverb/delay. It is beyond me why every single aging musician dries up their studio treatment in the vocal booth - is this a pride thing or something?

Billy even back upped his guitars with too much verb, which seems completely at odds with his whole 'metal ideology'...

BlissedandGone2 06-20-2012 01:22 AM

stop making this fucking thread