Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   i fucking love science (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180960)

reprise85 05-22-2014 08:25 PM

People under 12k are extremely poor. 18k is still pretty damn poor, but you can make it if you're frugal and have no dependents or credit card debt and get lucky with your home arraignments. at least until you get sick or need new transportation and start a whirl wind of debt. honestly i want to meet someone who is in the same boat as me who wants to share expenses and fuck once in a while but not get married just so things are easier financially.

not really but sort of.

Order 66 05-22-2014 08:28 PM

maybe if they didn't spend their food stamps on schlitz and cadillacs...

Trotskilicious 05-22-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sppunk (Post 4062314)
I just learned the poverty value for 1 person is below $12,000. I thought it'd be like $22,000. How anyone can live on that little money is unsettling.

they can't

this country is monstrous

you're one of the reasons why it's like that btw

but perhaps you've grown out of your libertardianism

Order 66 05-22-2014 08:35 PM

"i was in line at a grocery store and saw this black guy use his lone star card to buy a case of beer and blunts then i followed him outside and he got into a BMW"

it's like the kid in high school who got so fried he thought he was a glass of orange juice and you can't tip him over. no matter where you are this story is always recounted

Trotskilicious 05-22-2014 08:55 PM

or how about the ones from high school where "my friend was going to get into MIT but some black person who got a c average made it in because affirmative action"

the stuff about using food stamps at fast food is particularly bewildering because it's not accepted there. I think i would know if it was.

maybe it varies from state to state but food stamps in texas don't allow for that, or buying alcohol or tobaccy

also it's impossible to get them unless you are completely destitute

working for the ACS you start to notice that there's also a benefits gap, as in you are pretty poor but you make "too much money" to qualify for something because 1) it's for the truly destitute and/or 2) you got another form of assistance, which isn't enough, which disqualifies you from further benefits

seriously when you start trying to find financial assistance for people with serious cancer diagnoses and finding nothing you really wonder what kind of society you live in

i want to know who goes "well it's your fault you got cancer, you should have planned to have a dehabilitating, costly disease. Selfishness is a virtue."

Trotskilicious 05-22-2014 08:58 PM

that's why it pisses me off so much when bourgoisie trash like vixnix claims to be poor because she can't afford drop 400 dollars on dinner whenever she wants

pavementtune 05-22-2014 09:00 PM

This is based on a poverty line at 60% of the median income, 2009.

UK 2012 it was 1 out of 5 living below poverty line.

http://www.poverty.org.uk/01/c.png

Trotskilicious 05-22-2014 09:24 PM

oh wait by your graph data that's not even a true statement

1 out of 5 is 20%, that bar there is just over 15%

pavementtune 05-22-2014 09:30 PM

The graph data is 2009.

UK 20% is 2012.

MyOneAndOnly 05-22-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4062343)
or how about the ones from high school where "my friend was going to get into MIT but some black person who got a c average made it in because affirmative action"

the stuff about using food stamps at fast food is particularly bewildering because it's not accepted there. I think i would know if it was.

maybe it varies from state to state but food stamps in texas don't allow for that, or buying alcohol or tobaccy

also it's impossible to get them unless you are completely destitute

I deal regularly with the regulations for WIC and SNAP programs in 5 states. Whenever I hear people saying stupid shit like people using their SNAP cards for beer or junk food or cigs it really pisses me off. they can't. It simply doesn't happen.

Regulations in all states on what is allowable for purchase under SNAP and WIC are strict. Chain stores also enforce the regulation at their headquarters, which means that people like me flag the specific UPCs in the system that people are allowed to buy with their cards. When all is said and done it's only a fraction of what's available in a store and it doesn't allow any of the stupid shit that people bitch about the poors buying.

Under WIC for instance you can't buy most of the kids cereals in the store. If you want a can of tuna it has to be ONLY the cheapest 5oz can. it's only basic food items in it doesn't allow much of anything else. On top of that it's not much money. I'm amazed people can even feed their kids on it.

reprise85 05-22-2014 11:02 PM

people like to get mad at those who use WIC and ask me "was the food stamps? burden on society etc" and i just want to say "no motherfucker, that was wic, and half the people in line right now are going to use food stamps on their food and you'd never know because it's electronic and you shouldnt even give a damn'. people are assholes. i dont even notice when people use food stamps unless they have non covered items and it pops up that they still owe more. who gives a fuck, yay the government does some things right.

id also like to point out that when i made $12k i was eligible for $16 a month in food stamps and a limit on my out of pocket on medications ("extra help" for medicare part D) and nothing else.

D. 05-22-2014 11:04 PM

In Missouri unemployment comes on a card or directly into your bank account. I sure as shit bought booze and tobacco the four or five months I was on it.

Yes I know this is about food stamps I just wanted to post.

Bread Regal 05-22-2014 11:42 PM

the restrictions on SNAP are very weird. the wife worked at 7-11 which accepted it for just about everything in the store except everything that was hot. red bull? ok. coffee? nope. if you bought one of those prepackaged sandwiches, yes. if you wanted them to put it in the grill press? no. SNAP customers weren't even allowed to use the microwave.

the distinction between prepared foods and non-prepared foods was whether it was hot or not.

and the thing that drives me really crazy is that SNAP is probably the biggest subsidy you could possibly give to the agriculture industry and the GOP would prefer to mainline the money directly to them instead of feeding the hungry in the process. they are just driven by spite and seem to have forgotten the guillotine.

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 12:33 AM

wic is even more restrictive than food stamps as it's intended to keep babies healthy pretty much full stop

food stamp restrictions are generally moronic. it is pretty irritating that you can get your kids big gulps and cheetos puffs with food stamps but you know what i'd rather them do that than not have it at all

but i think they should only be used for Real Food

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062376)

and the thing that drives me really crazy is that SNAP is probably the biggest subsidy you could possibly give to the agriculture industry and the GOP would prefer to mainline the money directly to them instead of feeding the hungry in the process. they are just driven by spite and seem to have forgotten the guillotine.

"Why should we help lazy people who choose to be poor? They'll never get a job if we do that."

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. (Post 4062369)
In Missouri unemployment comes on a card or directly into your bank account. I sure as shit bought booze and tobacco the four or five months I was on it.

Yes I know this is about food stamps I just wanted to post.

i bought weed with unemployment money

and i was glad to do it

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 12:39 AM

the united states government funded my december 2012 when all i did was smoke incredible amounts of dope and play skyrim

Bread Regal 05-23-2014 12:41 AM

see, that statement reflects a misunderstanding of how behavior modification works and while the constituents might actually believe that, i think the politicians have a different motive: straight up malevolence. they'd prefer famine if they could stay in office.

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 12:42 AM

i think they are exactly like their constituents. they believe that they work hard and america and freedom and then all these people are sucking us dry like vampires because they are lazy and teach a fish man how to feed for a day

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 12:42 AM


vixnix 05-23-2014 01:01 AM

Poor was the wrong word to use, I guess. Politically inert with no real hope of that ever changing, and being confined to a life mostly lived according to somebody else's preferences, is what I meant, I guess.

I thought things were going to change and I wouldn't 'to have to feel terrible about how hopeless I am at doing anything worthwhile. But it didn't happen. So I do what poor trash ( even poor trash with money ) does - I watch tv, post on message boards, and eat highly processed and carefully designed junk food.

Bread Regal 05-23-2014 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4062387)
i think they are exactly like their constituents. they believe that they work hard and america and freedom and then all these people are sucking us dry like vampires because they are lazy and teach a fish man how to feed for a day

i disagree. i think when people starve as a result of policy, ignorance is just not plausible. the phrase "let them eat cake" gives the plutocrats far too much credit.

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4062389)
confined to a life mostly lived according to somebody else's preferences

wow

Trotskilicious 05-23-2014 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062390)
i disagree. i think when people starve as a result of policy, ignorance is just not plausible. the phrase "let them eat cake" gives the plutocrats far too much credit.

http://www.amazon.com/Eichmann-Jerus.../dp/0143039881

I'm Hardcore 05-23-2014 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4062325)
I have to say though, nowadays people call themselves poor and yet they have fridges and Tv's! Come on! those are luxuries! And then they want handouts!? You're not poor, you have ways to keep your food cold!

are you fucking serious

The exploding boy 05-23-2014 02:57 AM

.......no.


I cant wait until ive been on this forum long enough so people can tell when i am and when i'm not (generally not)

But sicne you ask...this is soemthing i remembered from Daily show last year...i cant remember the details now but some fuck on tv, fox news guy or whatnot, basically said what i just said.

I'm Hardcore 05-23-2014 04:22 AM

please forgive me for not being able to gauge levels of seriousness on an internet message board

MusicMan4 05-23-2014 07:27 AM

i liked a page called i fucking hate "i fucking love science" and all they do is occasionally post some of the worst ifls and neil tyson fanpage memes but it's nice to feel smug about being in a group of people who see through the bullshit

MyOneAndOnly 05-23-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. (Post 4062369)
In Missouri unemployment comes on a card or directly into your bank account. I sure as shit bought booze and tobacco the four or five months I was on it.

Yes I know this is about food stamps I just wanted to post.

the difference is that unemployment benefits are a form of insurance, not "welfare"

reprise85 05-23-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4062376)
and the thing that drives me really crazy is that SNAP is probably the biggest subsidy you could possibly give to the agriculture industry and the GOP would prefer to mainline the money directly to them instead of feeding the hungry in the process. they are just driven by spite and seem to have forgotten the guillotine.

I like to remind my fellow employees that without SNAP our jobs probably wouldn't exist whenever they complain about food stamps.

I had a big argument/debate with my last supervisor about the Real Food thing. Yes, they should only be used for Real Food, however it is impossible to account for the myriad of possible exceptions, not to mention the arbitrary nature of some Real Food vs Junk Food (for example, fruit juice is not much healthier than soda).

The best one is when someone buys beer with cash and food with SNAP and people are like "they shouldn't do that!" and it's like, well yes in a perfect world, but in our world people do things because they are stressed or addicted to something and who are you to take away their recreation just because you don't agree with it, when you'd probably be fine with them going to the movies or something else like that that isn't a "vice" even though it's really the same damn thing.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2022