Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   In case you missed it: Music Board update (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=133244)

Nate the Grate 01-14-2007 05:08 PM

In case you missed it: Music Board update

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzle
the vocal comparison was a minor suggestion. i said i don't understand how someone like dylan can get praised for effectively retreading the same musical ground for 50 years, when there are musicians like corgan who are constantly creative and keep evolving succesfully, who are brilliant songwriters in their own right, but don't get the attention they deserve, or even get slated. i know its ridiculous to be comparing bc to dylan anyway, but relatively speaking, i think it would be pretty easy to argue that corgan has done more for music (not necessarily words/vocals though) in 18 years than dylan has done in 50.

I don't mean to pick on the kid, but really now...

Quote:

i have heard some of his albums. blood on the tracks, rolling stone, time out of mind, love and theft most recently, and other songs. let's make it clear that i like dylan, he's certainly a genius and his lyrics are indisputably some of the best ever. i also appreciate that being a man of his own time and place, his influences are different to someone like bc's. but whereas dylan was more of an interpreter of traditional music (that have been repeated and rehashed ceaselessly since their inception, with little innovation or new creative approach), there are modern bands and songwriters who can take old music, modern genres and even invent genres and still throw them at you in a different way. i use the pumpkins as a prime example of this. the pumpkins' songs reference old and recent music, yet they sound like nothing else by anyone, virtually no two of their songs even sound anything alike, sometimes their songs aren't even about anything at all, and yet a they somehow make a more profound impact on some people's lives than any other band/songwriter. enough impact to make them type bombastic stupid shit like this. so what's the secret ingredient? billy probably said it best himself: "good music obliterates any concept of genre". its not hard to try doing things differently, and its infinitely more rewarding when you do. that's a musical virtue i think dylan, like a good 90% of musicians worldwide, neglect, and probably always will.

Quote:

sorry, i didn't see your post. that fart in the studio comment was just facetious and you know it isn't true. although, to be honest, i'm sure thats just the sort of ironic stunt that would give many people a kick if it actually happened. and if i sound like i'll eat up anything billy does, then its simply because i've paid close attention to him and i can see that he has a good reason for everything he does. he's not stupid, and if he told me he wanted to start a band called zwan or tfe i'd wait to see what came of it and i'd do my best to look through it before slating it off. case in point- tfe is misunderstood, zwan was superficially a joke that few people got. billy's always thinking ahead.

I'm honestly not trying to pick on Izzle, but he needs some help. He sound like me when I was 14. I remember arguing with someone once about how the Pumpkins were soooo much better than the Beatles. I mean, Ringo wasn't even that great of a drummer!

redbull 01-14-2007 05:11 PM

DONT FORGET TO PACK A WIFE

Nimrod's Son 01-14-2007 05:17 PM

everything in quotes above is fucking retarded

Mayfuck 01-14-2007 05:23 PM

this comes as no surprise to anyone here who has boarded long enough to know isle doesn't know shit about anything and for him to keep babbling on like some kind of informed commentator on subjects he knows nothing about is embarassing to himself and this messageboard.

pale blue eyes 01-14-2007 05:23 PM

Ugh, seeing them all in a row like that is making my stomach turn.

Nate the Grate 01-14-2007 05:26 PM

...and that was only the 2nd page of the thread...and didn't include all of his posts...

brendo_91 01-14-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Grate
Ringo wasn't even that great of a drummer!

Technically, he wasnt - musically, he was.

You can be a great drummer without needing 5 rack toms, 4 splash cymbals, two rides, double kick drums, a piccolo snare and a cowbell.

pale blue eyes 01-14-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

...and that was only the 2nd page of the thread...and didn't include all of his posts...

I know. I've been over there...and that is why I've come to the general board. I needed a breather.

Izzle 01-14-2007 06:00 PM

for what its worth though, guys, i can't tell you how much i love arguing with you

Rarely 01-14-2007 06:01 PM

lol corgan is a terrible vocalist

Nate the Grate 01-14-2007 06:03 PM

I suppose it's not as bad as some of the weirdos on the trading board...why do they know the specifics of every freakin concert recording? Tate to break it to you guys, but Today sounded the same pretty much every time they played it.

Izzle 01-14-2007 06:04 PM

tru dat.

pale blue eyes 01-14-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

I suppose it's not as bad as some of the weirdos on the trading board...why do they know the specifics of every freakin concert recording? Tate to break it to you guys, but Today sounded the same pretty much every time they played it.

Yeah, I'll second this. At least your arguments are coherent. I go over to the SP boards and it's like a foreign country sometimes.

I'maskingforit! 01-14-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendo_91
You can be a great drummer without needing a cowbell.

lets not get carried away now.

redbull 01-14-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pale blue eyes
Yeah, I'll second this. At least your arguments are coherent. I go over to the SP boards and it's like a foreign country sometimes.

trading board =/= regular sp board

ie we dont abuse animals

pale blue eyes 01-14-2007 06:51 PM

Ah, sorry I meant board right there. I don't really go over to the trading board, admittedly.

mistle 01-14-2007 06:53 PM

lol you RUKE james!

ravenguy2000 01-14-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayfuck
this comes as no surprise to anyone here who has boarded long enough to know isle doesn't know shit about anything

Not even shampoo/conditioner? He looks knowledgable.

Izzle 01-14-2007 06:56 PM

i use whatever's lying around, really

mistle 01-14-2007 06:58 PM

fuck these squares. come to my thread instead!

Izzle 01-14-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistle
fuck these squares. come to my thread instead!

i'm there!

aldango 01-14-2007 07:57 PM

Like you fuckers know any better than he does...

RopeyLopey 01-14-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

I know. I've been over there...and that is why I've come to the general board. I needed a breather.

why did you even bother with him? You've never seen his babbling about 4:33 way back?

pale blue eyes 01-14-2007 09:49 PM

I don't know. It was like somebody poking fun at my grandpa or something. I couldn't just sit there and do nothing!

Izzle 01-14-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RopeyLopey
why did you even bother with him? You've never seen his babbling about 4:33 way back?

i was arguing that it wasn't music, right? mariner explained his argument much better than i did, so i consider that one an indirect victory anyway.

Izzle 01-14-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

I don't know. It was like somebody poking fun at my grandpa or something. I couldn't just sit there and do nothing!

aw i feel bad now

sorry p.b.e

Azael 01-14-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

but Today sounded the same pretty much every time they played it.

But... it didn't....

brendo_91 01-14-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'maskingforit!
lets not get carried away now.

Hey now, you gotta leave SOMETHING for the cowbellist to do.

pale blue eyes 01-14-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

aw i feel bad now

sorry p.b.e

HMPH!

mpp 01-14-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

I remember arguing with someone once about how the Pumpkins were soooo much better than the Beatles. I mean, Ringo wasn't even that great of a drummer!

yeah, he sounds like me in 1997

i didn't even buy "ok computer" b/c i loved SP so much and i thought radiohead was stealing their thunder; i thought that "mcis" did so much more for music than "ok computer" and was mad that radiohead got a lot of credit for an album i thought was only ok

but that was 9 years ago...today the dylan remarks just sound dumb and i can see that "ok computer" was a vastly important album than mcis (however, i still like "mcis" better, i can see that's just my opinion and a mark of when i was born in the grand scheme of things)